User Tag List

View Poll Results: Aren't we all racists?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in a way.

    19 26.39%
  • No way.

    16 22.22%
  • Prejudiced, but not racist.

    37 51.39%
First 8910111220 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 210

  1. #91
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    I would have voted yes with no caveats if that option had been available. Humans are naturally racist. It's a survival mechanism.

    I've seen some people in this thread state things like "children are not racist", and that makes racism unnatural. I disagree. Children adopt the racist ideals of the society in which they are raised (as long as they are accepted in that society). I think it's flawed to call that unnatural since the phenomenon exists in all societies.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #92
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    But she said it's different here, for the most part, actually she said America in general is pretty racist though.
    In my experience, America is much more classist/cliquish than racist.

    Then again, I'm not exactly from the South...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  3. #93
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I would have voted yes with no caveats if that option had been available. Humans are naturally racist. It's a survival mechanism.
    So your stance is every single person judges others as being either superior or inferior to based on their racial group?

    I say BS. It only takes one person to prove that wrong.

  4. #94
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    So your stance is every single person judges others as being either superior or inferior to based on their racial group?

    I say BS. It only takes one person to prove that wrong.
    That's not how I define racism, but if you define it that way, no. I would discuss this further, but based on your tone, it's obvious that you were only looking for a reason to be offended. So I won't waste my time with you. Good luck.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #95
    Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Would you refrain from displaying an American flag if you were surrounded by people who associated the flag with negative things?
    Absolutely; particularly, if those "negative" things included mass murder and institutional racism, with Americans being the beneficiaries of such behavior at the expense of the people I was surrounded by.


    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    More broadly, do you think people should deny (and implicitly denigrate) themselves in order to accommodate others?
    I think that people should do what feels right to them, and be known for what they do. If an individual's identity is so personally tied into the Confederate South(which existed hundreds of years before their birth), that not waving the flag about or having it decorated all over the back of their truck, results in feelings of denigration and denial, then I believe they should do what feels real to them.

    I also believe that they should perhaps go find other people who have more extensive and traumatic experiences with denigration and denial.

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Do you think your friend from high school could have done so, without losing much of who he was in the process?
    Of course. And further, rather than losing who he was, he may have very well gained a more expansive identity.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

  6. #96
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    So your stance is every single person judges others as being either superior or inferior to based on their racial group?

    I say BS. It only takes one person to prove that wrong.
    In which case they'd be mentally retarded ^.~

    The brain's designed for one primary task above any other, when it comes to thought process: it categorizes information into managable chunks to sort it.

    If yeu see someone who's got darker skin than yeu, yeur brain goes "zomg new category!" and then it associates information it percieves to be related to that category into it.

    If the first 10 black people a white person met were all lazy, then their brain would tend to make the connection that 'black people are generally lazy'. They may be able to accept that there's exceptions to that rule, but that would be the typical rule they'd follow, and it'd take alot of convincing otherwise and a staggering amount of proof to show otherwise once that connection's been made.

    Same thing, if a black person runs into their first 10 white people who are rude to them, they'll assume white people are rude.

    It's whot the brain's designed to do... correlate information and make patterns. Even if the pattern doesn't exist.

    Can yeu see shapes in clouds or paint or just random splatterings of colour? If so, yeur brain's working properly. And if so, yeu are at least SLIGHTLY racist in some way shape or form, assumming yeu've had ANY contact at all with any race other than yeur own.

    Note that there can be 'positive' racism as well, assuming one race is 'better' for a given trait... for example, assuming that 'Asians work harder'. It really isn't necessarily true at all, and is a pre-supposed concept of a race based on a false premise, and as it assumes they're 'better' than yeur own race, yeu are being self-racist by putting another as 'better' in comparison.

    In short though, yeur brain is designed to break things into categories, and associate patterns with those categories. Racial splitting is a pretty obvious category to start with, and any pattern, regardless of it being true or not, associated with that category, is a form of racism. If yeu have *ZERO* capacity for this, then yeur brain is broken and yeu probably aren't capable of conscious thought in general either.

    Some people just take it way too far, or don't recognize that their perceptions may be tainted by this method of reasoning.

  7. #97
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    I'm so confused.

    How are we defining racism.

    And how are we defining race.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  8. #98
    Diabolical Kasper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Posts
    11,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That's not how I define racism, but if you define it that way, no.
    The definition I gave is what you'd find in Webster's Dictionary.

    How do you define it?


    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    In which case they'd be mentally retarded ^.~
    Or someone who doesn't define entire races based on individuals they meet.

  9. #99
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I'm so confused.

    How are we defining racism.

    And how are we defining race.
    Race: determined by one's own self. There actually isn't any "REAL" racism physically possible as the genetic diversity among humans isn't large enough for there to be 'real' races. That's why we have "the human race" because "asians, whites, blacks, etc" aren't divergent enough to be real races. As such, the term 'race' is only whot yeu want it to be to yeurself. Specifically, it's a superficial categorization by yeur mind to define a group of people as being different from another group, based loosely upon physical attributes.

    Racism: to arbitrarily attach any predisposition of any kind to that categorized group of people; whether it's true or not has no impact whotsoever. If yeu make ANY pattern recognition with that group that yeu created by yeurself, with anything else, then yeu have been racist in some way shape or form. This pattern may actually be there, it may be accurate, but it's still racist to have set any distinctive behaviour or quality to that 'race' just because they're a member of that race.

    As such, yes, we're all racist in that manner.

    However, if people want to assume they can make their own "real races!" (not possible, yeu're just falling for my own definition because there AREN'T any REAL races) then by the very fact that they believe races exist at all, they're being racist.

    If yeu can look at everyone and ignore absolutely all physiological differences of any kind, or if yeu're incapable of pattern recognition of any kind, then yeu aren't racist. Yeu're probably also a vegitable on life support.

  10. #100
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Racism: to arbitrarily attach any predisposition of any kind to that categorized group of people; whether it's true or not has no impact whotsoever. If yeu make ANY pattern recognition with that group that yeu created by yeurself, with anything else, then yeu have been racist in some way shape or form. This pattern may actually be there, it may be accurate, but it's still racist to have set any distinctive behaviour or quality to that 'race' just because they're a member of that race.
    So you can be racist against poor people?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Similar Threads

  1. Are we all racist now?
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 12:29 AM
  2. WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST BE FWIENDS?!?!
    By Costrin in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
  3. Are we all dittoheads to some ideology?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 06:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO