• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think you have a soul? If you do, why?

Do you think you have a soul? and why?

• Yes I do belive that people have souls thanks to religious reasons.

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • I feel that I have one, therefore I do.

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • I think a soul is something which is just made up.

Votes: 28 46.7%

• Total voters

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
The concept is infinite a synonym for undenfiable. Science is wholly based on the defineable and finite world, therefore it could never disprove something infinite. Denying this concept denies the infinite. The feminine, yin...call it what you may. It also has no meaning. How can you live in world with no meaning ...or something to live for...besides laughing sardonically at everything and feeling incredibly smug and superior because of your complex reasoning facutlities?Or perhaps feeling apathetic , emotionless, and robotic? Personally, it got old pretty quickly. (I am not implying you are this way... I was speaking of a general "you")

As a matter of fact I am apathetic , emotionless, and robotic and I have been "accused" that I don't have a soul.
Tell me what you want but I don't really feel much as I am going through life that way. Also my sense of empathy is quite bad/undeveloped.
Plus the fact that I have never prayed in my life.

However I can survive without such a beliefs exactly because I am skeptical about idea that there is such a thing as meaning. And even if meaning exists I don't understand how soul has something to do with it.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I will start off by saying it is futile to attempt to define soul because it is an ineffable concept and therefore undefinable. I am sure we all get a general "feeling" about the concept we are talking about which is enough for now...

Exactly. The subjective cannot be dismissed. This is the problem of science. As long as these debates go on people are missing the point. We will NEVER understand the intangible. And the intangible will always exist. If it did not, we would not have the tangible. Just like we would not have science and reason without spiritualism and imagination. Reason has its uses and its limitations. If you subscribe solely to reason, and proudly claim your atheism, you are no better than the religious fundamentalists. You accept one side wholly and I daresay irrationally. What!?! an irrational atheist??! Sure, your reasons for being an athiest are quite rational....but you are rejecting the subjective completely (now that's irrational!), refusing to accept it has any validity. In doing so you cannot derive meaning from nothing and as Peguy said that is like saying "I am dead." And effectively you are...that is, if you are a true adherent to this. However, if you get out of bed every morning, and trust yourself to drive to work not thinking about the possibility that, or reality that, the floor might not be there when you get out of bed, or the odds of your death on the drive to work, you are placing faith in something (Those who do not are mad, they have faith in nothing,thus, no faith in life. Their reasoning is infinitely rational, but leaves no meaning). If you are alive you must have some microcosm of faith in something. If you have faith solely in reason, you will have nothing. An intelligent theory is not anything outside of itself. It has no meaning. G.K. Chesterton said:

A few more thoughts from G.K. Chesterton who understood this well. ( I am going to quote Chesterton extensively because he puts into words, beautifully, the exact thoughts I have had on this subject because of my own revelations)

About materialism … leading to nihilism.

About belief in self leading to solipsism

And now the really important part!

Which brings us to the point of this post…to defended the ineffable, infinite concept of the soul… or some sense of the immortal being (call it what you will but an infinite concept cannot be describe well enough in finite terms).

So this brings us to the Latin phrase : Credo ut intelligam… meaning “I believe so that I may understand.”

Again, this final quote from Chesterton sums this up well:

In order to live properly, you must accept this duality in life. It will never go away. In terms of Myers Briggs, T must develop its F and F must develop its T.

If you cannot understand mysticism, and the spiritual nature of man, you are doing something wrong. You are sorely missing something massively important and inexplicablly magnificent. Just because you cannot see it in front of you, or feel consumingly, it does not mean it is not there (However, sometimes it is there...you know, those unexplainble occurances like visions, true seers, NDEs...etc. Things that are universally accounted for and still unexplained.). It exists in everyone who lives. Faith, that is. Spiritualism will never be explained by science, but spiritualism does not try to explain science. They complement each other. You will never believe in soul if you do not allow yourself the possibility of its existence. To develop spiritually you need to be open to it and embrace it fully. It starts off subtle and the first step is awareness. No scientific data will convince you it exists, or make you feel this. It exists in the realm of the infinite. Science is and always will be finite. This is why I believe in the soul. Everything else becomes lucid when you place faith in the infinite. I have gone down the path of extreme solipsism and it does lead to madness. However, I realized things exist outside of me as much as things exist only inside of me. This is ok. It must be this way. Without both light and dark, we would see nothing.

excellent points you make, science is somewhat coming around though, particularly quantum mechanics, they are realizing that the subjective does matter, and that the conscious observer can change the outcome of an experiment merely by observing and directing his consciousness towards it. I came to the realization that logic and thinking does have it's limits a while ago, it's very true what you say. Logic is not and cannot perfectly define reality, reality is a weird mix of the objective and subjective, logic is just looking at that reality in a one sided way. If someone subscribes to the view that logic is superior, they are being rather narrow minded and stubborn(or irrational you would say).

I have nothing against people who believe in the soul and I can relate to their belief in many ways, it's really weird because some people look at me like I'm a religious freak and others will look at me like I'm an atheistic freak(but that perception comes from their own standpoint), there is no belonging to labels anymore, I'm just human, I try to be open to everything that humanity has to offer. And I just meant that I don't "know" and cannot really prove the souls existence, it's mostly just a matter of your subjective opinion as you say I guess, and my opinion is that there are many clues which lead me to believe that it is very possible that the soul does exist, or at least something of the sort, like spirit.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I believe in a undefinable, immaterial soul along the lines that some here have descibed (consciousness etc)

What I don't believe in is an immortal soul. This brings in a whole other element - either the divine or supernatural - which doesn't gel with my instincts. Whatever it is, it dies with you.

Sacrator

MBTI Type
ENFP
I believe in a undefinable, immaterial soul along the lines that some here have descibed (consciousness etc)

What I don't believe in is an immortal soul. This brings in a whole other element - either the divine or supernatural - which doesn't gel with my instincts. Whatever it is, it dies with you.

yeah i agree. Its so evident all you have to do is look at a person with a bad case of Alzheimers to see that the soul/consciousness can be destroyed. Once the braincells are starved of oxygen and blood all that was left of you will disappear but all in a dream of your creation brought on by natural drugs released in the brain. The thought of this really troubles some people deeply it did the same for me when i was like 5 and my mother laid it out to me. bleh that was a sad night to find out i would die someday but after awhile you just learn to make the most out of life and never take it for granted.

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
well, yeah i guess. this one shaman guy retrieved it but then i guess he forgot where he put it. so if i have one, he'd be the one to ask.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I tell you what... you define it, and I'll tell you if I have one.

That's the best part about God--if you define it vaguely enough, nobody can pin it down enough to shoot down your delusions!

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i am not sure, in how far the soul should be labeled as "mine" and/or in how far it has any hard boundaries against "other souls". the soul should not be understood as an object, but as a realm. it's contents and it's richness is a different topic altogether. another word for the realm is "the subtle". and anyone who can dream can access the subtle realm, but the subtle is more than what we usually call dream. now many questions remain open.....

R

Riva

hmmm......... non of the people who said and voted that they have a soul (feel) didn't really tell us why they think they do.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. But not due to religious reasons (so I didn't vote).

Our material bodies, and the complexity of our DNA make us individuals, but something has to make us Alive. Living beings have to draw Life from somewhere. That is Soul. It comes from the Universe (or antimatter), and infuses matter with Life. It, unlike human bodies, is the same. The same for everyone. So we are different people, but with the same unifying Soulfulness. When a living being dies, you can clearly see just how much Soul matters (little pun :) ) because the absense of life is marked. Soul must go somewhere. --> Lifeforce of the Universe. Pure Light. Antimatter. Somewhere we cannot fully consciously understand, grasp, nor measure yet.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
no,
because i'm not delusional

Noun 1. delusiondelusion - (psychology) an erroneous belief that is held in the face of evidence to the contrary

R

Riva

Our material bodies, and the complexity of our DNA make us individuals, but something has to make us Alive. Living beings have to draw Life from somewhere. That is Soul. It comes from the Universe (or antimatter), and infuses matter with Life. It, unlike human bodies, is the same. The same for everyone. So we are different people, but with the same unifying Soulfulness. When a living being dies, you can clearly see just how much Soul matters (little pun :) ) because the absense of life is marked. Soul must go somewhere. --> Lifeforce of the Universe. Pure Light. Antimatter. Somewhere we cannot fully consciously measure nor grasp yet.

:huh:

Living beings have to draw life from somewhere. and that is the Soul.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Living beings have to draw life from somewhere. and that is the Soul.

chairs have to draw chairness from somewhere and that's the platonic realm of forms ?
Talk about endless self substained bs

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Our material bodies, and the complexity of our DNA make us individuals, but something has to make us Alive. Living beings have to draw Life from somewhere. That is Soul. It comes from the Universe (or antimatter), and infuses matter with Life. It, unlike human bodies, is the same. The same for everyone. So we are different people, but with the same unifying Soulfulness. When a living being dies, you can clearly see just how much Soul matters (little pun :) ) because the absense of life is marked. Soul must go somewhere. --> Lifeforce of the Universe. Pure Light. Antimatter. Somewhere we cannot fully consciously understand, grasp, nor measure yet.

Why should we work any differently than machines? A computer isn't off because it lacks a soul. It's off because whatever electrical input is needed to make it work, is lacking. We are exactly the same. The brain works via electrical impulses.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:huh:

Living beings have to draw life form somewhere. and that is the Soul.

f*** you, little man.

I have insights, I go with them. First comes stretching, and far-reaching unprovable thoughts, then comes proof. Sometimes much, much later.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why should we work any differently than machines? A computer isn't off because it lacks a soul. It's off because whatever electrical input is needed to make it work, is lacking. We are exactly the same. The brain works via electrical impulses.

Because a computer is not a living being.