• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you think you have a soul? If you do, why?

Do you think you have a soul? and why?

• Yes I do belive that people have souls thanks to religious reasons.

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • I feel that I have one, therefore I do.

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • I think a soul is something which is just made up.

Votes: 28 46.7%

• Total voters
R

Riva

Do you really believe you have a soul.

It's in religion and in books but do we really possess one? Is it just religious crap?

Or do you simply believe in a soul because no matter how much you change as life goes on, you know there is something in you that never change? blah blah...

? ? ?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
No.

(See: Your signature :D)

In all seriousness though, I don't believe there is a spiritual blob of spiritual blobbiness that is separate from my consciousness and body.

EDIT: Ahahaha. Too late! I didn't ignore it.

R

Riva

No.

(See: Your signature :D)

In all seriousness though, I don't believe there is a spiritual blob of spiritual blobbiness that is separate from my consciousness and body.

EDIT: Ahahaha. Too late! I didn't ignore it.

you soul less creature. how dare you deny your soul. :newwink:

anyway you do make sense. it seems more like we hold on to our perceptions (till we die) and we end up thinking it is our soul.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I believe in the soul. Because that which is not part of matter must be part of something else. e.g. mind, emotions and senses

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
you soul less creature. how dare you deny your soul. :newwink:

anyway you do make sense. it seems more like we hold on to our perceptions (till we die) and we end up thinking it is our soul.

:) Yes, something like that. There is something to us that is consistent throughout our lives, but I see it as mental/psychological/biological, rather than spiritual (and I suppose where the distinct difference appears is in my opinion of the afterlife, that is, I don't think this consciousness persists beyond death).

R

Riva

:) Yes, something like that. There is something to us that is consistent throughout our lives, but I see it as mental/psychological/biological, rather than spiritual (and I suppose where the distinct difference appears is in my opinion of the afterlife, that is, I don't think this consciousness persists beyond death).

wow, interesting. why do you think it is Biological?

we don't usually compare biology to psychology.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ yes like you said those are just mind, emotions and senses. not a permanent thing (soul).
My point would be where would these come from? It is obviously a spiritual thing.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
or rather something triggered by our sensations.

that makes more sense and is proven.

nothing spiritual there.
And where do our sensations come from?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
wow, interesting. why do you think it is Biological?

we don't usually compare biology to psychology.

Oh goodness. I'm of the belief that they're near inseparable. I'm no expert on either though, so perhaps someone else would be better able to explain such things. Anyway, functions of thought are functions of the brain, which communicates with itself and the body through hormones, chemicals, nerves, and all of that good stuff. Changes to the body can have a profound impact on the mind, and vice versa. (So what I mean is that on a surface level, consciousness isn't biological per se, but that's where it has it's roots imo)

R

Riva

And where do our sensations come from?

our five senses trigger our nerves - sends signals all around to our body and our brain (central nervous system and i can't remember the other one). this triggers emotions and that triggers thoughts.

Nothing spiritual.

just plain biology for you.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
our five senses trigger our nerves - sends signals all around to our body and our brain (central nervous system and i can't remember the other one). this triggers emotions and that triggers thoughts.

Nothing spiritual.

just plain biology for you.
So why is it that something that is not made of matter triggers our nerves (something that is made of matter)? What's the connection between the two?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
its the other way around i said.
Alright then So why is it that something that is made of matter (nerves) triggers something that isn't made of matter? What's the connection between the two?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Alright then So why is it that something that is made of matter (nerves) triggers something that isn't made of matter? What's the connection between the two?

You are, I believe, assuming that thoughts are not made of matter, no? Thoughts are the result of neurons firing, making associations, and biological responses (such as seeing a huge snake, thinking "Holy Shit!" and feeling your body produce adrenalin). All of the above is done with the chemicals that make up your body, not magic juju.

No?

R

Riva

five senses trigger emotions
emotions trigger thought
thought trigger other thought
and it goes on

what trigger emotions i guess are hormones / chemicals
(god damm i should have studied at school a bit more):newwink: