User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think you have a soul? and why?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I do belive that people have souls thanks to religious reasons.

    10 15.15%
  • I feel that I have one, therefore I do.

    25 37.88%
  • I think a soul is something which is just made up.

    31 46.97%
First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 146

  1. #81
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    The concept is infinite a synonym for undenfiable. Science is wholly based on the defineable and finite world, therefore it could never disprove something infinite. Denying this concept denies the infinite. The feminine, yin...call it what you may. It also has no meaning. How can you live in world with no meaning ...or something to live for...besides laughing sardonically at everything and feeling incredibly smug and superior because of your complex reasoning facutlities?Or perhaps feeling apathetic , emotionless, and robotic? Personally, it got old pretty quickly. (I am not implying you are this way... I was speaking of a general "you")

    As a matter of fact I am apathetic , emotionless, and robotic and I have been "accused" that I don't have a soul.
    Tell me what you want but I don't really feel much as I am going through life that way. Also my sense of empathy is quite bad/undeveloped.
    Plus the fact that I have never prayed in my life.


    However I can survive without such a beliefs exactly because I am skeptical about idea that there is such a thing as meaning. And even if meaning exists I don't understand how soul has something to do with it.

  2. #82
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I will start off by saying it is futile to attempt to define soul because it is an ineffable concept and therefore undefinable. I am sure we all get a general "feeling" about the concept we are talking about which is enough for now...




    Exactly. The subjective cannot be dismissed. This is the problem of science. As long as these debates go on people are missing the point. We will NEVER understand the intangible. And the intangible will always exist. If it did not, we would not have the tangible. Just like we would not have science and reason without spiritualism and imagination. Reason has its uses and its limitations. If you subscribe solely to reason, and proudly claim your atheism, you are no better than the religious fundamentalists. You accept one side wholly and I daresay irrationally. What!?! an irrational atheist??! Sure, your reasons for being an athiest are quite rational....but you are rejecting the subjective completely (now that's irrational!), refusing to accept it has any validity. In doing so you cannot derive meaning from nothing and as Peguy said that is like saying "I am dead." And effectively you are...that is, if you are a true adherent to this. However, if you get out of bed every morning, and trust yourself to drive to work not thinking about the possibility that, or reality that, the floor might not be there when you get out of bed, or the odds of your death on the drive to work, you are placing faith in something (Those who do not are mad, they have faith in nothing,thus, no faith in life. Their reasoning is infinitely rational, but leaves no meaning). If you are alive you must have some microcosm of faith in something. If you have faith solely in reason, you will have nothing. An intelligent theory is not anything outside of itself. It has no meaning. G.K. Chesterton said:


    A few more thoughts from G.K. Chesterton who understood this well. ( I am going to quote Chesterton extensively because he puts into words, beautifully, the exact thoughts I have had on this subject because of my own revelations)





    About materialism … leading to nihilism.



    About belief in self leading to solipsism


    And now the really important part!



    Which brings us to the point of this post…to defended the ineffable, infinite concept of the soul… or some sense of the immortal being (call it what you will but an infinite concept cannot be describe well enough in finite terms).

    So this brings us to the Latin phrase : Credo ut intelligam… meaning “I believe so that I may understand.”

    Again, this final quote from Chesterton sums this up well:



    In order to live properly, you must accept this duality in life. It will never go away. In terms of Myers Briggs, T must develop its F and F must develop its T.

    If you cannot understand mysticism, and the spiritual nature of man, you are doing something wrong. You are sorely missing something massively important and inexplicablly magnificent. Just because you cannot see it in front of you, or feel consumingly, it does not mean it is not there (However, sometimes it is there...you know, those unexplainble occurances like visions, true seers, NDEs...etc. Things that are universally accounted for and still unexplained.). It exists in everyone who lives. Faith, that is. Spiritualism will never be explained by science, but spiritualism does not try to explain science. They complement each other. You will never believe in soul if you do not allow yourself the possibility of its existence. To develop spiritually you need to be open to it and embrace it fully. It starts off subtle and the first step is awareness. No scientific data will convince you it exists, or make you feel this. It exists in the realm of the infinite. Science is and always will be finite. This is why I believe in the soul. Everything else becomes lucid when you place faith in the infinite. I have gone down the path of extreme solipsism and it does lead to madness. However, I realized things exist outside of me as much as things exist only inside of me. This is ok. It must be this way. Without both light and dark, we would see nothing.
    excellent points you make, science is somewhat coming around though, particularly quantum mechanics, they are realizing that the subjective does matter, and that the conscious observer can change the outcome of an experiment merely by observing and directing his consciousness towards it. I came to the realization that logic and thinking does have it's limits a while ago, it's very true what you say. Logic is not and cannot perfectly define reality, reality is a weird mix of the objective and subjective, logic is just looking at that reality in a one sided way. If someone subscribes to the view that logic is superior, they are being rather narrow minded and stubborn(or irrational you would say).

    I have nothing against people who believe in the soul and I can relate to their belief in many ways, it's really weird because some people look at me like I'm a religious freak and others will look at me like I'm an atheistic freak(but that perception comes from their own standpoint), there is no belonging to labels anymore, I'm just human, I try to be open to everything that humanity has to offer. And I just meant that I don't "know" and cannot really prove the souls existence, it's mostly just a matter of your subjective opinion as you say I guess, and my opinion is that there are many clues which lead me to believe that it is very possible that the soul does exist, or at least something of the sort, like spirit.

  3. #83
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    I believe in a undefinable, immaterial soul along the lines that some here have descibed (consciousness etc)

    What I don't believe in is an immortal soul. This brings in a whole other element - either the divine or supernatural - which doesn't gel with my instincts. Whatever it is, it dies with you.

  4. #84
    Senior Member Sacrator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I believe in a undefinable, immaterial soul along the lines that some here have descibed (consciousness etc)

    What I don't believe in is an immortal soul. This brings in a whole other element - either the divine or supernatural - which doesn't gel with my instincts. Whatever it is, it dies with you.
    yeah i agree. Its so evident all you have to do is look at a person with a bad case of Alzheimers to see that the soul/consciousness can be destroyed. Once the braincells are starved of oxygen and blood all that was left of you will disappear but all in a dream of your creation brought on by natural drugs released in the brain. The thought of this really troubles some people deeply it did the same for me when i was like 5 and my mother laid it out to me. bleh that was a sad night to find out i would die someday but after awhile you just learn to make the most out of life and never take it for granted.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.derekrhode.com/MiscHosting/Pics/151645.png[/SIGPIC]

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTx
    Posts
    224

    Default

    well, yeah i guess. this one shaman guy retrieved it but then i guess he forgot where he put it. so if i have one, he'd be the one to ask.

  6. #86
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    Do you really believe you have a soul.
    I tell you what... you define it, and I'll tell you if I have one.

  7. #87
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I tell you what... you define it, and I'll tell you if I have one.
    That's the best part about God--if you define it vaguely enough, nobody can pin it down enough to shoot down your delusions!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  8. #88
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    That's the best part about God--if you define it vaguely enough, nobody can pin it down enough to shoot down your delusions!
    I didn't mention God... I was talking about defining "soul."

  9. #89
    a scream in a vortex nanook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    i am not sure, in how far the soul should be labeled as "mine" and/or in how far it has any hard boundaries against "other souls". the soul should not be understood as an object, but as a realm. it's contents and it's richness is a different topic altogether. another word for the realm is "the subtle". and anyone who can dream can access the subtle realm, but the subtle is more than what we usually call dream. now many questions remain open.....

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    I don't have one.

Similar Threads

  1. Do you think he actually got dumber? If so, what caused it?
    By StonedPhilosopher in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2017, 02:39 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 11-25-2013, 11:39 AM
  3. [ENTP] ENTPs, how often do you cry, [if ever] and why?
    By Spry in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 11:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO