• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is negativity critical, cool, and courageous?

coberst

Is negativity critical, cool, and courageous?

‘To be negative’ is not the same as ‘to be critical’.

The dictionary has many definitions for the word “critical”, but I would choose the critical (decisive) meaning, as regarding learning, to be—exercising or involving careful judgment or judicious evaluation.

A negative persona is an attitude of non-acceptance.

I think that part of the problem is that too many of us have only an accept button and a reject button.

Accept or reject are not the only options one has. The most important and generally overlooked, especially by the young, is the option to ‘hold’.

It appears to me that many young people consider that ‘to be negative is to be cool’. This leads them into responding that “X is false” when responding to any statement that “X is true”.

When a person takes a public position affirming or denying the truth of Y they are often locking themselves into a difficult position. If their original position was based on opinion rather than judgment their ego will not easily allow them to change position once they have studied and analyzed Y.

The moral of this story is that holding a default position of ‘reject or accept’, when we are ignorant, is not smart because our ego will fight any attempt to modify the opinion with a later judgment. Silence, or questions directed at comprehending the matter under consideration, is the smart decision for everyone’s default position.

By hold I mean ‘not making any decision until due diligence has been executed’.

Our options are reject, accept, and hold. I claim that ‘hold’ is the most important and should be the most often used because everyone is ignorant of almost everything.

Do you accept, reject, or hold judgment regarding my claim?

Sacrator

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well i think negativity is only good when its needed. If you overuse it people wont want to be close to you because they feel that you don't appreciate the value of there judgment. A person who negatively analyzes what people say usually have unhealthy relationships and it can even sometimes ruin a families relationship. Its usually better to ignore the bad decisions people make and compliment the good decisions they make. Studies show that that approach will usually make the behavior that you negatively comment go away and the good behavior improve. So for example if your son gets a B and you say you should of gotten a A they're most likely to get worse grades next time. But if you say good job on getting the B they're most likely to get the A on the next report card.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
By hold I mean ‘not making any decision until due diligence has been executed’.

Our options are reject, accept, and hold. I claim that ‘hold’ is the most important and should be the most often used because everyone is ignorant of almost everything.

Do you accept, reject, or hold judgment regarding my claim?

This is typically my way of going about things. I naturally trust and assume the best about people and their ideas, so making definitively negative judgments is a delayed process for me. Before I do, I ask questions in order to dig deeper and uncover motives, or to further feel out the situation.

Delaying judgment can be risky though.