• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do animals feel emotions?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes is does have so much potential, don't worry about going hippy, I like hippies and I'm partly one myself, or just very open minded. Auras I believe are real, I just don't have experience in seeing them(well you can see it on that astronaut though), except for Kirlian photography. That would make sense though that babies are pure and blue and adults can carry negative energies and stress causing their aura to change, some say they see black on really negative people.

Ah cool, I will be more open....

It works both ways, I am not a partcuarly animal person never owned a pet etc. But when I go on holiday if there is a sick dogs in my local they love me, without intorductions, these dogs follow me around sit by my feet and are generally OK with me while being totally foul to other tourists. Healthy dogs have no interest in me what so ever.

Ok back to auras... there is a thought that in order to heal physical issues, a person can suround themselves in different light, SAD sufferers find it helpful to have artifical sun light lamps, so it works on the same principal... perasumably white light and violet light is one of the best ones to use (although I'm pretty sure a lot of this is unproven).

The colors of your cloths have an impact on your ether too.

When people talk about auras, they are typically seeing the ether (FYI - I wonder if halos are seen as white light), but ethers can rip as well which causes the persons natrual energy to hemorage into the wider environment, this is different than the deficiency... the person would be in bad shape.

Very interesting...

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Ah cool, I will be more open....

It works both ways, I am not a partcuarly animal person never owned a pet etc. But when I go on holiday if there is a sick dogs in my local they love me, without intorductions, these dogs follow me around sit by my feet and are generally OK with me while being totally foul to other tourists. Healthy dogs have no interest in me what so ever.

Ok back to auras... there is a thought that in order to heal physical issues, a person can suround themselves in different light, SAD sufferers find it helpful to have artifical sun light lamps, so it works on the same principal... perasumably white light and violet light is one of the best ones to use (although I'm pretty sure a lot of this is unproven).

The colors of your cloths have an impact on your ether too.

When people talk about auras, they are typically seeing the ether (FYI - I wonder if halos are seen as white light), but ethers can rip as well which causes the persons natrual energy to hemorage into the wider environment, this is different than the deficiency... the person would be in bad shape.

Very interesting...

wow that's pretty far out haha I don't think I heard of that before, but personally I go crazy if I don't see the sun or be in the sun at least a little. It also gives you vitamin D and stuff (good for protection from swine flu I hear too). So there probably is some truth to what you're saying. Also I think sun light is the best light, it's natural ya know? When growing plants and stuff it is definitely the best with full spectrum of light.

hmm I also never heard about ethers ripping either, that's pretty interesting I never considered it.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I can't say for sure if I buy the ripping thing, but it would make sence with someone who is truly emotionally out of sorts.

As for lights, I think different shades of light do different things... The Uk is dank over winter - many people go for the cosy dimmmed lights for 10 hours of the day when they get home then wonder why they are depressed come January...

I think it may also link to why we atract specific types of people in packs to us... you go through phases where specific types of people come into your life (possibly because of the energy they or you omit), there are usually 4 or 5 people in say 18 week period who all seem very similar, then they disperse and you have your regualr people again... so you are attracting the energy you need....

People who are emotionally unhealthy leave you feeling emotionally/spirtually drained, because they are absorbing more than they are giving.

This stuff is a bottomless pit of issues and ideas...

Qre:us

I suppose an emotion would be a non-thought processed method of reacting to stimuli, which can be directly noted through body language, changes in physical statistics such as heartbeat, blood pressure, and dialation of eyes and such.

A physical reaction primarily, externally, but may heavily influence thought process from that point while in effect; someone who is sad due to someone dying is less likely to enjoy a joke about death.

I'd state there's certain physiological details which can be used to be certain; the concept of FEAR, for one, is strongly tied to certain physiological changes. There's also the matter of the next point, below this one.

The paper I quoted in my OP (the long ass one) addresses why the way you defined emotions is limiting and not always accurate.

That paper does a good job of addressing the conceptualizing of emotions. Give it a read if interested; out of all the ENTPs, you, like me, are used to writing long monologues, so, it shouldn't be that bad for ya. :D

The nervous system itself is NOT emotional.

Didn't say it was, that wouldn't make any sense. Even the middle brain isn't EMOTIONAL. That statement has erronous association of terms.

The nervous system itself is NOT emotional. This's in fact actually the middle brain in humans; the lower brain controls primarily automatic functions like heartrate and other 'must have to survives'. The middle brain controls semi-autonomous functions such as breathing (normally automatic but can be controlled), emotions (possible to control with practice but not guaranteed), walking (can skip, dance, walk, or change pace, but walk for a mile straight talking to someone and yeu'll be doing so automatically and not even notice it), and similar concepts; the upper brain is primarily controlling of fully controlled things, such as some rare motor control issues, but primarily, the capacity to actively suppress instinct, think rationally, and process new information in a logical manner.

Basically, as long as the middle brain exists, it should theoretically be possible to perform a CAT scan and see if those sections of the brain are actually being used during a supposedly emotional reaction.

That'd probably be fairly conclusive proof of emotions in some animals.

The nervous system INCLUDES the brain, hence all parts in it.

Central Nervous System (CNS) + Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) = Nervous System.

CNS includes the brain. Brain includes midbrain. And so forth.

Nervous system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Do animals feel emotions?" - the ones on your dinner plate do.

*snicker* :dont: *snicker* BAD!

Anway, cool quote: “The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?” And yes, they can.

Ah! Thank you, that's the quote that I summed up earlier in the thread, do you know where/who it's from?

What is emotion?

Ability to have suffering.

All it takes is simple observation, like your example. It doesn't take a whole essay to see that they do have emotions. If people don't have the ability to recognize this, I think there is something seriously wrong with them themselves.
This is an attempt to rationalize and over analyze something utterly simple.

Ah yes, the troll has landed thinking he's Save-A-Captain-Obvious....

....must memo all the scientists, theorists, sociologists, zoologists, anthropologists, researchers, and philosophers that they've been debating (STILL) all this time for NO REASON! :doh: [it's more about how we're analyzing emotion and attributing them...READ the point of the thread, not just the title, lazy!]

You, sir, need a lesson in critical thinking. I can't be of help as I don't have infinity on my side.

That definition is flawed, not yours but the one that says emotion - ability to suffer. emotion is ability to be happy or sad simple.
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Your definition is short-sighted and thus, in my opinion, WRONG.

What is happy? What is sad? How is that evaluated in an animal like a worm? When it curls itself like a ) or (, former happy, latter, sad?

Genius! [<-- since you don't get it, that's sarcasm]

Tinkerbell, I shall respond to you, in depth, later today, short on time. Sky is blue, when I get home from work, I'll see the vid. Thanks!

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I don't see why they wouldn't. What is an emotion besides a chemical event that is designed to stimulate a response? Emotions, as a function of the human body and mind, evolved from somewhere, so I don't think it's that bizarre to think that emotions are present, however in a less complex and deep form, in other organisms. The increase in emotional range, understanding, and processes I would think mirrors that of the increased cognitive ability of our minds as well.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When a scared dog goes and hides you know that the emotion of fear within them is concious.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, I think most animals feel emotions. (I would have a hard time arguing that an ant or termite has the ability to feel sad/happy, but then, we don't know much at all about ants or termites...we usually just want them destroyed. :D) But I don't think they, generally, understand or feel the same complexity of emotions has humans.

And I agree with Amargith about elephants probably having the emotional capabilities closest to humans. I've seen documentaries of elephants mourning their dead and revisting known gravesites of fallen herd members in much the same way we humans revist the graves of our dead family members.

But a less exotic example would be the way dogs have a way of picking up on our emotional states and reflecting them back to us, which could suggest some level of empathic abilities (and an important ability for creatures to live in packs and social groups). If I am angry, my dog becomes angry and is on the alert for anything that could be going on to endanger us. Unfortunately, she doesn't understand that humans can become angry because of stuff that happened hours or days ago. This also works the other way around: If there's a thunderstorm and my dog is frightened, she will become calm if she is in the room with me and I am calm.

Oh, and those rats supposedly laughing are adorable. :)

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'd say some do, some don't. It depends on how developed the brain is. I'd say that mammals can, at least.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Taken from Alan Fletcher's book - the art of looking sideways - a fabulously ENTP montage of the most interesting/random thinking

Not sure about the evidence source he used for this....

Ants are so like human beings that they:
* Get embarressed
* They fram fungi
* Raise aphids as live stock
* Have armys that go to war
* Use chemical warfare to confuse the enemy
* Capture slaves
* Use child labour
* Exchange information endlessly

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Oh yes, and birds certainly can too. Reptiles perhaps, and Amphibians maybe.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Ah yes, the troll has landed thinking he's Save-A-Captain-Obvious....

....must memo all the scientists, theorists, sociologists, zoologists, anthropologists, researchers, and philosophers that they've been debating (STILL) all this time for NO REASON! :doh: [it's more about how we're analyzing emotion and attributing them...READ the point of the thread, not just the title, lazy!]

You, sir, need a lesson in critical thinking. I can't be of help as I don't have infinity on my side.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Your definition is short-sighted and thus, in my opinion, WRONG.

What is happy? What is sad? How is that evaluated in an animal like a worm? When it curls itself like a ) or (, former happy, latter, sad?

Genius! [<-- since you don't get it, that's sarcasm]

Tinkerbell, I shall respond to you, in depth, later today, short on time. Sky is blue, when I get home from work, I'll see the vid. Thanks!

still feel the sting from gettin schooled huh? ouch...haha....

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Yes, I think most animals feel emotions. (I would have a hard time arguing that an ant or termite has the ability to feel sad/happy, but then, we don't know much at all about ants or termites...we usually just want them destroyed. :D) But I don't think they, generally, understand or feel the same complexity of emotions has humans.

And I agree with Amargith about elephants probably having the emotional capabilities closest to humans. I've seen documentaries of elephants mourning their dead and revisting known gravesites of fallen herd members in much the same way we humans revist the graves of our dead family members.

But a less exotic example would be the way dogs have a way of picking up on our emotional states and reflecting them back to us, which could suggest some level of empathic abilities (and an important ability for creatures to live in packs and social groups). If I am angry, my dog becomes angry and is on the alert for anything that could be going on to endanger us. Unfortunately, she doesn't understand that humans can become angry because of stuff that happened hours or days ago. This also works the other way around: If there's a thunderstorm and my dog is frightened, she will become calm if she is in the room with me and I am calm.

Oh, and those rats supposedly laughing are adorable. :)

you know that same thought ran through my head. But ants can sense danger(negative feeling), they run around a scurry faster when you get near them and start moving things. I think tinkerbell mentioned something about them getting embarrassed. My guess would be they can be happy/positive about finding a good mountain of sugar. Wilhem Riech said orgone permeates all space and every living thing, so I'm going to just take that at face value until proven otherwise.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
you know that same thought ran through my head. But ants can sense danger(negative feeling), they run around a scurry faster when you get near them and start moving things. I think tinkerbell mentioned something about them getting embarrassed. My guess would be they can be happy/positive about finding a good mountain of sugar. Wilhem Riech said orgone permeates all space and every living thing, so I'm going to just take that at face value until proven otherwise.

Yes, that's a very good point you make. Tinkerbell made excellent points as well.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
My family and I own a dozen kittens (apparently). It's also our first to keep pets, so we've been watchful at the way they behave - and they behave very much normally with their distinguished potentials as you see with people.

... So, I would think animals have emotion as much as human.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Animals"

Well, most certainly most animals do. Mammals, fish, they all have emotions of fear, survival, hunger, etc, etc.

Even some plantlife has emotions, such as touch. Particularly trapping anemone's and carnivorous plants.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Your definition is short-sighted and thus, in my opinion, WRONG.

Okay I guess you are right, I probably should of broke it down even further.

The simplest def would probably be emotion - ability to feel positive, or negative. love, or the opposite of love.
Happy and sad was kind of branched off from their roots. So there, you were right, I was kind of wrong, and partly right because happy/sad still applies. Are you happy now? I really hope so. I think you are holding a grudge against me, and honestly it wasn't anything personal before, was just calling it as I see it, but you seemed to take it very personally and I'm sorry if you got butthurt about it.