User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

I'd say some do, some don't. It depends on how developed the brain is. I'd say that mammals can, at least.
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Taken from Alan Fletcher's book - the art of looking sideways - a fabulously ENTP montage of the most interesting/random thinking

Not sure about the evidence source he used for this....

Ants are so like human beings that they:
    * Get embarressed
    * They fram fungi
    * Raise aphids as live stock
    * Have armys that go to war
    * Use chemical warfare to confuse the enemy
    * Capture slaves
    * Use child labour
    * Exchange information endlessly

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Oh yes, and birds certainly can too. Reptiles perhaps, and Amphibians maybe.
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Ah yes, the troll has landed thinking he's Save-A-Captain-Obvious....

....must memo all the scientists, theorists, sociologists, zoologists, anthropologists, researchers, and philosophers that they've been debating (STILL) all this time for NO REASON! [it's more about how we're analyzing emotion and attributing them...READ the point of the thread, not just the title, lazy!]

You, sir, need a lesson in critical thinking. I can't be of help as I don't have infinity on my side.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Your definition is short-sighted and thus, in my opinion, WRONG.

What is happy? What is sad? How is that evaluated in an animal like a worm? When it curls itself like a ) or (, former happy, latter, sad?

Genius! [<-- since you don't get it, that's sarcasm]

Tinkerbell, I shall respond to you, in depth, later today, short on time. Sky is blue, when I get home from work, I'll see the vid. Thanks!
    still feel the sting from gettin schooled huh? ouch...haha....

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Yes, I think most animals feel emotions. (I would have a hard time arguing that an ant or termite has the ability to feel sad/happy, but then, we don't know much at all about ants or termites...we usually just want them destroyed. ) But I don't think they, generally, understand or feel the same complexity of emotions has humans.

And I agree with Amargith about elephants probably having the emotional capabilities closest to humans. I've seen documentaries of elephants mourning their dead and revisting known gravesites of fallen herd members in much the same way we humans revist the graves of our dead family members.

But a less exotic example would be the way dogs have a way of picking up on our emotional states and reflecting them back to us, which could suggest some level of empathic abilities (and an important ability for creatures to live in packs and social groups). If I am angry, my dog becomes angry and is on the alert for anything that could be going on to endanger us. Unfortunately, she doesn't understand that humans can become angry because of stuff that happened hours or days ago. This also works the other way around: If there's a thunderstorm and my dog is frightened, she will become calm if she is in the room with me and I am calm.

Oh, and those rats supposedly laughing are adorable.
    you know that same thought ran through my head. But ants can sense danger(negative feeling), they run around a scurry faster when you get near them and start moving things. I think tinkerbell mentioned something about them getting embarrassed. My guess would be they can be happy/positive about finding a good mountain of sugar. Wilhem Riech said orgone permeates all space and every living thing, so I'm going to just take that at face value until proven otherwise.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    you know that same thought ran through my head. But ants can sense danger(negative feeling), they run around a scurry faster when you get near them and start moving things. I think tinkerbell mentioned something about them getting embarrassed. My guess would be they can be happy/positive about finding a good mountain of sugar. Wilhem Riech said orgone permeates all space and every living thing, so I'm going to just take that at face value until proven otherwise.
    Yes, that's a very good point you make. Tinkerbell made excellent points as well.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

My family and I own a dozen kittens (apparently). It's also our first to keep pets, so we've been watchful at the way they behave - and they behave very much normally with their distinguished potentials as you see with people.

... So, I would think animals have emotion as much as human.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

"Animals"

Well, most certainly most animals do. Mammals, fish, they all have emotions of fear, survival, hunger, etc, etc.

Even some plantlife has emotions, such as touch. Particularly trapping anemone's and carnivorous plants.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Enneagram
    4w5

Ah! Thank you, that's the quote that I summed up earlier in the thread, do you know where/who it's from?
    Yes, I think it's by Jeremy Bentham (like in your article)

quotes-Jeremy Bentham | Animal Rights History

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Your definition is short-sighted and thus, in my opinion, WRONG.

What is happy? What is sad? How is that evaluated in an animal like a worm? When it curls itself like a ) or (, former happy, latter, sad?
    Okay I guess you are right, I probably should of broke it down even further.

The simplest def would probably be emotion - ability to feel positive, or negative. love, or the opposite of love.
    Happy and sad was kind of branched off from their roots. So there, you were right, I was kind of wrong, and partly right because happy/sad still applies. Are you happy now? I really hope so. I think you are holding a grudge against me, and honestly it wasn't anything personal before, was just calling it as I see it, but you seemed to take it very personally and I'm sorry if you got butthurt about it.