• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Debunking those atheists, the smart way!

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Now I loves me a nice, tender, juicy baby as much as the next heathenous curr, but I need to point out a major flaw in this argument.

It's only looking at things from the assumption that the person WAS a believer before... and they changed their mind after to BECOME an atheist.

This doesn't happen to frequently in general, most atheists and agnostics, although they may've been 'raised' a certain religion, honestly most of them just never took it to heart. It's exceptionally rare that someone with strong faith gives up on it, most question it for awhile, but few ever truly give up totally on it.

That being said, it's once again a heavily biased view as well, with far too much self idolization. Seriously, anyone who doesn't agree with yeu is a baby eater? >.>; Yeah that's a great way to view the world. A more ACCURATE portraital would be that everyone who DOES agree with yeu... is a nazi.

Adolf Hitler said:
"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God’s truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow my self to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice… And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows . For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people."

Adolf Hitler Mein Kampf said:
"Christianity could not content itself with building up its own altar; it was absolutely forced to undertake the destruction of the heathen altars. Only from this fanatical intolerance could its apodictic faith take form; this intolerance is, in fact, its absolute presupposition."

Now then, I don't really have much relevance for posting these quotes, other than to directly oppose the "zomg we are perfect idealists of god and anyone who is not us is evil!". Once yeu get into that line of reasoning, things get messy, as we've seen in the crusades, in wars, in nazis, in nationalism, etc. When yeu view anyone who doesn't agree with yeu as evil, yeu *ARE* evil. Do a study on serial killers sometime, virtually all of them think they were trying to do something 'good'.

In any case, the baby eater argument is just silly.

However, the core of the issue is that if yeu do something *YEU* view as immoral, repeatedly, the first time, maybe the first few times, will be really hard to do, difficult, and painful. Yeu'll feel a great deal of guilt. After yeu've done it for awhile, yeu just don't really care anymore. It's one of the more common forms of desensitization. Yeu feel like crap that yeu did something yeu swore yeu'd never do at first, after a few more times yeu still feel guilty but at least yeu can justify yeur actions, after awhile it doesn't bother yeu that much but it irks yeu when yeu think of it, and eventually yeu wonder how yeu ever lived thinking of things in such a silly, quaint, naive way.

This argument isn't about eating babies, nor is it even about atheists at all, despite that they're trying to claim it is. It has *NOTHING* to do with atheism. It is solely focusing on the concept of having a moral view or opinion on something, and then going against yeur own original morals. If yeu had an atheist who converted to christianity, this EXACT SAME LINE OF REASONING would still apply. If yeu had someone who stole cookies from the fridge, someone who cheated on their spouse, someone who didn't stick to their diet, someone who was used to using violence to solve their problems and became a pacifist... they all feel the same thing.

It's just how people gradually accept change. This has nothing to do with an atheist, other than it was used as an example at one point. The saddest part is, I highly doubt the original writer even realizes whot it is they're arguing.

An atheist may still be moral and say murder and rape are wrong: but when asked why, they will not have a final reason or authority to which they can appeal.

Hardly the case; the reverse is in fact more true. The 'laws' in the bible and other holy texts are fluid, and change. Yeu may notice that we don't STONE PEOPLE TO DEATH anymore. Yeu may notice that women are allowed to divorce these days. Yeu may even notice that slavery is not even legal anymore.

There is no 'final reason' or 'absolute authority' that the religious ever had to validate these things... their reasoning was NEVER anything more than a product of the culture within which such originated. If anything, the religious views of right and wrong have even less to do with absolutes than those of an atheist, because they're based on emotion and context, not objective data and logical reasoning.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/philosophy-spirituality/21166-rule-singular.html

Here's the rule I live by. It's stronger than the 10 commandments, and based on common sense, objective data, and careful reasoning. It doesn't require falling back on any god, any law, or any culture to support it. It's the single, most pure, and true, definition of right and wrong, of absolute morality without subjective reasoning.

The rules of religions are made by humans, they may claim to be 'inspired by god', but if god is absolute and objective, and smarter than us, and not prone to pitiful human emotional outbursts... then these laws cannot possibly be the work of god.

Voltaire said:
God thinks all blacks are obsolete farm eqipment
God thinks the Jews killed his son and must be punished
God thinks the white man is Satan
God, they know what God thinks

God thinks we should all convert to Judaism
God thinks we must all be Christians and
God thinks we should all embrace Islam
God thinks the only true religion is Hinduism

And I
I know what God thinks
God thinks you're a waste of flesh
God prefers an Atheist

God thinks all people like you are evil
God thinks all people like you are an embarassment to creation
self-righteous, judgemental, first to throw the stone
and use His name for your own protection

God thinks the sun revolves around the Earth
God thinks there was something very wrong with Copernicus
God thinks abortion is murder and
God thinks everything that science gave us is wrong
God thinks women deserve it
God thinks AIDS is a form of punishment

I hate people who blame the Devil for their own shortcomings and
I hate people who thank God when things go right

And I
I know what God thinks
God thinks you're an idiot
God prefers a heretic

God God
God thinks all people like you are evil
God thinks all people like you are an embarassment to creation
and use His name for your own agenda

God is a liberal
God is a democrat
God wants you to vote republican
never trust a man who puts his words in the mouth of god
and says that it's absolute truth
its lies and it smells like death
its all in a day's work taking money from the poor
Why do you think that God would need your dirty money
if he wanted to start a holy war?

and use His name for your own protection

God thinks puppies need to die and
God thinks babies need to drown
'cause God is neither good nor bad
God is you and me
God is Everything

The 'opinions of God' are not created BY God at all. They are created by yeu and me, when we say "god thinks", we don't truly mean GOD, we mean "I think" and yeu are using god's name to back it up, without knowing for certain.

May I point out, the rule "Do not use God's name in vain". This applies here as well, not just when cursing.

That being said, I honestly believe that if there is a God, he's going to be *AT LEAST* as smart as I am, be *AT LEAST* as capable of understanding logical reasoning, and *AT LEAST* as loving as I am (probably alot more on all counts, infinite and all that... that and I'm not really that loving XD ).

Therefore, by definition, if I can figure it out, God already has. If I can poke holes in religious argument, then God never held those views to begin with, if he did, he's even more flawed than I am, and therefore, why should I worship someone who is beneath me?

Obviously, the only options we really have, are that either God isn't worth worshipping, or he is. Assumming of course existance, but that's another argument entirely so I'm going to skip over that here. Primarily, the issue is that if I am to *EVER* have even the slightest interest in bowing before God, it's not going to be as to a master, nor to a ruler, a king, or anything else. It will be a bow of respect to a teacher and source of knowledge and wisdom. I would seek to learn from this 'higher intelligence', but I would never truly consider myself worthless, a sinner, or anything else in comparison. I would just consider myself not yet perfected, and devote more effort into attaining that status, one which has pre-supposedly already been met by God.

The bible, quaran, torah, etc, all depict this 'god' (note no capitals here; it's a term not the name in this case) as being emotionally insecure, cruel, arrogant, selfish, rude, bigoted, stupid, foolish, warlike, violent, sexually deviant, etc.

Why, then, would anyone actually want to be a deitist if this is all they have to look up to for their peers? If this were a human, they would be a flawed, weak, insensitive, sorry excuse for a man, who would never go anywheres in the world, except perhaps as a tin pot dictator, and not even a particularly good one at that. Why do people desire to cling to this human expression of God? Obviously they're just anthropomorphizing him, trying to apply human attributes to something which's supposedly far beyond human, and the only reason they do this is for cultural reasons, to support their own positions and desires. To excuse their wars, their hate, their flaws.

If God is, by definition, flawless, then the laws of god would be incomprehensible to humans, and they most assuredly would not match up even remotely with our own cultural beliefs and cultural morals. One can only assume that all religions are false, to gross extent.

This is a large reason of why I consider myself a 'practicing agnostic', despite that it's an oxymoron. I am religious, but I refuse to accept this pathetic excuse of a man as being "perfect and pure", and abuse the name of God in such a manner.

I figure there's a high probability that there's either some mechanical order to things, or a designing intelligence of sorts, it's hard to prove fully, but the evidence does lean towards suggesting such. That being said, however, I can't accept man's flawed belief of the nature of god(s).

I can't be part of an organized religion, where morality is dictated not by absolute values of truth, but by committee.

As such, no, the original post is flat out wrong. They will not have a final reason or authority to which they can appeal, for they don't even understand the definition of reason, and do not even know the most basic facts about the authority which governs them.

Stop dealing in hatred, stop relying on blind faith, stop the pretensious holier-than-thou attitude that yeu KNOW whot god thinks, and FFS use yeur brain. Yeu were given one for a reason, I suggest yeu pull yeurself up from acting like an animal, mindlessly dragging yeurself along with the rest of the herd, each one thinking the other is the leader, when in reality, noone is in charge at all.

Break from the crowd, and be willing to learn, and moreso than that, to UNDERSTAND whot it is yeu believe. When yeu can do that, then yeu'll be a step closer to the true God, whotever the face of such may be.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Who honestly gives a fucking rats ass? sorry didn't read but seriously?! and same thing goes for atheist trying to convince christians their beliefs are wrongs. Just quit you all look like douches when you try to argue/convince people whether or not god exists.

redacted

Who honestly gives a fucking rats ass? sorry didn't read but seriously?! and same thing goes for atheist trying to convince christians their beliefs are wrongs. Just quit you all look like douches when you try to argue/convince people whether or not god exists.

Well, you clearly care because you're posting in this thread.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
no it means that i'm tired of seeing threads like this every time i past this forum.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
"An atheist may still be moral and say murder and rape are wrong: but when asked why, they will not have a final reason or authority to which they can appeal."

The authority is law, and social pressures. Without these, which enforce consequences, I really wouldn't be surprised if I saw more atheists eating their babies, murdering people, and raping their women.

Take a look back in situations like the vietnam war, which is given the OK by your authority (LAW) to murder people and rape women...

Happyman

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
"An atheist may still be moral and say murder and rape are wrong: but when asked why, they will not have a final reason or authority to which they can appeal."

The authority is law, and social pressures. Without these, which enforce consequences, I really wouldn't be surprised if I saw more atheists eating their babies, murdering people, and raping their women.

Take a look back in situations like the vietnam war, which is given the OK by your authority (LAW) to murder people and rape women...

There's still something called EMPATHY, you know? Besides the internal moral compass doesn't need a fear of hell to work properly. Read some Kant, Frankl, Kierkegaard, Fromm, Arendt.. I don't know - all the great humanists. Take Romans and Greeks for instance. Their religions had nothing to do with morality. The whole morality was based on a concept of a good man, morality as a way of growth (Greece) or morality based on common good, a way to make the state prosper (Rome). The whole morality was drawn from rational mind.

Finally, I think when you write things like the one I've bolded, you assume all people are evil on the inside. I don't think it's true. Also don't make religion smaller than it is. Religion is not only about strict moral rules. It's about union with God, mystic experience, discovering the meaning of life. It's love for our brothers that makes us moral (read the New Testimony, please).

I'm sorry to say this, but the argument that without religion people would not act properly was very popular among French nobles in XVII and XVIII century - they were saying that nobles can act properly because of their highly developed rationality, but the 'dark masses' need the fear of hell to behave. I hoped I won't have to see this argument brought up ever again.

Edit: Oh, damn. I missed Fiver's argument. He already mentioned the Romans. Let's say I've elaborated on that! :)

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
There's still something called EMPATHY, you know? Besides the internal moral compass doesn't need a fear of hell to work properly. Read some Kant, Frankl, Kierkegaard, Fromm, Arendt.. I don't know - all the great humanists. Take Romans and Greeks for instance. Their religions had nothing to do with morality. The whole morality was based on a concept of a good man, morality as a way of growth (Greece) or morality based on common good, a way to make the state prosper (Rome). The whole morality was drawn from rational mind.

Finally, I think when you write things like the one I've bolded, you assume all people are evil on the inside. I don't think it's true. Also don't make religion smaller than it is. Religion is not only about strict moral rules. It's about union with God, mystic experience, discovering the meaning of life. It's love for our brothers that makes us moral (read the New Testimony, please).

I'm sorry to say this, but the argument that without religion people would not act properly was very popular among French nobles in XVII and XVIII century - they were saying that nobles can act properly because of their highly developed rationality, but the 'dark masses' need the fear of hell to behave. I hoped I won't have to see this argument brought up ever again.

Edit: Oh, damn. I missed Fiver's argument. He already mentioned the Romans. Let's say I've elaborated on that! :)

Hmm, I'm wondering how you took what I said. What "side" do you think I'm on? I'm also left wondering what "side" YOU are on, I'm guessing pro atheism.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ

Finally, I think when you write things like the one I've bolded, you assume all people are evil on the inside. I don't think it's true.
+1 Totally agree, especially the bolded.:yes:
Losing my religion allowed me to trust the good in people again.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?

I'd just like to point out a few things.

The authority is God's law, and religious social pressures. Without these, which enforce consequences, such as excommunication and hell, I really wouldn't be surprised if I saw more christians and other religious people eating their babies, murdering people, and raping their women.

Take a look back in the bible, which is given the OK by your authority (GOD) to murder people and rape women.

Deuteronomy 20:10-14 said:
As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you.

Exodus 21:7-11 New Living Testament said:
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.

Leviticus 20:13 said:
If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.

2 Chronicles 15:12-13 said:
They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.

Judges 11:29-40 NLT said:
"At that time the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he went throughout the land of Gilead and Manasseh, including Mizpah in Gilead, and led an army against the Ammonites. And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD. He said, "If you give me victory over the Ammonites, I will give to the LORD the first thing coming out of my house to greet me when I return in triumph. I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

"So Jephthah led his army against the Ammonites, and the LORD gave him victory. He thoroughly defeated the Ammonites from Aroer to an area near Minnith – twenty towns – and as far away as Abel-keramim. Thus Israel subdued the Ammonites. When Jephthah returned home to Mizpah, his daughter – his only child – ran out to meet him, playing on a tambourine and dancing for joy. When he saw her, he tore his clothes in anguish. "My daughter!" he cried out. "My heart is breaking! What a tragedy that you came out to greet me. For I have made a vow to the LORD and cannot take it back." And she said, "Father, you have made a promise to the LORD. You must do to me what you have promised, for the LORD has given you a great victory over your enemies, the Ammonites. But first let me go up and roam in the hills and weep with my friends for two months, because I will die a virgin." "You may go," Jephthah said. And he let her go away for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never have children. When she returned home, her father kept his vow, and she died a virgin. So it has become a custom in Israel for young Israelite women to go away for four days each year to lament the fate of Jephthah's daughter."

Et Cetera, Et Cetera, Et Cetera, Ad Nausium.

The laws of god are no better than the laws of man. And humans, regardless of religion, are capable of horrible acts, except that if yeu have a religion, yeu can claim yeu were told to do so by 'god'.

I hate quoting myself, but I feel the need to stress this point.

Katsuni said:
The 'laws' in the bible and other holy texts are fluid, and change. Yeu may notice that we don't STONE PEOPLE TO DEATH anymore. Yeu may notice that women are allowed to divorce these days. Yeu may even notice that slavery is not even legal anymore.

There is no 'final reason' or 'absolute authority' that the religious ever had to validate these things... their reasoning was NEVER anything more than a product of the culture within which such originated. If anything, the religious views of right and wrong have even less to do with absolutes than those of an atheist, because they're based on emotion and context, not objective data and logical reasoning.

Those who are religious, are still human. Nothing more, nothing less. They have the capacity for great good, and great evil. They will do BOTH in the name of whotever law they hold, whotever nation they were born to, whotever god they worship. These things do not matter; people will do horrific stuff.

Hitler did onto the jews *BECAUSE* he was christian, some of the worst rapes/murders have been because of 'god's plan', there are people picketing marriages based on their religious beliefs, arson, murder, rape, etc.

These will happen anyway, regardless of religion, my point isn't to say religion's evil or anything, it's to point out that humans are just inherantly capable of these things anyways. If yeu tell them to listen to the word of god, they'll say it was god's word that told them to do it. There is no 'moral high ground', and there is no 'we are more pure because we have religion'. Everyone falls prey to the same things, regardless.

The second that yeur law lets yeu commit horrible acts, there will be the few who will take it to heart. Most won't, but there'll always be some who will. It doesn't matter if it's man's law, or god's law though. The second yeu say it's alright, they still do the same thing. Having 'faith', does not change this. As much as we'd like to think it does.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I'd just like to point out a few things.

The authority is God's law, and religious social pressures. Without these, which enforce consequences, such as excommunication and hell, I really wouldn't be surprised if I saw more christians and other religious people eating their babies, murdering people, and raping their women.

Take a look back in the bible, which is given the OK by your authority (GOD) to murder people and rape women.
But no offence, the bible doesn't give an OK to murder and rape, 10 commandments.

That is exactly my point! I don't take the side of religion! NEITHER do I take the side of atheism! I believe we have to transcend these dualities to gain access to our true inner divinity!

I agree and disagree with everything you say! I can see both sides of the story!

In other words I'm anti authoritarian, anything that will suppress the individual from making his own informed decisions are not systems to uphold!
Atheism might make you think you are somewhat more "FREE" than religious folk, but in actuality you are still answering to something other than yourself (law).

But then some people might just look at what I say call me an anarchist. Maybe I somewhat am.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
But no offence, the bible doesn't give an OK to murder and rape, 10 commandments.

That is exactly my point! I don't take the side of religion! NEITHER do I take the side of atheism! I believe we have to transcend these dualities to gain access to our true inner divinity!

I agree and disagree with everything you say! I can see both sides of the story!

In other words I'm anti authoritarian, anything that will suppress the individual from making his own informed decisions are not systems to uphold!
Atheism might make you think you are somewhat more "FREE" than religious folk, but in actuality you are still answering to something other than yourself (law).

But then some people might just look at what I say call me an anarchist. Maybe I somewhat am.

Alright I wasn't 100% sure if yeu meant it that way or not XD

It was a great leadon to lemme rant though so thanks anyways =3

That being said though, I do agree. Personal values should be made and understood, not just latching onto society's without even knowing why.

As for anarchy, not really. Anarchy isn't "no law", but it is "very little group control over yeur life". Yeu may in fact actually be classified as proper anarchist possibly, not sure. hard to tell from this limited clip of conversation.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I would be.

Sometimes I wish people would take a step back and look at the garbage they say about other people just based on their religion, race, gender, and otherwise, and realize how ignorant and demeaning they sound.

Whether or not I'm a fan of Vietnam, I think war is different than acts committed on personal discretion... and while atrocities happened during the war, it was actually the decency of some members of the armed forces who brought My Lai and other horrible acts to the attention of people in a position to discipline the offenders. In this case, some people in authority tried to cover things up; others tried to make up for the wrongdoing.

In other words I'm anti authoritarian, anything that will suppress the individual from making his own informed decisions are not systems to uphold! Atheism might make you think you are somewhat more "FREE" than religious folk, but in actuality you are still answering to something other than yourself (law).

I think a lot of us here are the same way, actually, and you are missing that.

I think also when someone starts dissing one side, people naturally feel compelled to defend their own position because they are feeling criticized. It's usually not a great communicative strategy. If someone told me that because I'm atheist I'd be more prone to cooking and eating my own children, at best I would withdraw from them and at worst I would want to hurt them, badly... not because I like hurting people, but that is just one of the most horrible things I think someone could say to someone else they don't even know personally. Christians took bad raps by being called cannibals by the Romans (due to the communion ritual), and other groups have taken bad raps for centuries because of twisted and cruel moral reasoning such as what appeared in the opening post. It's just pretty twisted stuff.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This reminds me of Judge Dredd.

A person who was so stuck on the ruleset, that when things went AWOL (convicted innocently), he was seriously mentally torn, and had to find truth through his own reasoning. Aligning himself once more with Lady Justice, but this time with a firm grasp of knowing why law is good.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
This reminds me of Judge Dredd.

A person who was so stuck on the ruleset, that when things went AWOL (convicted innocently), he was seriously mentally torn, and had to find truth through his own reasoning. Aligning himself once more with Lady Justice, but this time with a firm grasp of knowing why law is good.

Don't remember watching that movie, but the way you summed it up sounds like a good reference to the message I was trying to convey.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't remember watching that movie, but the way you summed it up sounds like a good reference to the message I was trying to convey.

It's an awesome action movie! Must see! :D

"I AM THE LAW!"

Kangol

MBTI Type
INTP
I was so ready to finally be convinced that there's a God.

Thanks for the total misnomer, using "smart" like that. Scalliwag.

Mole

Permabanned
Between the Book and the Voice Falls Atheism

The truth is now we all live in the same bubble. And if you press on one side of the bubble, someone is sure to press on the other side. It's like a meteor hitting the earth - there is the initial crater but on exactly the other side of the Earth, at the antipode, there is an almost equal blast.

So if you want to make an effect on the other side of the bubble or the other side of the Earth, a good strategy is to take exactly the opposite view of the one you wish to promote. Then the literal minded will come back with the opposing view in the other side of the bubble.

So in this way distance has been abolished. We all vibrate to the same sounds in our bubble. And we can set up vibrations on the other side of the bubble simply by vibrating in this side.

And we can elaborate our vibrations into conversations.

Unfortunately most of us only know how to read an author or be professionally entertained by a celebrity. We have yet learnt to converse.

Fortunately this medium is not made for passive entertainment or for solitary reading. Like the telephone it demands participation. In this medium, like it or not, we are all participants.

And all we need to do is to let go our passive, literate habits and participate in the noosphere.

Unfortunately the God we worship today is the God of the Book, whereas the God of tomorrow is the God of the spoken word. Today we read God. Tomorrow we will hear God.

Fortunately our deep past is full of the Voice of God, just as our deep future will thrill to the sound of the Voice.

So atheism today is merely the hiatus between the Book and the Voice.

LEGERdeMAIN

Since you can't personify a diverse body of writings by diverse individuals and groups, the Bible doesn't give an OK to rape and murder....however, murder in the name of god saturates the old and new testaments.

The "10 commandments" outlaw murder and other deviant behavior, but this is just a couple of pages in thousands.

Having multiple perspectives is a great way to decipher any mysterious person, place, thing or idea. Good job.

As an Agnostic atheist/Ignostic/Apathetic agnostic/Model Agnostic, I don't believe. IN ANYTHING. except when I want to, of course. I also don't think, feel or sense in any way that there is any law which is above me, except the law which can physically contain and control me(police, judge, prison).

And, although I tend to obey most laws, I don't feel compelled to follow the law or play "law-abiding-citizen" games when I think they are wrong or when they don't suit me. Like, for a soft example, when I catch up to a group of cars and there's a cop driving at 45 in a 55, with fifteen people following in a line behind him, scared to go the speed limit, I get in the passing lane and do my usual 60-65mph, past the sheep, past the cop and go on.

I've noticed that cops do that a lot, I'm guessing it gives them a sense of power or maybe they want to see how many idiots will drive ten miles below the speed limit and for how long.