User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Point of order: the baby eaters are the believers or the atheists?

I can see an atheist feeling very Nouveau Baby Eater and worrying a lot about the propriety of what he was doing if he were trying to believe in God for the first time.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Disclaimer: I'm using as much of the extremes and black and whiteness as the OP's post. My arguementation is not to prove wether Atheists or Religious people are right or wrong. I am merely trying to point out the importance of eating babies, and the difference between deciding by yourself or through communities.

So you're saying that people need religion in order to be good.

If that is so, what value does good have? If we are all just following orders instead of realizing and understanding moral values and abide by them through our own understanding?

Suppose, hypothetically, that our lives are a test wether you're going to heaven or hell. Do you think God would like it if someone lives a perfectly good life because he/she was told to, but has no understanding of it other than "Well, it said so in the bible?"?

Or would he prefer an AtheÔst who learned and understood moral values by his/herself in order to learn a good life. For themselves, and not for their neighbours?

In other words. Religious people are most prone to eating children if reading about it is good. AtheÔsts make up their own damn mind.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I friggin hate this bullshit assertion - "If you don't believe in God then you have nothing to base your morals on".

So personal ethos are insufficient to make a decent human being? One must believe in God, specifically fear God and God's damnation in order to be a decent human being, and not a berserk baby eater?

What would modern Christianity be without a fear of hell anyway? I'm guessing churches' tithing income wouldn't be nearly as high.
    There's rare mention of hell in the Bible. That's the church (i.e. only some of them) that talks about it. The existence of the devil in literal terms is negotiable in all but the most literal churches.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Wow. They lost me at "eating children."

I'm sure they'd be offended if someone else started like they did here, then launched into an example of attending a more literalist church, and the crazy things it leads you to believe, and is this what a person feels like when they wander away from God?

There was no argument here, just an expressed opinion couched in some sort of attempt a "logical example" that had some mega-breakdowns in logic. The examples have no real connection to each other, they just pretend to.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    There's rare mention of hell in the Bible. That's the church (i.e. only some of them) that talks about it. The existence of the devil in literal terms is negotiable in all but the most literal churches.
    Yeah. There is a wide spectrum of belief within the bounds of Christianity, with more and more factions that have broken off because they believe they have the "right" view of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Suppose, hypothetically, that our lives are a test wether you're going to heaven or hell. Do you think God would like it if someone lives a perfectly good life because he/she was told to, but has no understanding of it other than "Well, it said so in the bible?"?

Or would he prefer an AtheÔst who learned and understood moral values by his/herself in order to learn a good life. For themselves, and not for their neighbours?
    I personally would think that God is more concerned with who people become, not necessarily what rules they follow most correctly. There is some overlap there, but internally they are very different.

Just like as a parent, it's nice if my kid doesn't break the law when he leaves home -- it makes me look good and keeps my life intact and her out of trouble -- but what I really want is a living, breathing, thoughtful, provocative human being who is making moral decisions based on her own cognizance. I.e., an autonomous human being who loves me and others directly out of choice, rather than because something or someone else has told her to and is forcing her to. That sort of "follow the rules because they are right" behavior is something my kids do at an early age, it's part of human development, but then they grow into autonomous behavior and driven from inside.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

‚ÄúPleasure to me is wonder‚ÄĒthe unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.‚ÄĚ ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Notions of good come from societal mores. Ancient Romans had the cultural idea of The Good Roman. This was based on service to the state, not the Roman gods. In our society, our mores are impacted by dominant a dominant religion. Just because it is true in our society, it does not follow that good comes from a divine being.

I contend the atheist's morality is even stronger than a god-based morality. An atheist must take responsibility for the evil in himself, all his decisions and all the results. There is none of this for an atheist:

-I am loved by God even though I am a sinner.
    -God made me a sinner.
    -I am forgiven my sins.
    -I will be rewarded by union with God for repenting or in some cases living by a religion's tenets.
    -God is helping me get through this.
    -Everything happens for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Fiver is correct, it is freeing to not have to impress someone, to be accepted for who you really are.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Point of order: the baby eaters are the believers or the atheists?

I can see an atheist feeling very Nouveau Baby Eater and worrying a lot about the propriety of what he was doing if he were trying to believe in God for the first time.
    The site that article comes from is anti-atheist, so it must be atheists who are the baby-eaters.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post

Is this what an atheist goes through when they start not to believe in God
    No. Not me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Fiver is correct, it is freeing to not have to impress someone, to be accepted for who you really are.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
    No. Not me.
    Yeah, not me either. I never believed in any religion to begin with. I was skeptical as a child.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Factotum View Post
    The site that article comes from is anti-atheist, so it must be atheists who are the baby-eaters.
    Before or after they believe in God?

Now, see, I know the article is trying to say that stopping believing in God is like trying to eat babies, but how come it's always the God people who're coming up with these kinds of analogies? What puts baby-eating in the mind of a religious writer?

Frankly, I think someone better take a close look at what's really going on inside those temples.

MBTI
    FREE

Man, I really wanted to reply to this thread with all the reasons why the quoted text is not logically sound, but then I realized no one here actually believes this... so what's the point?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]