User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 33

  1. #21
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I disagree. It makes me highly uncomfortable to think that the father might desperately want the child, but yet is expected to be alright with the mother choosing to abort because it's her body. (Not that any laws should change, just the cultural mores.)

    IMO, if it was consensual sex and the guy wants the baby badly (say, to the point that he's willing to sign away everything he's worth that if she carries his child he'll be 100% accountable for it), the cultural expectation should be for the woman to carry the baby so the guy can raise it. Yes, it very well might damage the woman's career or plans and likely negatively impact her, but if her sex participation was voluntary, she should deal with the repercussions of her choices and not literally destroy the guy's baby if he wants it. It's not like he can carry his kid.

    That said, I'm still pro-choice with legal matters.

    Actually, I've talked to more than one woman who claimed the father of the child "made her get an abortion." This does happen, you know. There are husbands and lovers who have bullied their pregnant SO all the way to the abortion clinic.

  2. #22
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Actually, I've talked to more than one woman who claimed the father of the child "made her get an abortion." This does happen, you know. There are husbands and lovers who have bullied their pregnant SO all the way to the abortion clinic.
    I don't see how this relates to what I typed.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  3. #23
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post
    I don't think this helps people. I think having an exhibit that's walled off probably does...because at least then you don't have rape victims who made that decision walking through the Quad and suddenly falling to the ground seizing because the whole thing brings back truma.
    I think shock tactics not only violate people in general, but they are counter-productive. There's a guy here in Hburg who has a large sign in front of his home along a well-traveled road, and he puts this stuff out there regularly -- if it's not equating Obama to the Anti-Christ ("Choose God or choose Obama!"), he's posting these large 3x3' pictures of aborted fetuses and talking about the downfall of America.

    Honestly, I feel like even in this conservative area, all it buys him is shunning and an image of being a nutcase. It shows a lack of nuance and sensitivity, and turns people away from his position at best. You want to win people, well, they need to believe that you respect and actually care about them, and this is not a good way to show that.

    Couple that with the idea that some abortions aren't about "Xtreme Birth Control" but resulting from some highly painful and agonizing dilemma in the parents' lives that had no good answer to begin with, or some situation for the girl that isn't resolved and probably is worsened by her choose to not have an abortion, and you have a person who is just trying to manipulate people emotionally into "following the right rules" without actually helping them resolve their difficulties.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #24
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I don't see how this relates to what I typed.
    Because your entire post revolved around the idea that women would selfishly get abortions when the father wanted the child, and that if the father agreed to be 100% responsible for the child that the woman should be expected to carry it to full term. I'm not going to even get into that argument with you, but I did want to add that it's not just women getting abortions because they're afraid it will ruin their career. There are women who are psychologically or even physically abused by the father if they refuse to get an abortion because he doesn't want the kid to interfere with his life.

    Both sides must be acknowledged.

  5. #25
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Because your entire post revolved around the idea that women would selfishly get abortions when the father wanted the child, and that if the father agreed to be 100% responsible for the child that the woman should be expected to carry it to full term. I'm not going to even get into that argument with you, but I did want to add that it's not just women getting abortions because they're afraid it will ruin their career. There are women who are psychologically or even physically abused by the father if they refuse to get an abortion because he doesn't want the kid to interfere with his life.

    Both sides must be acknowledged.
    I think you're making assumptions about what I typed. I said I'm pro-choice, and I'm pro-choice (as a very religious Christian) for a very good reason.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  6. #26
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I think you're making assumptions about what I typed. I said I'm pro-choice, and I'm pro-choice (as a very religious Christian) for a very good reason.
    I didn't mean to make any assumptions about what you as an individual personally believe. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I was simply going upon the words which were there in that particular post.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Feops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INTx
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Intentionally inflicting shock value on people is emotionally distressing. I feel it should be optional.

    What interested me more was the debate between knowing and a sanitized version of knowing. I've never seen a cow or chicken slaughtered and butchered before. I don't even like to deal with bones or blood in what I buy. I eat a fair bit of meat. Should I be required to face the graphic reality of my lifestyle choice?

    Though I feel that may be dishonest in a way. I would find the butchering repulsive because I have no exposure to it, not because it would be a better decision for me to give up meat.

  8. #28
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Because your entire post revolved around the idea that women would selfishly get abortions when the father wanted the child, and that if the father agreed to be 100% responsible for the child that the woman should be expected to carry it to full term. I'm not going to even get into that argument with you, but I did want to add that it's not just women getting abortions because they're afraid it will ruin their career. There are women who are psychologically or even physically abused by the father if they refuse to get an abortion because he doesn't want the kid to interfere with his life.

    Both sides must be acknowledged.
    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I didn't mean to make any assumptions about what you as an individual personally believe. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I was simply going upon the words which were there in that particular post.
    I just didn't see how my post implicitly judged the other side--if anything, it reinforces it, IMO. If someone is willing to love and raise a baby that resulted from consensual sex, be it father or mother, the cultural expectation should be that the baby should have a chance at life. (I think women's pro-choice laws should remain fixed and they should keep a keen eye out for any sign of a woman being pressured to have an abortion, I just think that the concept of the baby existing in the mom's belly is a poor argument for it being "completely up to her." Because we're not just talking about her body, we're talking about a living human (legally it's a human just not a person, right?).)

    There are selfish and terrible humans of every gender that impose horrific psychological and physical abuse upon other humans, ITA, all I'm saying is that it's not the baby's fault the parents got pregnant, so if someone is willing to love and raise a baby that resulted from consensual sex, the cultural norm should impose pressure to make choices that engender love and life.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  9. #29
    Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Meh, I wouldn't care; people watch Saw movies, so I don't really see the difference. But I do think that it was wrong to have those pictures openly displayed; people should be able to decide whether or not they want to see such graphic images. Especially since children are sometimes on community college campuses...

    But then again, I do not consider a fetus a "human" until after a few weeks. Abortion is horrible, blah blah. Coulda been the president, whatever.

    Anyway, after lurking around on the interwebs for years and stumbling on 4chan... If I see things like Porche girl, I just blink and think nothing of it. The things that I saw... can never be unseen D:
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

    Read my Blog.

  10. #30
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    ^^Tub girl was way more disturbing to me than the aborted fetuses!

    But back on topic, yeah, we have the fetus poster people on our campus almost every week.

    As to the issue of the images being too graphic, it's complicated because television, for instance, has laws that prevent them from broadcasting certain images at certain times of the day for the very reason that they don't want people (children especially) exposed to graphic content. If we're going to be consistent about it, the aborted fetus posters should be subject to the same type of regulation.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Similar Threads

  1. Abortion, gay rights, and other social issues.
    By Angry Ayrab in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 11:54 PM
  2. Proposed (Bush Admin.) Rule equates Contraception to Abortion
    By spirilis in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-22-2008, 10:22 AM
  3. abortion
    By Evan in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 05:57 PM
  4. Allowing concealed carry handguns on college campuses
    By swordpath in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 04-22-2008, 09:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO