User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 54

  1. #41
    Senior Member Saslou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    4,915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    black holes have been proven in the same way that anti-matter has been proven.
    I am possibly talking shit here ..but are black holes just a theory, if i am correct .. No one has ever seen one .. The physicists can't come up with a theory to explain gravity within a black hole (is that something to do with quantum machanics), they just keep on coming up with that, to the side 8 figure (infinity) .. So they are currently at a stumbling block.

    Ahhh, what do i know .. Please continue
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

  2. #42
    Temporal Mechanic. Lexicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,759

    Default

    I think the simplest solution for the OP is this.. embrace uncertainty. I can't really offer a step-by-step guide on how to do so.. everyone's pathway is slightly different, but I suppose that should go unsaid.

    Sometimes an endless quest for the 'truth'- or answers- is the answer in of itself. It at least allows room for growth, and really, that [for me], is a driving force in my life. Growth. I may not always know the definitive why's and how's. Or if ultimate, objective truth even exists at all. But if I'm questioning, and searching, then odds are high that I'm moving forward. I've learned to apply what I do 'know'- and what I do not know- to my own set of subjective values, and continually make alterations the more I learn, and don't find making these adjustments distressing. I've let go of certain expectations. Intrinsic meaning is subjective for me, and subject to change in some ways from time to time. It's like continually getting a new set of contact lenses to accomodate my evolving vision. Sometimes the transition is uncomfortable, blurred.. but even then, ultimately, I still feel closer to pure clarity with every shift [though I still don't know what perfect vision actually looks like]. The already vast horizon line stretches further back with each new turn of my scope; sometimes it's spread out so far ahead of me that it's beyond sight, but I know it's still out there.. Instead of feeling like I'm wandering around lost at that point, I welcome the new free space, and start running faster. It's all connected, so every direction in this new space is forward in some way.

    This viewpoint has sort of helped me live in the present moment moreso than I had before. I'm actually able to focus on setting down the foundations for all those castles I've already built up in that infinite upper atmosphere. It's freed my mind from a lot of worry.

    I'm rambling now; I hope to some degree this makes sense to you.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!



    04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

    02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

    03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I am possibly talking shit here ..but are black holes just a theory, if i am correct .. No one has ever seen one .. The physicists can't come up with a theory to explain gravity within a black hole (is that something to do with quantum machanics), they just keep on coming up with that, to the side 8 figure (infinity) .. So they are currently at a stumbling block.

    Ahhh, what do i know .. Please continue
    No.

  4. #44
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I think the simplest solution for the OP is this.. embrace uncertainty. I can't really offer a step-by-step guide on how to do so.. everyone's pathway is slightly different, but I suppose that should go unsaid.

    Sometimes an endless quest for the 'truth'- or answers- is the answer in of itself. It at least allows room for growth, and really, that [for me], is a driving force in my life. Growth. I may not always know the definitive why's and how's. Or if ultimate, objective truth even exists at all. But if I'm questioning, and searching, then odds are high that I'm moving forward. I've learned to apply what I do 'know'- and what I do not know- to my own set of subjective values, and continually make alterations the more I learn, and don't find making these adjustments distressing. I've let go of certain expectations. Intrinsic meaning is subjective for me, and subject to change in some ways from time to time. It's like continually getting a new set of contact lenses to accomodate my evolving vision. Sometimes the transition is uncomfortable, blurred.. but even then, ultimately, I still feel closer to pure clarity with every shift [though I still don't know what perfect vision actually looks like]. The already vast horizon line stretches further back with each new turn of my scope; sometimes it's spread out so far ahead of me that it's beyond sight, but I know it's still out there.. Instead of feeling like I'm wandering around lost at that point, I welcome the new free space, and start running faster. It's all connected, so every direction in this new space is forward in some way.

    This viewpoint has sort of helped me live in the present moment moreso than I had before. I'm actually able to focus on setting down the foundations for all those castles I've already built up in that infinite upper atmosphere. It's freed my mind from a lot of worry.

    I'm rambling now; I hope to some degree this makes sense to you.
    It's a long path to get there. It will seem clueless to most.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    444

    Default

    ahhh, why is this thread back? I don't need a silly reminder of my painfully solipsistic post-modernist freak out not-so-yesteryear days of yesteryear.


    Lexicon: your response does make sense to me. But I found that way of thinking painful after a while... it was not enough.

  6. #46
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antireconciler View Post
    Please explain yourself, or did you think what you said was persuasive just because you stated it?
    you cant prove that you dont live in matrix and when you cant prove that, you cant prove enything for 100% sure.. everything you "prove" is just an assumption on things that you assume to be right
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  7. #47
    Senior Member INTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    7,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    However using the genome, I can prove that natural selection is the origin of the species.
    how do you prove that you werent lied to or how do you prove that there isnt some factor involved that havent just been noticed? you need to prove negative to prove positive and since you cant prove negative, you cant prove positive neither for 100% sure, you can only assume. not saying that you cant assume right, but thats not proving it for 100% sure if you assume things, and you can only assume. closest assumptions of truth is about what is not. when "proving" something that is, you just assume something that seems true to be true because you cant even prove what you see or hear really exists.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

    Read

  8. #48
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I am possibly talking shit here ..but are black holes just a theory, if i am correct .. No one has ever seen one .. The physicists can't come up with a theory to explain gravity within a black hole (is that something to do with quantum machanics), they just keep on coming up with that, to the side 8 figure (infinity) .. So they are currently at a stumbling block.

    Ahhh, what do i know .. Please continue
    My point was: black holes have not been empirically verified. Anti-matter has not been observed. They are both theoretical. Most would agree that black holes and antimatter are possible or probable.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    My point was: black holes have not been empirically verified. Anti-matter has not been observed. They are both theoretical. Most would agree that black holes and antimatter are possible or probable.
    F.Y.I. The word empirical denotes information gained by means of observation, experience, or experiment.

    On both counts you are wrong. Buying a dictionary would have saved two posts from wasting bandwidth.

  10. #50
    Senior Member LEGERdeMAIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    F.Y.I. The word empirical denotes information gained by means of observation, experience, or experiment.

    On both counts you are wrong. Buying a dictionary would have saved two posts from wasting bandwidth.

    Black holes have not been observed, as I stated in my past two posts. By reading an up-to-date Physics Journal you could have saved two bandwidth wasting posts.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”


Similar Threads

  1. [NF] Question for NFs.
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 01:24 AM
  2. Question to my fellow INTP emmigres
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO