First 1234 Last

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Good questions! If the point of questioning is to arrive at answers, then to question at all implies that there are answers. Even if "everything is subject to doubt" there are still the structures in place which allow for doubting at all. That means doubting can't be entirely negative, but requires other things to be in place in order to be what it is. It can be overwhelming, but hopefully you can also take a step back from the doubting process and see that it is an ordinary movement of the mind which does not throw away that which is doubted, but rather retains it in a different way which no longer takes it for granted, and gives it a kind of life or space to follow its own movements. Doubt is an implicit function of the mind, so there is surely nothing about it to be troubled by in itself.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

How to survive when you question everything... personally I'd turn that around and ask if you are really alive if you don't!

Although it is possible to have a darned good definition of an apple in your head it remains impossible to have an actual apple in your head (well avoiding certain nasty procedures and ignoring the eating process of course). Therefore what is stored away in your head is an approximation. If you cannot be absolutely sure that it is true then the only calculable method to go forward is to include the uncertainty within your thinking. Personally I gave up on certainty and truth a while ago. I tend more towards estimated probability. If something is probable then at a certain point you may as well treat it as true unless the parameters which make it probable are significantly altered.

Oh yeah and ignoring all the BS about "what does life mean", which I'm about 90% sure is a question for when you're stoned only, is a definite must if you want to firstly not lose your mind to the soup from which this question arrives and secondly ever hope to make any kind of coherent sense.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Quote Originally Posted by laughingebony View Post
    It's hard to make something of life if you question every single thing you do, trying to find some profound meaning in eating breakfast before eating in the morning.
    Mmm breakfast.
    Those crunchy letters are signs from the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

I actually believe that it's the lack of knowledge that gives life meaning. I think If we actually KNEW something, we would no longer be curious about it, and it would become meaningless. It's the very fact that it's an argument, that it's not known for certain, that gives it meaning.

I think that questioning is what life is all about, thus in the very process of questioning and exploring/modifying our sense of knowledge, we ARE living life to the fullest. In other words, the meaning is in the questions, not the answers.

That's my take, anyway.
    Nice answer. The search process for truth is important. How would you incorporate it with beliefs such as enlightenment which is all about discovering truth?

Ok, so can you ever know if something is true or false?...what about objective truth? (uughh, I feel like these discussions have been rehashed literal millions of times, but I am always interested to here what other people have concluded.)
    Haha. Makes me wonder though... is mainstream philosophy slowly dying? As we slowly move towards answers from other scientific fields. Clearly the answer would be no based on what philosophy means but still it needs some new topics as it's all starting to sound the same. Anybody with new questions?

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Makes me wonder though... is mainstream philosophy slowly dying? As we slowly move towards answers from other scientific fields. Clearly the answer would be no based on what philosophy means but still it needs some new topics as it's all starting to sound the same. Anybody with new questions?
    Well, if you start with such basic questions, then it will surely seem like old territory. A lot of philosophical questions posed on a forum like this can be generalities for much more specific questions that are perhaps too personal to the writer to give in all their specificity. Even the author in a lot of cases may not even be aware that they mean something more specific, but asking general questions can perhaps probe for verification for responses that the OP (in general) already has in some implicit format in their mind. It can work as a kind of disguised sanity check. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is helpful maybe if it is known ahead of time that the author may not be expecting anything particularly original. Philosophy, in terms of the meaning it has for a person is simply inherently personal, even though it strives for objectivity.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Why can't a person live life fully while questioning things?
    Why not?
    Why does life require meaning to live fully?
    Why not?
    What does living fully even mean?
    What do you perceive living fully to mean?
    Why are these questions more special than your normal "How'd you do?" questions?
    Why not?

Why must people ask why questions? Why not?

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I cannot stop questioning philosophical issues. I have delved deeply into both sides of many of the main debates and of course come out with no new answers. Everything is subject to doubt. Can you ever really know anything? If not...is it possible to give life any meaning? How can you live life to the fullest if you cannot stop questioning? How can you not question things/Does anyone else feel this way?
    You can't ever really be certain of anything because knowledge is just inside of your head and is an interpretation of external things and events. It's best to just live in the here and now and let things interpret themselves.

Even if we can't know anything in a Cartesian sense, at least we can have a good enough understanding to risk taking action. Quantum physics allows for anything to happen - the floor could open up right under me and I could fall through to the first story. But do I worry about that? No, but if it happens I'll just figure out some way to deal with it.

To me, truth is practical, and knowledge is just a useful mechanism for dealing with life. Like my friend said once, it's all shit. You can play with it and obsess over it all day, or you can bury it in the ground and use it to make something better.

Even if you can't "prove" we exist, even if you just have to shrug your shoulders at the thought of it all being a dream - at least just enjoy the dream. Get out a bag of popcorn and enjoy the movie. You know what I mean.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Why, yes, I am offering insight from a reputable repository of philosophy: Buffy the Vampire Slayer's 6th season brilliant but Emmy-snubbed musical episode.

Life's not a song
    Life isnít bliss
    Life is just this
    Its living
    Youíll get along
    The pain that you feel
    You only can heal by living
    You have to go on living
    So one of us is living

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

I... suppose. Yeah!

Sniffles

As Socrates once put it, the wise man is one who knows he's ignorant. No many can truely claim to possess knowledge, only that they're a lover of such.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

It's a lot of fun to read up on a philosophy subject and truely feel it feels right. Then suddenly when you ask the right question, it all crashes and burns.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Why not?

Why not?

What do you perceive living fully to mean?

Why not?

Why must people ask why questions? Why not?
    I love my why questions. Unfortunately I wasn't there to give answers, only ask questions xD. Granted I see your point, it's all abit pointless giving counter examples since there is no real answer or lots of multiple answers... which really mean nothing.