User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transhumanism

wants Mifune clone minion Array Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    5w4 sx/sp

If this is being done to bugs, shouldn't we worry about hooking *ourselves* up?
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Several things; in terms of human evolution stalling, it's hardly the case, even int he last few hundred years we've seen substantial changes, for example, those of us who live in north america are primarily derived from europe... thing is the europeans we descended from were on average about 8-10 inches shorter. In other areas, such as sweden, height has vastly increased, even within the last few generations alone, children are on average a full foot taller than their grandparents these days in that locale.
    I'm inclined to believe this has a lot to do with how much diet and nutrition has improved on such a scale in the recent century. Quite frankly, we eat better and have access to any kind of nutrients we want, therefore height can simply be attributed to such. Where is the environmental pressure coming from that's making people taller? Is there environmental pressure at all in the modern world? This is why I think evolution in terms of humans is becoming trivialized.

At the same time, however, this is a double edged sword, and it does very much so swing both ways. In this case, we also have the issue that a longer lifespan, leaves more time TO learn... consider if da vinci existed today, with the total culmination of all information up to this point, whot could he do with it? The capacity to see new information and correlate it to older information is important, as is the differing perspectives... by always changing to a new generation, we also deprive ourselves of older perspectives, which may have provided a wealth of knowledge that is now overlooked due to the differing methods.

Then again, we can go back to the first once more. Without short lived generations, true progress can never occur either. Think of the quote that "it takes 20 years for a liberal's ideas to be considered conservative thinking". A generation being roughly 20 years, each new generation tends to imply new ideals, and understanding. 20 years from now gay rights will probably be an assumed concept and those who were against it will seem as quaint and foolish as those who barred black's rights, women's rights, and so on. Only by removing the previous generation from the picture, and placing a new one which had to learn through it, will we progress fully.

If we *DID* suddenly, and magically, create immortality... consider the ramifications it would have socially. We would cease our progress as a whole. Liberal thought would be flattened, and conservative views would hold too much sway... currently we're at a healthy medium; liberal thought creates new ideas, but is tempered by conservative mindset to prevent waste and limit offshoots into worthless endeavours. To heavily overbalance one side or the other is to invite disaster, as both must be maintained.

So although I don't think we're too far off from developing a form of immortality, I do however believe that we are NOT ready for it just yet. The social structuring which would be required to impliment it properly, without destroying us as a whole, is dangerous, as it's going to cause riots no matter whot yeu do. It could be the single worst thing to happen to civilization as a whole if improperly handled, and considering most people won't know how to handle it, and the ones least capable of handling it will be the ones most likely to be in charge of such... well... we'll see how things go, but I can't see it going over too well sadly.
    Definitely, the social ramifications are huge and completely varied. Can the human mind even handle immortality in the first place? What happens when death isn't feared? What happens to education when the entirety of recorded human achievement and thought is downloaded, maintained, and updated in a computer chip?

So many intriguing questions. So little time

Priestess Of Syrinx Array Katsuni's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Can the human mind even handle immortality in the first place? What happens when death isn't feared?
    I think the bigger question, is whot happens when death *IS* feared even moreso?

I had a good friend (actually a supervisor, but our lunchbreaks were often about interesting stuffs like this XD ) and he was like well whot happens when we are immortal? Then whot? If life is short, death is not a big deal, enjoy yeurself while yeu can. If life is ETERNAL... would yeu REALLY want to climb a mountain if it might kill yeu?

Alot of the most risky things done in life may end up scaring yeu into inactivity entirely >.>

Physical immortality would be far more dangerous to the mind than mechanical backups.

Senior Member Array

I love the subject of immortality.

Earthly immortality isn't important to me. It would mess up my spiritual growth. Aging in a visible, evident way has allowed me something to work with and against on my journey, something to struggle with while gaining an awareness of who I am. For example I've never been satisfied with myself at the time, in the present, but wished I was something different, yet in retrospect I loved who I was in a physical sense compared to my aging body now and find myself wondering why I wasn't able to see this about me back then. And vice versa in regards to my wisdom of experience in held in contrast to my youth and other lifestages. Growing older has increased my chances for learning to be more appreciative of who I am now just the way I am. Then I generalize this to lots of other domains i.e. events and people who have lived alongside me, us growing older together. As a result I have developed more compassion life. I would have remained an infant in all respects without aging and the eventual change that occurs with death.

Do you think there could be a logical debate held in favor of creating eternal life on earth? I doubt it. Was there a philosopher who could state that doing so is right, just or even possible?