• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI type and belief in god

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
Are NT's usually atheist?
Are NF's usually theists?
Are there any NT's who believe in god?
Are there any NF's who don't believe in god?
I have zero spirituality. Nil. Nada.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have seen a study posted here somewhere, yes.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
NTs are probably more agnostic than atheist on average. NTs are rare, but atheists are rarer.

NFs aren't so much theistic, but more 'spiritual'.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
NTs are probably more agnostic than atheist on average. NTs are rare, but atheists are rarer.

NFs aren't so much theistic, but more 'spiritual'.

Despite having a sample size of 1 (myself), I can at least confirm the NT side of that from my tiny perspective =3

I think in general though, that NT's are more likely to consider various possibilities, and accept that they may not know everything. Therefore, I don't think they'd be likely to be strict believers, nor strict non-believers either. Both athiests and deists require the belief that yeu CANNOT BE WRONG. All evidence shown supports yeur belief, and anything that doesn't is invalid.

This isn't really the NT mindset in general, so I figure NT's are more likely to shy away from absolutes such as these. They may be "practically" athiest, but unlikely ever 'fully' so. They may be 'religious', but unlikely in the conventional sense.

But then again I'm still learning about my own NT group so I may be making too many assumptions here as well, but it does seem to hold mostly true ^^

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
i'm NF and i was an atheist for a while..as a child and young teen. maybe i was more philosophically agnostic, but for me personally, there was simply no god... i saw an unjust world of suffering and power imbalances and i believed that if there was a god, it would be too benevolent to allow for the creation or perpetuation of such constructs (it wasn't that i didn't think god could be more complex than just 'good', it's just that such a god would hold little interest for me at the time). that notion paired with the harsh realities of what organized religion had done historically just kind of scared me. socially i was definitely not in favor of the fundamentalists, at least not most of the time. that didn't help sell religion to me either.

also, as a female from a catholic background, i felt quite alienated (/insulted) by patriarchy and did not want to follow anybody that reinforced it. -why couldn't i become a priest someday if i wanted to? was i somehow farther from god than the boy sitting next to me? these kinds of thoughts barred me from feeling embraced, and thus from myself embracing, the faith in tandem with the religious culture i was exposed to. i felt like it was sham to say the bible was inerrant and perfect, and it was not a church of the love and brotherhood jesus talked about in that book because it did seek to exclude, and it did seek to profit. these were the things that cut me off from spirituality for years.

despite my distate for religion at the time, i was always fascinated by ancient history, especially cultures like the egyptians who had numerous mythologies and multiple deities, elaborate death and burial rituals, afterlife beliefs, and mysticisms.. thankfully my parents indulged me and took me to museums, got me books, and let me explore what i found interesting. things didn't quite 'click' in my head about my own attitudes toward spirituality beyond what i always had known: that i had an insatiable desire to know more, and that i saw faith and religion as separate.

..it wasn't until i had many strange experiences that i began to believe in something beyond what i could quantify or prove, or observe from a detached historical standpoint. it wouldn't have been a good choice to just ignore what i didnt like or what didnt match up with the world view i had at the time, that was something i had learned the reverse-psychology way by observing some older folks i had known.

so, ultimately, i guess you could say i became persuaded by somewhat 'mystical' experiences.. to at least become agnostic and open to studying modern religion again..

religion and ritual have powerful psychological effects, but that is the extent of what they are to me, at least i think that to be true at the moment i am typing this post.

i am an agnostic theist at this point.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When it comes to monotheistic religions any personality type goes.

NTs would try and prove the existence of God
NFs would dwell in the spiritual aspects of the religion
SPs would believe it but probably not act on it
SJs would strictly follow the rules of the religion

I've interacted with so many people from the monotheistic religions and can say that I've found all types from INTJs-ESFPs.

When it comes to atheists most are NTs
NTs would try to prove that God does not exist
The rest would just stand by the NT's point of view.

i saw an unjust world of suffering and power imbalances and i believed that if there was a god, it would be too benevolent to allow for the creation or perpetuation of such constructs (it wasn't that i didn't think god could be more complex than just 'good', it's just that such a god would hold little interest for me at the time)
This is perhaps one the worst arguments I've heard to try and prove God does not exist and funny enough, it's one of the most effective.

corey_vann

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8sx
It does seem that NTs would be the least likely to believe in God. Being an NT Christian myself, I have been surprised by how many others I have met, and most of them are INTP for some reason. I've also been surprised to meet a fundamentalist atheist INFP, but further questioning proved the Dawkins and Dennett books on his table must have been strictly for show and the spines of the books seemed to show no sign of use.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I'll put together a short list of friends for you:

Me: INTP with no religious upbringing. I do not, and can not believe in God. I am also not spiritual in any way.

M: ISTP with no religious upbrining. He does not believe in God. He is not spiritual.

J: ENFJ with Christian/Catholic upbrining. She converted to reform Judaism. She believes in a "higher power" and is very spiritual.

B: ISTJ with Catholic upbrining. He believes in God and attends church every Sunday. He is also a biologist.

S: ESFJ with Christian upbrining. She believes in God but does not attend church. She is what I would describe as "one of those weirdo Christians."

P: ENFP with Christian upbrining. Married to S and believes in God (I think).

C: ISFP with Catholic upbrining. Athiest.

C#2: ESTP with Catholic upbrining. Athiest.

D: ESFJ with Catholic upbringing. Athiest.

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
This is perhaps one the worst arguments I've heard to try and prove God does not exist and funny enough, it's one of the most effective.

Wow, that's rude.

I'm an NF and I go back and forth...but frankly, if there is a God, it doesn't matter much anyways, since he neither listens nor pays attention to what we do anyways. *shrug*

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm an atheist. I assumed most NT's would be atheists or agnostic.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wow, that's rude.

I'm an NF and I go back and forth...but frankly, if there is a God, it doesn't matter much anyways, since he neither listens nor pays attention to what we do anyways. *shrug*
:violin:
I've no interest in repeating myself

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ HAHAHA!! :rofl1: it never fails to amuse

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Wow, that's rude.

The creator does listen and pays attention. The creator gave you gifts that you have to unlock with your creator givin abilities which you already posses. Take some responsibility.

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
^High horse, much? :rolli:

:violin:
I've no interest in repeating myself

I'm not talking about what's proof or not proof of his existence. I'm talking about why I don't care if there is an existence in the first place. Two different things. ;)

Jaguar, that's really fucking disgusting.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not talking about what's proof or not proof of his existence. I'm talking about why I don't care if there is an existence in the first place. Two different things. ;)
My answer would still remain the same. Only in different context.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think Intuitive types are more likely to be agnostic or simply apathetic about religion. Sensors are likely to either be strong atheists, or strong adherents to a religion that specifies the nature of God.