User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default MBTI type and belief in god

Are NT's usually atheist?
    Are NF's usually theists?
    Are there any NT's who believe in god?
    Are there any NF's who don't believe in god?
    I have zero spirituality. Nil. Nada.

MBTI
    I

What about SJs and SPs ?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    What about SJs and SPs ?
    They're not important. Just kidding
    Anybody know of a study on correlation of MBTI types to belief in god?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I have seen a study posted here somewhere, yes.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Religion and Type - An MBTI Perspective Someone's humorous ponderings.

The Relation of Jungian Psychological Type to Religious Attitudes and Practices Study on type differences and belief.

I'm an agnostic NF.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

NTs are probably more agnostic than atheist on average. NTs are rare, but atheists are rarer.

NFs aren't so much theistic, but more 'spiritual'.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    NTs are probably more agnostic than atheist on average. NTs are rare, but atheists are rarer.

NFs aren't so much theistic, but more 'spiritual'.
    Despite having a sample size of 1 (myself), I can at least confirm the NT side of that from my tiny perspective =3

I think in general though, that NT's are more likely to consider various possibilities, and accept that they may not know everything. Therefore, I don't think they'd be likely to be strict believers, nor strict non-believers either. Both athiests and deists require the belief that yeu CANNOT BE WRONG. All evidence shown supports yeur belief, and anything that doesn't is invalid.

This isn't really the NT mindset in general, so I figure NT's are more likely to shy away from absolutes such as these. They may be "practically" athiest, but unlikely ever 'fully' so. They may be 'religious', but unlikely in the conventional sense.

But then again I'm still learning about my own NT group so I may be making too many assumptions here as well, but it does seem to hold mostly true ^^

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

i'm NF and i was an atheist for a while..as a child and young teen. maybe i was more philosophically agnostic, but for me personally, there was simply no god... i saw an unjust world of suffering and power imbalances and i believed that if there was a god, it would be too benevolent to allow for the creation or perpetuation of such constructs (it wasn't that i didn't think god could be more complex than just 'good', it's just that such a god would hold little interest for me at the time). that notion paired with the harsh realities of what organized religion had done historically just kind of scared me. socially i was definitely not in favor of the fundamentalists, at least not most of the time. that didn't help sell religion to me either.

also, as a female from a catholic background, i felt quite alienated (/insulted) by patriarchy and did not want to follow anybody that reinforced it. -why couldn't i become a priest someday if i wanted to? was i somehow farther from god than the boy sitting next to me? these kinds of thoughts barred me from feeling embraced, and thus from myself embracing, the faith in tandem with the religious culture i was exposed to. i felt like it was sham to say the bible was inerrant and perfect, and it was not a church of the love and brotherhood jesus talked about in that book because it did seek to exclude, and it did seek to profit. these were the things that cut me off from spirituality for years.

despite my distate for religion at the time, i was always fascinated by ancient history, especially cultures like the egyptians who had numerous mythologies and multiple deities, elaborate death and burial rituals, afterlife beliefs, and mysticisms.. thankfully my parents indulged me and took me to museums, got me books, and let me explore what i found interesting. things didn't quite 'click' in my head about my own attitudes toward spirituality beyond what i always had known: that i had an insatiable desire to know more, and that i saw faith and religion as separate.

..it wasn't until i had many strange experiences that i began to believe in something beyond what i could quantify or prove, or observe from a detached historical standpoint. it wouldn't have been a good choice to just ignore what i didnt like or what didnt match up with the world view i had at the time, that was something i had learned the reverse-psychology way by observing some older folks i had known.

so, ultimately, i guess you could say i became persuaded by somewhat 'mystical' experiences.. to at least become agnostic and open to studying modern religion again..

religion and ritual have powerful psychological effects, but that is the extent of what they are to me, at least i think that to be true at the moment i am typing this post.

i am an agnostic theist at this point.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

When it comes to monotheistic religions any personality type goes.

NTs would try and prove the existence of God
    NFs would dwell in the spiritual aspects of the religion
    SPs would believe it but probably not act on it
    SJs would strictly follow the rules of the religion

I've interacted with so many people from the monotheistic religions and can say that I've found all types from INTJs-ESFPs.

When it comes to atheists most are NTs
    NTs would try to prove that God does not exist
    The rest would just stand by the NT's point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    i saw an unjust world of suffering and power imbalances and i believed that if there was a god, it would be too benevolent to allow for the creation or perpetuation of such constructs (it wasn't that i didn't think god could be more complex than just 'good', it's just that such a god would hold little interest for me at the time)
    This is perhaps one the worst arguments I've heard to try and prove God does not exist and funny enough, it's one of the most effective.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8sx
    Socionics
    ENTJ

It does seem that NTs would be the least likely to believe in God. Being an NT Christian myself, I have been surprised by how many others I have met, and most of them are INTP for some reason. I've also been surprised to meet a fundamentalist atheist INFP, but further questioning proved the Dawkins and Dennett books on his table must have been strictly for show and the spines of the books seemed to show no sign of use.