• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI type and belief in god

Optimouse

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, even if raised in a Christian family, I became apathetic with religion. I am not a dedicated atheist but maybe I am between agnosticism and apatheism. However, I always had an interest on the metaphysical and paranormal phenomena even though I didn't entirely believe and the more I try to analyze and gather new data about it the more I am with skeptics side. But I will still like to listen to these stories without trying necessarily to disprove them but maybe only make some observations.

The first I thought about how strong believer or atheist one is, is a connection between P/J. I feel that my P makes me more of a listener, trying to gather all the data before making a final conclusion (and that's why I am floating around, in the realm of "I don't know", I am not fast to answer these questions). I think there can be both atheists and theists in P/J, but maybe the more J types may be more fanatic or direct with their belief. Ps will be more drown back agnostics, either tending a little to theism or atheism but not absolutely.

But then I see there are a lot of different types that can be either of the two kinds, and this is interesting and I agree there is more complexity on the matter, upbringing, influences, etc besides types. But how you express your preference might be interesting to see on MBTi terms.

And these thoughts about P/J haunts me right now, it's damn interesting but I am not sure yet. I observe the P in myself and make these thoughts. There is another notion in how we decide about what is true or if one should debunk. I mean,. some people when they hear about something extraordinary they feel the need to instantly "debunk it". Or they say, if I haven't seen it, it still doesn't exist. I have a different way on this, if I hear something and it's interesting, I just collect the information. If I don't search more about it, I can't be sure. But it's interesting, so that I don't deny it by first, maybe there is something to it, maybe not. It's the P collecting information before going into conclusion part of me. Maybe there is something and I want to learn more about it before deciding.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Well, even if raised in a Christian family, I became apathetic with religion. I always had an interest on the metaphysical and paranormal phenomena even though I didn't entirely believe and the more I try to analyze and gather new data about it the more I am with skeptics side.

Same with me. I consider myself an atheist or pantheist, so I'm not spiritual or religious, but I was always interested in paranormal things or the question about life after death. I see things the scientific way though.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Are NT's usually atheist?
Are NF's usually theists?
Are there any NT's who believe in god?
Are there any NF's who don't believe in god?
I have zero spirituality. Nil. Nada.

NF atheist

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:jesus:Of course I believe in God because INTP is God and RaptorWizard is INTP!:holy:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NF pantheist. We're somewhere between atheist and theist. I consider myself spiritual but not religious.

I'd say there is a fair number of NT's in the pagan community, probably more INTJ's than INTP's.

Among those who would call themselves pantheists, I think there would be a lot of Ni users.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I identify with pantheism but usually don't bother explaining that to people.

Mole

Permabanned
I identify with pantheism but usually don't bother explaining that to people.

Christians worship the Trinity, Muslims worship Allah, but I have never heard a pantheist say they worship Pan. Why is that?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Christians worship the Trinity, Muslims worship Allah, but I have never heard a pantheist say they worship Pan. Why is that?

Bread. Bread is delicious. I worship bread.

I don't think there's some spiritual truth we can really take away from that, as it happens. I just think that there's an underlying order, but I don't get "proof" that we should love everyone or something from it. It doesn't tell me much about morality, or that a better world is possible, or any of that.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pan in Greek meant "all." Pan the was the god of nature, and nature kind of by its definition is all (in a broad sense). A pantheist believes that all is god, and god is all- or more generally that god and nature are the same.

You see dear Mole, sometimes there actually is an answer to your questions.

Mole

Permabanned
Bread. Bread is delicious. I worship bread.

I don't think there's some spiritual truth we can really take away from that, as it happens. I just think that there's an underlying order, but I don't get "proof" that we should love everyone or something from it. It doesn't tell me much about morality, or that a better world is possible, or any of that.

I don't know what you mean by your reply.

But is seems to me that the refusal of Pantheists to say they worship the God Pan is an act of bad faith.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know what you mean by your reply.

But is seems to me that the refusal of Pantheists to say they worship the God Pan is an act of bad faith.

That's not what the term means. If this is somehow about Julia Gillard losing the election, I'm sorry, but I wasn't responsible for that.

As for bad faith, I have no faith to lose, and you know it.

Mole

Permabanned
Pan in Greek meant "all." Pan the was the god of nature, and nature kind of by its definition is all (in a broad sense). A pantheist believes that all is god, and god is all- or more generally that god and nature are the same.

You see dear Mole, sometimes there actually is an answer to your questions.

But, my dear greenfairy, there is an actual God called Pan.

It is all very well to say pan means all in Ancient Greek but it is simply a way of avoiding the the actual God Pan.

So it seems to me that pantheism is the theism we have when we are not having any theism.

Mole

Permabanned
That's not what the term means. If this is somehow about Julia Gillard losing the election, I'm sorry, but I wasn't responsible for that.

As for bad faith, I have no faith to lose, and you know it.

Let me press the point: so if you have no faith to lose, why call yourself a pantheist. This would seem to be simply meretricious.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But, my dear greenfairy, there is an actual God called Pan.

It is all very well to say pan means all in Ancient Greek but it is simply a way of avoiding the the actual God Pan.

So it seems to me that pantheism is the theism we have when we are not having any theism.

In a way, pantheists actually are worshiping the God Pan because they worship nature and nature is God. Then again, they usually don't name their god Pan, so I concede you have a point. I suppose only the ancient Greeks know the relation among terms- but modern pantheists and they will never talk, so the question may never be answered.

Indeed, pantheism is theism and atheism at the same time!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In a way, pantheists actually are worshiping the God Pan because they worship nature and nature is God. Then again, they usually don't name their god Pan, so I concede you have a point. I suppose only the ancient Greeks know the relation among terms- but modern pantheists and they will never talk, so the question may never be answered.

People who have things more strictly divided up into "good" and "bad" have a hard time with pantheism, because of this.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People who have things more strictly divided up into "good" and "bad" have a hard time with pantheism, because of this.
Right. Western dualism versus Eastern holism. But the two are coming closer together...

*Western of course meaning monotheistic. Before monotheism, like earlier than 5,000 years ago (for about 120,000 years), people viewed the world in about the same way.

Mole

Permabanned

The God Pan is a supernatural Being and I don't think he would take very kindly to be lumped in with atheists.

Next time you get lost in the Bush, as the dark closes in, as the dingos howl, and you can hear the Bunyip blundering around, as all the nocturnal marsupials come awake and watch you from behind every tree and log, you might regret dissing the God Pan.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The God Pan is a supernatural Being and I don't think he would take very kindly to be lumped in with atheists.

Next time you get lost in the Bush, as the dark closes in, as the dingos howl, and you can hear the Bunyip blundering around, as all the nocturnal marsupials come awake and watch you from behind every tree and log, you might regret dissing the God Pan.

Pff. I ain't dissing him. He's a pantheist himself. ;) We're good friends.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Right. Western dualism versus Eastern holism. But the two are coming closer together...

*Western of course meaning monotheistic. Before monotheism, like earlier than 5,000 years ago (for about 120,000 years), people viewed the world in about the same way.

Well, in antiquity, they didn't care what gods you worshipped. They adopted gods freely, it seems. You can see this in how the Romans borrowed stories from the Greeks for their gods, as one example. It was certainly not an either-or thing, to be sure.

Mole

Permabanned
Pff. I ain't dissing him. He's a pantheist himself. ;) We're good friends.

Good heavens, this is tantamount to lese majeste. And just as you, a mere mortal, claim friendship with a God, a supernatual Being, you would refuse to bow or curtsy to our Queen.