User Tag List

First 202829303132 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Here, finally, the information you requested. You can find more details of pagan beliefs and practices, posted by myself and other members, on Amargith's Ask a Pagan thread.

The condensed version is I believe that deity encompasses both male, female, and all other human distinctions (and probably more). All the world's religions tap into some aspect of that, though none has the whole answer (as with the blind men and the elephant). The many discrete gods and goddesses of the various pantheons, even the God of the Bible and Quran, are just aspects of a single divine entity. One or another aspect of that entity can resonate with each of us at various times of our lives, as our needs and circumstances require.

I don't claim to know exactly what deity is, and doubt anyone else who claims to have this knowledge. I think part of it, a significant part, is an energy that permeates the universe, connecting all of us, and into which we can tap. Whether we see this as invoking the God or Goddess in some aspect, or simply reaching into our inner selves for the knowledge or strength we need, it makes no difference because it is all essentially the same. I try to follow a "golden rule"-like principle of doing harm to none (as much as possible, because doing no harm ever is impossible), while pursuing my own passions, talents, even destiny as some express it. This is summed up in the Wiccan rede: "if it harm none, do as you will". "None" is interpreted very broadly, and includes the environment, the earth, and also myself.

I do not believe that anyone can intercede for me with the divine, or give me the answers for my life. I can learn from the wisdom, insights, and experiences of others, but I must walk my path myself. My spirituality is my responsibility, not anyone else's. Most Pagans I know believe in some sort of afterlife; many in reincarnation. I remain undecided about much of this, but do believe that there is some part of us that continues after death of the body.

Paganism is often called a religion of practice rather than faith, in that we can come together to share a common form or method of worship, while retaining significant individuality of belief and interpretation. I see understanding the creation as one of the best ways to learn about the creator, and enjoy worship that engages the various senses. Perhaps this is just a way to go beyond my usual focus on words, thoughts, and technical explanations. There is much more to be understood in life.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    In what way does Celtic Wiccan belief deny reality? Exactly what aspects of reality do you think it denies?
    The work of children is play. And the purpose of play is to learn the difference between imagination and reality.

So New Age Celtic Wiccan belief fails to see the difference between imagination and reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Here, finally, the information you requested. You can find more details of pagan beliefs and practices, posted by myself and other members, on Amargith's Ask a Pagan thread.

The condensed version is I believe that deity encompasses both male, female, and all other human distinctions (and probably more). All the world's religions tap into some aspect of that, though none has the whole answer (as with the blind men and the elephant). The many discrete gods and goddesses of the various pantheons, even the God of the Bible and Quran, are just aspects of a single divine entity. One or another aspect of that entity can resonate with each of us at various times of our lives, as our needs and circumstances require.

I don't claim to know exactly what deity is, and doubt anyone else who claims to have this knowledge. I think part of it, a significant part, is an energy that permeates the universe, connecting all of us, and into which we can tap. Whether we see this as invoking the God or Goddess in some aspect, or simply reaching into our inner selves for the knowledge or strength we need, it makes no difference because it is all essentially the same. I try to follow a "golden rule"-like principle of doing harm to none (as much as possible, because doing no harm ever is impossible), while pursuing my own passions, talents, even destiny as some express it. This is summed up in the Wiccan rede: "if it harm none, do as you will". "None" is interpreted very broadly, and includes the environment, the earth, and also myself.

I do not believe that anyone can intercede for me with the divine, or give me the answers for my life. I can learn from the wisdom, insights, and experiences of others, but I must walk my path myself. My spirituality is my responsibility, not anyone else's. Most Pagans I know believe in some sort of afterlife; many in reincarnation. I remain undecided about much of this, but do believe that there is some part of us that continues after death of the body.

Paganism is often called a religion of practice rather than faith, in that we can come together to share a common form or method of worship, while retaining significant individuality of belief and interpretation. I see understanding the creation as one of the best ways to learn about the creator, and enjoy worship that engages the various senses. Perhaps this is just a way to go beyond my usual focus on words, thoughts, and technical explanations. There is much more to be understood in life.
    The word 'pagan' is pejorative. And it is pejorative because it was applied to the competing beliefs of Ancient Greece by the new religion of Christianity.

So 'pagan' refers to the Ancient Greek religion.

And so Ancient Druidic or Wiccan religion is more accurately described as 'tribal'.

The Ancient Greeks were sophisticated City States and Ancient Greek religion reflected this.

The Ancient Greeks had advanced beyond mere tribalism to form City States whose philosophy forms the basis of Western Civilization.

And New Age paganism today is merely a Romantic reaction to the Enlightenment and is no more than fatuous.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The work of children is play. And the purpose of play is to learn the difference between imagination and reality.

So New Age Celtic Wiccan belief fails to see the difference between imagination and reality.
    Most Pagans I know see this distinction much more readily than our neighbors following more mainstream religions. We see the Christ story as metaphor, like the myths of old. This doesn't mean the myths are untrue, just that they have a different truth. Most people pay too little regard to the power of the imagination, and go without its many benefits needlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The word 'pagan' is pejorative. And it is pejorative because it was applied to the competing beliefs of Ancient Greece by the new religion of Christianity.

So 'pagan' refers to the Ancient Greek religion.

And so Ancient Druidic or Wiccan religion is more accurately described as 'tribal'.

The Ancient Greeks were sophisticated City States and Ancient Greek religion reflected this.

The Ancient Greeks had advanced beyond mere tribalism to form City States whose philosophy forms the basis of Western Civilization.

And New Age paganism today is merely a Romantic reaction to the Enlightenment and is no more than fatuous.
    The word Pagan is as perjorative as the word witch, or the word geek. It tends to be perjorative in the mouths of people who have little respect for the designated group. Pagans often use it since it gives solidarity to a diverse spectrum of beliefs that share some important common features, much as Episcopalians, Methodists, Baptists and other denominations all call themselves Christian.

Pagan originally meant "country dweller", since Christianity spread first in cities, and the country folk were often the last to retain their original religions. I suppose its original derogatory connotation was "country bumpkin", much as we say today. Yes, ancient Pagan religions were tribal, as was originally even Judaism. In the modern era, this tribalism, too, is often metaphor. We practice in locales that do not always share the climate or geography of the myths, and learn to honor the reality of our present environs alongside the holly berries and spring blossoms of our imaginations.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    ESFp

I am an INFJ atheist~

Yeah, that is kinda rare.

I think SJ's in particular are more likely to be religious than other types though I do think that ISTJ might be the least religious SJ type.

Quote Originally Posted by pastabomber View Post
    I am an INFJ atheist~
    To say you are an INFJ atheist is the same as saying you are a Mongolian physicist, or a Chilean physicist or a French physicist.

And just as there is only physics and not Mongolian, Chilean or French physics, so there is only atheism.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Hey @Victor what about a Pantheistic Atheist, you know, one who takes spiritual pride in the world despite the absent divine; what about an atheist into cosmology that makes a meaning out of the world without god - they build their own internal maps of reality and hold to no religious dogma? Surely that 'subtype' of the Atheist category would be more powerful than an Atheist who has no sense of meaning.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by TSDesigner View Post
    Are NT's usually atheist?
    Are NF's usually theists?
    Are there any NT's who believe in god?
    Are there any NF's who don't believe in god?
    I have zero spirituality. Nil. Nada.
    I'm completely spiritual and am agnostic. Well, guess it depends on how you define spiritual. I meditate at least.

Atheism is as or more irrational than the belief in a god.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I'm completely spiritual and am agnostic. Well, guess it depends on how you define spiritual. I meditate at least.

Atheism is as or more irrational than the belief in a god.
    I'm inclined to agree but then there's a whole question as to what belief in anything means, if you say you believed in America for instance, does it mean you're confident that the reports that it is there are true or do you mean that you're a national patriot or that you've confidence in America as an idea or representative of ideals.

Pan

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Hey @Victor what about a Pantheistic Atheist, you know, one who takes spiritual pride in the world despite the absent divine; what about an atheist into cosmology that makes a meaning out of the world without god - they build their own internal maps of reality and hold to no religious dogma? Surely that 'subtype' of the Atheist category would be more powerful than an Atheist who has no sense of meaning.
    I myself have met Pan, the protector of animals, at dawn just above the weir. You may meet the Piper at the Gates of Dawn by clicking on - http://www.online-literature.com/grahame/windwillows/7/

@RaptorWizard