User Tag List

First 15232425262735 Last

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Haha yes. The bolded part is cruicial.
    Uh, yeah. Hence, why I labeled myself under Christianity in the first place.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Uh, yeah. Hence, why I labeled myself under Christianity in the first place.
    Well you had me a bit confused when you left out Jesus in explaining your beliefs.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Well you had me a bit confused when you left out Jesus in explaining your beliefs.
    I thought it was obvious when I said basics of Christianity and triune God.

I don't tend to discuss such personal matters with people openly.

your resident asshole

I thought it was obvious when I said basics of Christianity and triune God.

I don't tend to discuss such personal matters with people openly.
    Well, to be fair...some people who say they are Christian don't even believe Jesus was the son of god.

And gah! Sorry, I didn't the word "triune" before. I'm such a horrible sensor, aren't I? :/

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Ok, I will get more specific since apparently I have to. In the triune God scenario I believe in God the father, Jesus the Son, as the holy spirit.
    Why? Why three persons and not 2, or 12, or 99? Why these specific three? (I am always interested in what motivates and informs someone's beliefs.)

Edit: for the record, I am INTJ and pagan.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Sniffles

haha, no it is, as in I believe in the basic tenements of the Christian faith. I just tend to focus on the basics and don't care much for the details that don't really matter.
    You mean like the Nicene creed?

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Why? Why three persons and not 2, or 12, or 99? Why these specific three? (I am always interested in what motivates and informs someone's beliefs.)
    Disclaimer: I don't pretend to be some scholar on theological subjects, this is entirely from my personal experiences and study over my life. I've been everything from Catholic (childhood) to atheist to agnostic to Taoist to Buddhist to whatever I am now. I also extremely rarely talk about this subject because I loathe the idea of looking like some crazy fundamentalist who is bent on saving the world single handedly.

I guess it comes from my personal experiences with trying to seek out is there a God or not over the years. I stumbled upon a church in my area with a pastor who's sermons really resonate with me because the guy is a genius and incorporates a lot of science into what he talks about. (Also Lost and the Lion King.) He teaches the concept that God is love and that love is only possible in a relationship. (Which is part of his explanation on why God isn't singular, in that love has to occur between two or more beings in order for it to be love. My guess on that there are three is that there is something to the give and take of a triangle relationship.) I don't see any downside in living this way. In the end it is a leap of faith to make that jump from what I see and have proof of with my limited views.

Trying to live in a loving fashion makes me a calmer and happier person overall. It affects the people I come into contact with because they like being around me and getting loved by me. Some of them are inspired to try and love other people.

I figure the worst case scenario is that there is nothing and I die and dissolve into nothingness. Doesn't change the fact that I may have made a positive impact on the world, and doesn't lessen it in my eyes. Best case scenario, there is "another world beyond this one, a better one."

I feel like I am rambling, but there is my response for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post

Edit: for the record, I am INTJ and pagan.
    What do you believe? I don't know too many pagans irl.
    Dirt Farmer

MBTI
    INFP

I remember trying to defend the trinity scripturally once. I looked into early church teachings, original greek, textual variants etc. My certainty that the trinity is scripturally defensible gradually dwindled. In the end the strongest argument I could summon amounted to: "If it's wrong then why did God let us all believe it? Given that at one stage trinitarianism hinged almost solely on the conviction of one person (Athanasius), surely it would've been easier to erase that conviction than to vastly duplicate it?" Which obviously isn't much of an argument.

Let the record show I'm INFP and don't know if I have a religion anymore. How INFP is that?

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

^ they do call them dreamers. I always thought INFPs were more philosophical, whatever that means.
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~