User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

Sniffles

Anyways, how about some music?

O Virgin pure, immaculate O Lady Theotokos
    O Virgin Mother, Queen of all and fleece which is all dewy
    More radiant than the rays of sun and higher than the heavens
    Delight of virgin choruses superior to Angels.
    Much brighter than the firmament and purer than the sun's light
    More holy than the multitude of all the heav'nly armies.

Permabanned

I have no idea what my religious beliefs are anymore. My point is, I think it's a progression...people aren't a set thing...as things change, so do their beliefs.

I've met very few atheists...and of the one's I've met, they don't really fit into any one personality type.

Online, however, I'd say there is a tendency towards nts being "unconventionally religious". Usually, their religious beliefs come with a twist..

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    The Universe (and whatever may exist outside it) is ancient and vast. Surely throughout immensity and eternity life has emerged under all phases of development. We have no idea at what level of advancement some such civilizations may have attained, and if one were sufficiently evolved, perhaps they would be so powerful, that the great wonders they could work would appear to us as divine power, though the question of whether we have ever received extraterrestrial contact is at best speculative.
    That is indeed rather reasonable ('Contact' by Carl Sagan comes to mind). But I think you are not doing yourself a favor by calling them gods.

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Being a virgin is hardly celebratory of femininity.
    And she was not even a virgin! The Septuagint translated the Hebrew 'almah', meaning 'young, prolific woman' as 'parthenos', meaning 'virgin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    But I think you are not doing yourself a favor by calling them gods.
    @RaptorWizard
    This is pretty much where I sit. If they evolved over time what would make them gods? They are just farther along than we are. Just aliens....
    Dirt Farmer

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    To be honest, I've been enjoying our little discussion. As to answer your question: maybe. INFJs believe all sorts of things really.

The one link I posted earlier maybe of help in that regards: http://www.msgr.ca/msgr/WEBPrayerHAN...ian_prayer.htm
    Although dealing with NFs in general, I think many INFJs could easily relate to the spiritual style explained. I know I can.
    Cool, I have too. I even enjoy heated debates sometimes. I'd like to look at some of the links you've posted when I have some time.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    I have no idea what my religious beliefs are anymore. My point is, I think it's a progression...people aren't a set thing...as things change, so do their beliefs.

I've met very few atheists...and of the one's I've met, they don't really fit into any one personality type.

Online, however, I'd say there is a tendency towards nts being "unconventionally religious". Usually, their religious beliefs come with a twist..
    I agree. My beliefs have certainly evolved over the years. After deciding I wasn't Christian anymore though I really just added a lot of things and stopped subtracting. Many of the world's religions have underlying principles which fit together like a puzzle. I'm pagan, which is an umbrella term that technically includes anything non-Abrahamic; but I use it to say I identify with indigenous beliefs from around the world, including Western Europe. I'm also Hindu and Taoist. The three are so interrelated it would be hard to say which I am more.

I'm sure I know a few atheists, probably a lot in my philosophy classes- but the one I'm aware of off the top of my head is ENFP.
    And she was not even a virgin! The Septuagint translated the Hebrew 'almah', meaning 'young, prolific woman' as 'parthenos', meaning 'virgin'.
    That's another thing I wanted to mention: in Greek and Roman temples it was common for the "virgins" to actually be sacred prostitutes so to speak. The word prostitute is misleading as well- but they would have sacred sex with people channeling a goddess, sometimes part of a ritual.

WALMART

I can more easily perceive an eternal universe than one could conceive an eternal god.

Occam's Razor ftw.

Sniffles

And she was not even a virgin!
    Yes cause to be a young bride in First Century Palestine it was required to blow at least 50 guys before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes cause to be a young bride in First Century Palestine it was required to blow at least 50 guys before hand.
    We are talking about a literary character here, not a person. Since your ilk has made such a fuss about her virginity, it seems only fair to mention it.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Oh contraire. Most women understand this, as do men. There is a natural submissiveness most women have to a man. Even if the woman is very strong in every other way, woman is naturally made to be submissive to her partner, overall. Dominant = superior. Though I did qualify it and say that of course it takes both to have the necessary balance for life to survive and thrive.
    Well thanks for letting me know just how much of a sexist you are.

Sniffles

Since your ilk has made such a fuss about her virginity, it seems only fair to mention it.
    Nitpicking is hardly making a valid point here. So the original Hebrew meant "young woman." And?

*Through a quick google search on the issue, it appears that while almah does indeed mean "young woman", it refers to a "young woman" whose of marriageable age and is indeed a virgin.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=F55...in.%22&f=false

And yes Mary was a "young woman" of marriageable age and as a result was a virgin. So what's the issue here?