User Tag List

First 8161718192028 Last

Results 171 to 180 of 386

  1. #171
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    A Creator God as in the one who rules a galactic super civilization? Now that I believe to be scientifically plausible and possible.
    Which steps led you to the conclusion that there is a galactic super civilization and that its ruler is a god?

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Which steps led you to the conclusion that there is a galactic super civilization and that its ruler is a god?
    The Universe (and whatever may exist outside it) is ancient and vast. Surely throughout immensity and eternity life has emerged under all phases of development. We have no idea at what level of advancement some such civilizations may have attained, and if one were sufficiently evolved, perhaps they would be so powerful, that the great wonders they could work would appear to us as divine power, though the question of whether we have ever received extraterrestrial contact is at best speculative.

  3. #173
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Concerning type and belief, I've always found this guide rather helpful, distinguishing how different types have different styles of prayer and spirituality:
    http://www.msgr.ca/msgr-3/personalitytypeprayers.html

  4. #174
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Liberation

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    In other words Victor, you're wrong!
    The nice thing about the suspension of disbelief is that it is only a suspension, and that after enjoying the benefits of a particular belief, we return to disbelief.

    Another nice thing about the suspension of disbelief is that we can suspend our disbelief about many different religions. We can suspend our disbelief about Hinduism; and we can suspend our disbelief about Roman Catholicism; and we can suspend our disbelief about Islam; we can even suspend our disbelief about Baha'i; not to mention suspending our disbelief of Zeus and Poseidon; and we can even suspend our disbelief in atheism.

    Of course the various religions and belief systems are scandalised by the suspension of disbelief in so many - to them it is sacrilegious, illogical, and even promiscuous in the religious sense. And in many parts of the world we are discriminated against and even killed for suspending our disbelief in so many religions. But it is the liberation of the imagination.

  5. #175
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    The Universe (and whatever may exist outside it) is ancient and vast. Surely throughout immensity and eternity life has emerged under all phases of development. We have no idea at what level of advancement some such civilizations may have attained, and if one were sufficiently evolved, perhaps they would be so powerful, that the great wonders they could work would appear to us as divine power, though the question of whether we have ever received extraterrestrial contact is at best speculative.
    We now know there are more planets than stars so there is a chance there is life on other planets, but the chances of us conducting a conversation are small.

  6. #176
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But it is the liberation of the imagination.
    Seek the truth, for the truth shall set you free. One can only find the truth if they seek understanding. Yet to seek understanding, one must first believe. One must believe in order they may understand. It is the liberation of the Intellect.

  7. #177
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Seek the truth, for the truth shall set you free. One can only find the truth if they seek understanding. Yet to seek understanding, one must first believe. One must believe in order they may understand. It is the liberation of the Intellect.

  8. #178
    Gone Aesthete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx
    Posts
    385

    Default

    INTP sounds like the most reasonable argument until now, though I have some points which would say INTJ. In either case, I'm a Christian. Born a Catholic, but I wouldn't say I agree full-heartedly with all of the doctrine; I have quite a few influences coming from the Gnostics and--to some extent--Pelagianism, though I will admit I haven't studied enough to say anything conclusive.

    While I do have certain beliefs of my own, I'm not against the idea of a big church--such as the Catholic one. While I do admit it can be faulty, I do not side with those who dislike the idea per se--those I see as modern, religious anarchists who are extremely proud of themselves for being--in their own little heads--"critical thinkers," while they're exactly the opposite (in a lot of cases).
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

    Schopenhauer

  9. #179
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I understand why you're frustrated, but no single person can change this cultural view that the overwhelming majority of people have. There isn't anything I or any single person can do about this.
    No, but each person can speak and behave in a way which is inclusive of different viewpoints. Just like not using language which is derogatory to gay people or something like that. It's not as bad of course, but the same sort of awareness and personal responsibility helps. Like I use gender neutral language when talking about religious matters as much as possible, no matter who I'm talking to- I say "Deity," "Divinity," etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    True. I don't exactly know how to phrase what I'm trying to say here. There isn't really a reason for them to change it. Plus, I know that the Bible has been changed many times in the past. Often it seems as if this was done for certain people to gain power. Yet, I don't think people would be happy with the Bible being changed today, especially if they do not necessarily agree with the changes.

    Also, my response to the below quote is another reason for them not to change this.

    Gah, my words aren't coming out right.


    I think there is disagreement in the community on whether or not the Abrahamic god is actually male. The literalists believe he is, but others believe he is beyond gender. My reason for why the Abrahamic god is male is likely not accepted by the literalists.
    No, the people in control of things don't have any reason to change it; but maybe if the culture changes there will be a demand for it eventually. If enough people think about the issue and think that it's a problem, that will happen. You're right, if there is a lot of disagreement in the religions about the point, it will probably be awhile before something gets done. Good point.

    My point is more about individuals in everyday life who are not explicitly Christian/Jewish/Muslim; if you don't have a specific reason to think of Deity as a He, it might be worthwhile to think about this fact and try using other language.

    This is actually the main reason I stopped being Christian; I didn't like the male emphasis and lack of feminine divine. I admit it felt weird at first to say She, but the more I got used to the idea the more I liked it. It was around this time I started to think I was pagan. Now I'm happy in a spirituality with Divinity represented by both genders.

  10. #180
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    No, but each person can speak and behave in a way which is inclusive of different viewpoints. Just like not using language which is derogatory to gay people or something like that. It's not as bad of course, but the same sort of awareness and personal responsibility helps. Like I use gender neutral language when talking about religious matters as much as possible, no matter who I'm talking to- I say "Deity," "Divinity," etc.

    No, the people in control of things don't have any reason to change it; but maybe if the culture changes there will be a demand for it eventually. If enough people think about the issue and think that it's a problem, that will happen. You're right, if there is a lot of disagreement in the religions about the point, it will probably be awhile before something gets done. Good point.

    My point is more about individuals in everyday life who are not explicitly Christian/Jewish/Muslim; if you don't have a specific reason to think of Deity as a He, it might be worthwhile to think about this fact and try using other language.
    If simply not using gender neutral pronouns when referring to divinities is this offensive to you, I'd consider growing thicker skin. There is no need to continue carrying on about something so trivial.

    Do you get irritated when people use words such as "mankind" as well?

    This is actually the main reason I stopped being Christian; I didn't like the male emphasis and lack of feminine divine. I admit it felt weird at first to say She, but the more I got used to the idea the more I liked it. It was around this time I started to think I was pagan. Now I'm happy in a spirituality with Divinity represented by both genders.
    This is an extremely poor excuse for logic. I sincerely hope that you meant to write something else.

Similar Threads

  1. MBTI Type and I.Q.
    By RansomedbyFire in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 1059
    Last Post: 08-20-2017, 08:04 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 01:28 PM
  3. Your MBTI type and your Socionics type
    By 527468 in forum Socionics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-28-2008, 04:03 PM
  4. MBTI type and Hypnotizability
    By Usehername in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 02:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO