User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Hmm...well thanks for this.

I'd like to say that I'll read up more on Coomaraswamy, but I'm notoriously lazy. I find that I don't tend to learn much if the content is too thick unless I am in a structured environment that forces me to do so.
    That's understandable. I will be honest that much of what Coomaraswamy talks about is very difficult to understand at first, but little by little it becomes more clear. FWIW, here's Rama's piece "The Desacralization of Hinduism for Western Consumption", which underlines many of the misinterpretations presented to Westerners of Hindu practices.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    That's understandable. I will be honest that much of what Coomaraswamy talks about is very difficult to understand at first, but little by little it becomes more clear. FWIW, here's Rama's piece "The Desacralization of Hinduism for Western Consumption", which underlines many of the misinterpretations presented to Westerners of Hindu practices.
    Thanks. As with anything of this nature, I'll be digesting it very slowly.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Then why even believe in a creator-god?
    A Creator God as in the one who designed this miserable matrix? I suppose to not believe in such a thing would be perfectly rational.

A Creator God as in the one who rules a galactic super civilization? Now that I believe to be scientifically plausible and possible.

Of course, perhaps both Gods exist, or perhaps none exist. We don't have enough information to make a definite judgment.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And so we conclude that Art is superior to religion.
    Art is about beauty, and we all know that beauty shall save the world. Beauty is nothing less than the splendor of truth. For there is no beauty save the beauty of God. Every beauty belongs to God, for it is his beauty. Beauty is the internalizing of truth, for the Kingdom of God is within you.

In other words Victor, you're wrong!

MBTI
    INTP

INTP, former Christian--now agnostic atheist. I had experiences I considered proof of God at the time. When I left my religion, my eyes became opened to how I'd had spiritual experiences/confirmations based on things that I now know for a fact are not true, so I lost the ability to trust in good feelings to steer me towards what's real or not real. If I can generate "truth" feelings based on things that are historically proven to be made up (specifically pertaining to my religion), I can generate truth feelings on almost anything I want to believe in.

I don't think we can know God, if he/she exists. Our proof is all based on feelings, out-of-body experiences for some, coincidences, dreams/visions, and texts that are considered sacred. Just because someone wrote a book about Jesus or Mohammed doesn't mean it's a "true" book. It's just a book. All of these things are purely subjective. The more I read about the origins of religion in general, and of the need humans have to create a framework of safety, justice, meaning and comfort, the more I see God as a creation of Man, not vice versa. I think there may be some sort of "god energy" out there, but that's really as far as I'm willing to go. If there's a God, no one knows anymore about him or her or it than anyone else does--no one even knows if God is anthropomorphic or not.

I'm definitely not a Christian anymore. Christ may have been a great teacher, but I don't buy the idea that God came down in human form and that we needed him to die for the sins of the world. There's lots of mythology surrounding Christ's life that shares an awful lot of characteristics with other ancient Gods. We've adopted other mythologies to create our own, but our ignorance of those mythologies makes ours seem unique. Christ is not the only being that was born of a virgin, that lived a sinless life, that was tortured to death and resurrected.

I was indoctrinated in religion from the time I was a small kid. My parents' and my adult role models' approval of me was very much tied up in my being a good Christian girl. I believed, I had spiritual experiences, I loved God. But there were always logic cracks. Always things that bothered me, that made no sense. I guess getting close to 40 makes you really examine what is making you happy versus what you're doing out of habit or to please others. Under examination, organized religion quickly got jettisoned. It was a HUGE relief. Soon after went my belief in God and Jesus. That was unexpected and hard at first. But I simply couldn't believe anymore. It didn't make sense. I now live by the Atheist's Wager. If there is a God, he/she will know what kind of person I was and will not expect me to comply to one religion's idea of what is right, nor penalize me for not picking the right one. If there is not a God, I will have lived the kind of life I wanted to live, making the best of my time on earth, rather than laying up treasures in heaven.

So, yeah, my NTness was subjugated to religious indoctrination for many years. My brain is fully mine now, and I love it.
    Something Witty

Sniffles

@DisneyGeek, another wonderful scholar I can suggest is Huston Smith, whose work the World's Religions is often considered a classic in comparative religious studies:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'm definitely not a Christian anymore.
    You were still religious a few years ago, right? Or am I misremembering early TypeC days?

--

I'm basically a complete agnostic-atheist 59/60 days of my time, and then about 1/60 days I have a fleeting experience of faith, and I really believe.

So a long time ago I just decided to be a person of faith every day. Hence the CS Lewis quote in my signature.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'm definitely not a Christian anymore.
    You were still religious a few years ago, right? Or am I misremembering early TypeC days?

--

I'm basically a complete agnostic-atheist 59/60 days of my time, and then about 1/60 days I have a fleeting experience of faith, and I really believe.

So a long time ago I just decided to be a person of faith every day. Hence the CS Lewis quote in my signature.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post

--

Yeah--the questioning began a few years ago, and then the complete break is somewhat recent.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post

--

Yeah--the questioning began a few years ago, and then the complete break is somewhat recent.
    Something Witty