User Tag List

Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: MBTI type and belief in god

Senior Member Array StrappingYoungLad's Avatar

I believe in future gods. Emerging entities scattered around the universe that grow in strength and eventually reaching states in which their manifestations are perceived as god-like powers.
    Dishonest ISFPs make me sad.

Senior Member Array mockingbird's Avatar

I believe in God. I'm a Christian. I really can't prove my beliefs to anyone through a logical arguement. God is something that one can only prove to oneself. For me, my faith is a gift. That's the best way that I can describe it. I can not give that gift to anyone through a rational arguement. I will just continue to stay true to my faith and grow in the love of Christ. Doing this has continued to make me a stronger and more compassionate person, and I think this is the best arguement for my beliefs. I think it was St Francis who once said, "Go out into all the world and preach the gospel, and if necessary, use words."
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
    ~ Groucho Marx

I believe in something, and eventually we will figure out what it is, and what it isn't!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

I find it hard as an ENFP to look at this amazing universe we live in and NOT draw some type of grand pattern from it. I think some of the most fascinating things being studied right now in Quantum Physics and Consciousness point to some extremely eye-opening religious implications.

Henry Stapp, quantum physicist:
    "Scientists other than quantum physicists often fail to comprehend the
    enormity of the conceptual change wrought by quantum theory in our basic
    conception of the nature of matter...The shift is from a local, reductionistic,
    deterministic conception of nature in which consciousness has no logical
    place, and can do nothing but passively watch a preprogrammed course of
    events, to a nonlocal, nonreductionistic, nondeterministic, concept of nature in
    which there is a perfectly natural place for consciousness, a place that allows
    each conscious event, conditioned, but not bound, by any known law of
    , to grasp a possible large-scale metastable pattern of neuronal activity
    in the brain, and convert its status from 'possible' to 'actual'."

Paul Davies and John Gribbon, physicists :
    "Quantum physics undermines materialism because it reveals that matter has far less
    'substance' than we might believe.

"Thus the rigid determinism of Newton's clockwork Universe evaporates, to be
    replaced by a world in which the future is open..."

"Today, on the brink of the twenty-first century, we can see that Ryle was right to
    dismiss the notion of the ghost in the machine--not because there is no ghost, but
    because there is no machine."

Jonathan Shear, philosopher:
    "Thus the modern scientific worldview, regarding the universe as material in
    nature and unfolding like a machine according to precise, mathematically
    articulatable laws gained ascendancy and became the context of much of our
    Western intellectual discourse. Nevertheless, the largely forgotten early puzzle
    about the role of the mathematics in the physical sciences remained and has
    continued to draw the attention of influential physicists. For mathematics
    appears to be paradigmatically non-physical. Its objects are characteristically
    universal in nature, in sharp contrast to the complete particularity of all
    physical entities and empirical observations; it is discovered within the realm
    of thought
    , not in the physical world; and the truth of its theorems are almost
    always evaluated completely mentally, rather than by objective scientific
    investigation. Thus as physics becomes progressively more mathematized, its
    objects often seem puzzlingly to become more mental than physical

John Gribbon, physicist:
    "Take the Copenhagen Interpretation literally, and it tells you that an electron wave
    collapses to make a point on a detector screen because the entire Universe is looking
    at it. This is strange enough; but some cosmologists (among them Stephen Hawking)
    worry that it implies that there must actually be something 'outside the Universe' to
    look at the Universe as a whole and collapse its overall wave function"

Colin McGinn, philosopher:
    "If consciousness is not constitutionally spatial, then how could it have had its
    origin in the spatial world? ...The only ingredients in the pot when
    consciousness was cooking were particles and fields laid out in space, yet
    something radically non-spatial got produced
    ...We seem compelled to
    conclude that something essentially non-spatial emerged from something
    purely spatial--that the non-spatial is somehow a construction out of the
    spatial. And this looks more like magic than a predictable unfolding of natural

To me, it is clear that consciousness is a fundamental property in this universe and points to an intelligent being/mind outside of the mix responsible for it all. I also believe that there will always be more than enough reason to doubt for those that want/chose to.

Ironically, that strengthens my faith all the more, the fact that there is no single evidential set of proof of God's existence even after ALL THESE YEARS of thought/actions of truly brilliant people to prove one way or the other. In the end, it continues to come down to the open-heart and faith that distinguishes one from the other.

Is it so surprising? After all, Jesus spoke in parables, not just to reveal, but to conceal. I find it totally fitting that Nature does the same.

Faith, to me, is something all together supra-rational.

I've seriously no idea. While being highly sceptic... there's also a fuzzier, spiritual, seeking side. The two just kind of... collide. Some days I'm all about "there's a meaning beyond our comprehension" and others am all "just a random coincidence", nothing more to it, period. Most often both at the same time. One thing for sho: am going to be seeking till the day I die, from as many angles as possible, but doubt I'll ever get a definite resolution that would satisfy me, a sort of clear and holistic view that I could be comfortable with.

I guess that makes me agnostic? I wouldn't really be happy with that, though. But for now that's probably the case...

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Religion and Type - An MBTI Perspective Someone's humorous ponderings.
    Lol, I skip through the entire NT believe system posted on that site, but currently I'm primarily atheist yes. And I will be until someone at least proposes a sensible god, instead of a 'forgiving', 'angry', 'omnipresent', 'infallible', 'generally human quality' god. It makes no sense that there's a bearded guy up in the sky who controls everything. It also makes no sense that 'nature' has 'mystical powers' that control everything, like wicca proclaims. I'm a bit round up recently by my debate with Peguy in his darwinism vs. intelligent design thread, but it has surely strengthened my already existing believe, that if there is such a thing as a god, we cannot, by definition, define him (In human terms). If we could, he wouldn't be a god, he'd be a law of physics. And I think an organised religion based on a law of physics would be unnecessary, because laws of physics are there, regardless of whether you define them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspo View Post
    To me, it is clear that consciousness is a fundamental property in this universe and points to an intelligent being/mind outside of the mix responsible for it all. I also believe that there will always be more than enough reason to doubt for those that want/chose to.
    Something separates us from monkeys (well...a lot of things). "Meaning" is a human construct. Why must there be an outside force behind it.

Just look at NF vs ST. The same event will be interpreted differently by people of each temperament. Just because the NFs derive meaning from it doesn't mean the STs will share their opinion.

It's just like Ne paranoia. Just because an NP freaks out and start addressing meaning to things, doesn't mean that he/she is right nor does it mean there is some entity conferring meaning to things. Since the "meaning" in things is all a matter of perception. Sometimes faulty perception.

There is always room for doubt, for sure. But like anything that is unknown to mankind there doesn't have to be a mystical explanation for it. Thunder...oh my, are the gods angry at us? Oh... but now we know that :

"Thunder is the sound made by lightning. Depending on the nature of the lightning and distance of the listener, it can range from a sharp, loud crack to a long, low rumble (brontide). The sudden increase in pressure and temperature from lightning produces rapid expansion of the air surrounding and within a bolt of lightning. In turn, this expansion of air creates a sonic shock wave which produces the sound of thunder."

What does that tells us about the unknown? Or the origin of thunder?

Dreaming the life Array onemoretime's Avatar

If the question is whether I believe a god exists, my answer is "mu".

I'm not sure that as an ENFP I can fully believe or not believe in a non-provable construct. I can act like I do, but on a deeper level it will always be in one of those open states where I have reasons to believe either way. Much like aliens, though I believe there is more of a realistic case for them than God.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Quote Originally Posted by TSDesigner View Post
    Are NT's usually atheist?
    Are NF's usually theists?
    Are there any NT's who believe in god?
    Are there any NF's who don't believe in god?
    I have zero spirituality. Nil. Nada.
    I am an atheist.