User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Read it all but didn't get the visualization your talking about. He doesn't even go through a visualization process. But when i try to observe my thoughtless awareness usually its a constant peaceful feeling that makes me feel happy.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.derekrhode.com/MiscHosting/Pics/151645.png[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    SEXY

A good read. The author is very skilled in predicting when my ego starts questioning his ideas throughout the book. Also while I felt this awareness state plenty of times before it was usually outward focused. I liked that the author turned it more introspective.

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    6w7

I got to that kind of a state a few years ago, it's kind of like like accepting there is no 'good' or 'bad' (Not exclusively in the moral sense,), as those things are things I create to escape from pain (and your ego ceates an ientity of all th 'good' things) - necessary, yet something that can go too far, and if you 'don't worry' and just 'relax' then living can become a whole lot more bareable.

I'd think to myself 'what's wrong? It's okay, you're not being stabbed in the face by acrazy axe murderer. What is 'wrong' anyway? And what's bad about this 'wrong', or being so? Your 'self' is in no way static; it's an ever changing fluid thing, there's no 'good' or 'bad' in here, just 'you'; and a true unrefined self is everything and nothing it is neither 'good' nor 'bad' (as there is no good or bad when it comes to a self) it just 'is'. Shadow selves come from the restriction and categorizing that comes with thought; from not acepting there is no true 'good' or 'bad''

This is why the things we're unable to put into words are normally the most powerful, real things to us; we can't seperate the bad parts from the good parts; can't define it - each thing a concept is made up from has associations for us, one's mind cannot help but think, and associate. If we can't define it, we can't take it apart, we just accept that 'it' 'is'.

If you stop thinking of yourself as a thing that's temporal it also helps. You are this constantly morphing set of reactions to your perceptions of your reality - in the 'right now that is forever' the author was talking about.
    We distinguish good and bad for self preservation - socially - a 'good' person will fit in with the 'group', presently - my immediate circumstances, physical discofort, needs and so on.

When the author talks about the mind, I think of it as the thing that categorizes things, on one hand to help you comprehend in a way that makes sense to you - in this respect thinking is limiting; as, as the author says, we all have our own way of thinking, of percieving.
    On the other we categorize according to our own sense of 'good' and 'bad', and so on.

The ego needs to exist in order for us to function, and for it and us to function we need a solid identity; a solid 'good' we continually define and attempt to move towards. The more solid an identity we have, the stronger our ego becomes - and the stronger our shadow becomes.

It's good to have an identity, but it's okay to 'relax' .

Sorry for the waffle, I get carried away with that...just my 2 cents...
    Come along Fool
    A direct hit of the senses you are disconnected
    It's not that it's bad, it's not that it's death
    It's just on the tip of your tongue, and you're so silent

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    I read this and became aware of my awareness, I saw my thoughts from my awareness, and tried to "be in the moment". It was completely trippy and profound. I temporarily saw myself, my "other self" and I'm scared to say it but it was what looked like me in a curled up position all alone in an unknown space or time, I don't know why but that is what I had a glimpse of. I am losing my mind.

http://selfobserve.com/How_to_Lose_Y...er_an_Hour.pdf
    I do this a lot, actually. It's weird, but sometimes helpful, because you can see yourself more objectively.
    Wait, what did you say again?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sacrator View Post
    Read it all but didn't get the visualization your talking about. He doesn't even go through a visualization process. But when i try to observe my thoughtless awareness usually its a constant peaceful feeling that makes me feel happy.
    I didn't really "see" my awareness, I was just aware of it and it left an impression. The part where he asks you, Who are you without your pants? is where you identify your other self, of course not everyone is going to able to do it though.

It's hard to really disconnect from your ego thoughts considering the average thought takes 1/30 of a second to create. which is about 2.6 million thoughts a day.

Our mind can't perceive the present moment.

But conscious awareness can.

Thus, we must be more than our minds.

This is my natural state of awareness. It's scary sometimes because the present moment is infinite, but then I realize there's nothing to be afraid of.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    The author is hilarious. Still reading it.
    Yea that's probably the best part of this book, just laughing out loud.

MBTI
    ENTP

This book has made me discover that I am really a dolphin.

If you don't believe me, you're closed minded.
    Last edited by Argus; 09-13-2009 at 03:32 PM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Closed minded*

So long, and thanks for all the fish?
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INTP

Why am I unable to experience what everybody else seems to be able to experience?