User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Default The Universe: In our minds

A neat thought came to me. It's just a thought, completely irrational, and imaginative, but I think this would be an interested open-ended topic.

What if you looked into someone's eyes and saw another universe? That is the question that my sister just asked me nearly 5 minutes ago that stemmed this outburst of radical and imaginative thought.

It got me to thinking: What if our universe was the mind of one being? residing past the eyes of a superior force. A so called God? I don't want this to be a religious discussion, by any means. What if all that is is just one huge giant facet of thought? A stream of mind in which we are living.

And then..it brought me to the question: What if inside each of our minds/souls resided universes, too. All of our thoughts consciously brewing in one huge hurricane of being. A universe that could be very similar or very different from our own.

Very intriguing.

Any open ended thoughts?

But if you find this to complete BS, then please don't waste your time posting.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Every person does have something of a universe lurking behind their eyes. But usually the talented artists are the ones who are best at sharing this universe with others.

Sometimes we forget people are three dimensional. We are much more than just a description of our type. On the inside is an entire universe.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    OP
    See Hinduism and the incommunicability of content.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Everyone sees their own universe, the concept of colour blindness astounds me.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

The universe is exactly how you perceive it. We perceive it by our mind through our senses. That is why beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    I've always thought that the colour you would see in your eyes could be different in another persons eyes. The feeling of something would be different to you then if someone else were feeling it. Same for smell, taste and hearing. I could here beautiful music and someone else would think it's really bad. Why? Because they perceive it differently than the way I would. Or so I think.

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I've always thought that as the concept of people liking different things than I do is absolutely absurd (to me), it's quite possible that in reality, people are all exactly the same, but the way we personally define it changes everything. Something is defined a certain way because a group of people say it's so, so a group of people could be pointing to something and declare its colour green, even though in reality what the three people in the group may be looking at is red, orange, and blue to them. So perhaps everybody has the same favourite colour, but it's just defined differently for them. There is no way of determining whether we are all looking at the same thing when we look at something. Which means that there's no way of determining anything.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    There is no way of determining whether we are all looking at the same thing when we look at something. Which means that there's no way of determining anything.
    Uh oh, existential crisis impending in 3, 2 , 1...
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Uh oh, existential crisis impending in 3, 2 , 1...
    Heh, didn't quite mean it like that, though I see your point.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Everyone sees their own universe, the concept of colour blindness astounds me.
    There is no such thing as being completely color blind, as in seeing black and white. I'm color blind so I know this, I actually see colors quite vividly but the blindness they mean is that we see less variety of color, a narrow spectrum of colors if you will. I often get confused between brownish and greenish colors, or can't tell a big difference between violet and dark blue.

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Insofar as we can speak of a universe in your mind, that universe must be different from the real McCoy. The first necessarily refers to something beyond itself. The second necessarily cannot. But because the first refers to the "greater" universe of necessity in order to be what it is, using the term, "universe", to represent the finite mind begins to betray its etymological grounding.

There are many aspects to what you've said, and it is a fuzzy subject to me. If you articulate your ideas into something more structured, I bet we would both benefit.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.