• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Someone give me a quick rundown on the Zodiac

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Is there any rhyme or reason to this stuff?

oh my word yes!

Astrology has a lot of strong patterns in it, it has an impressively ancient history and has been used for religion and farming purposes for milleniums...

The patterns can be quite complex

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
How is it that my birth month indicates what kind of personality I have?

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
Is there any rhyme or reason to this stuff?

"Even today, people who still believe in astrology fall almost without exception for the old superstitious assumption of the influence of the stars. And yet anyone who can calculate a horoscope should know that, since the days of Hipparchus of Alexandria, the spring-point has been fixed at 0° Aries, and that the zodiac on which every horoscope is based is therefore quite arbitrary, the spring-point having gradually advanced, since then, into the first degrees of Pisces, owing to the precession of the equinoxes."- C.G. Jung, The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
How is it that my birth month indicates what kind of personality I have?

it only does roughtly.... to eb accurate you need a time birth and place..

Astorlogy is made up of 7 tranditional planets and 3 modern ones.

The placement of these planets gives and idea of the person you are likely to be...

I just lost you are really good post. you can learn more about astrology here...
All pages - Astrowiki-en

the main subjects to look at are:
Planets
Houses
Signs
Aspects..

That ought to give you an idea of how it all works...

Enjoy

grasshoppersings

MBTI Type
infj
Astrology gets its power from the occult. The occult is run by the powers of darkness and the prince of darkness is the devil. Stay away from the occult unless you enjoy being lied to. It's a bunch of useless garbage. God created your personality and it has nothing to do with the stars. MBTI tests are an acurate description of how you are wired, much better than any other personality test I've taken. Stick with that and tell the occult "NO!"

Jaguar

Astrology gets its power from the occult. The occult is run by the powers of darkness and the prince of darkness is the devil. Stay away from the occult unless you enjoy being lied to. It's a bunch of useless garbage. God created your personality and it has nothing to do with the stars. MBTI tests are an acurate description of how you are wired, much better than any other personality test I've taken. Stick with that and tell the occult "NO!"

Tell me I didn't just read this inane horse shit.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
"God" gets its power from the occult. The occult is run by the powers of darkness and pope is the devil. Stay away from the church unless you enjoy being lied to. It's a bunch of useless garbage. Genetics created your personality and it has nothing to do with religion. MBTI tests are an acurate description of how you are wired, much better than any other personality test I've taken. Stick with that and tell the church "NO!"

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP

sorry but this is shit...

Astrology interprets astronomical data of star movment. The stuff that nasa use to understand where the planets are logisitcally. Astrologers apply an interpretation to this. You may not like the interpretation that astrologers provide but it's not from some mystical source I can assure you.

MBTI is based on Jung who used astrology when developng his psycological perspective... BIZARLY enough. It's only 100 years or so that Science, medicine etc seperated from astrology

Actually a fair bit of psycology is basic fundementals of astrology...

Mysticicim and various spiritualist use occult - which is very different from astrology which is MUCH more analytic than psycic.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
That's a nice opinion but I'm looking for more factual based reasoning.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
More serious opinion, it's all garbage. Someone decided one day that the stars have something to do with how we behave, and bam, the idea stuck around. I mean, the stars were mysterious and all that, so they had to have a higher meaning right?

You may as well try to extract meaning from clouds, dice, tea leaves, rocks, the mood of your cat, whatever gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
try astro.com. you can get a very basic computerised interpretation - it's rough I have to say but will give you a taste.. Otherwise you can get a professional to do it, I can recommend a fair few...

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
More serious opinion, it's all garbage. Someone decided one day that the stars have something to do with how we behave, and bam, the idea stuck around. I mean, the stars were mysterious and all that, so they had to have a higher meaning right?

You may as well try to extract meaning from clouds, dice, tea leaves, rocks, the mood of your cat, whatever gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

again shit, astrology has been dated back are 2000 years BC ... was principally used then for farming purposes and for understanding the plights of kingdoms... Plato, Atristoltle etc etc all used it

maybe you need to learn a little before disparagment, and no I really can't be arsed trying to get you to open your mind, but really Jung did based some of his theories on stuff he learned from astrology...

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
again shit, astrology has been dated back are 2000 years BC ... was principally used then for farming purposes and for understanding the plights of kingdoms... Plato, Atristoltle etc etc all used it

maybe you need to learn a little before disparagment, and no I really can't be arsed trying to get you to open your mind, but really Jung did based some of his theories on stuff he learned from astrology...

Why should I care what people 4000 years ago believed?

The positions of the stars did have some practical purposes. Seasons, navigation, they were useful! But how do giant spheres of nuclear fire in space dictate my behavior when I was born? There's no interaction whatsoever. The only correlations people see are the ones they make up because they're looking for it. (lucky 7s, deaths come in 3s, etc). That's like saying the local baker burnt his first batch that morning, so I must have a fiery, destructive personality.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
FYI - if you have Keirseys book read the section on historic view of temprament types...

Plato (c340Bc)
Used the terms Artisan, Gardian, Idealist, Rationalist

Galen 190AD used the terms
Sanguine, Merlancholic, Choleric, Phelgmatic (all of which are astrology terms, Air, Earth, Fire, and Water)

History re-abled and things come into and out of fashion but the principals remain....

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Not to discredit anything you've said tink, but a lot of religions and practices can be traced back very far; that doesn't necessarily suggest legitimacy.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
We haven't moved on very far in 4000 years - astrology remains, and has had some but not a lot of adaptation

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Not to discredit anything you've said tink, but a lot of religions and practices can be traced back very far; that doesn't necessarily suggest legitimacy.

no problem, I'm not trying to convert you, simply pointing out that it's not based on wooliness, but on data interpretation and MBTI is actually applying astrological principals... LOL which cracks me up....

so I guess it comes down to - do you beleive in MBTI (its less of a streach for you)

Jaguar

Jung did based some of his theories on stuff he learned from astrology...

"My evenings are taken up very largely with astrology.
I make horoscopic calculations in order to find a clue to the psychological truth."
- C.G. Jung (In a letter to Sigmund Freud)

"One can expect with considerable assurance,
that a given well-defined psychological situation will be accompanied by an analogous astrological configuration."
- C.G. Jung

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
The horoscopes I believe are BS, however, it does seem that the few people whose zodiac signs I've know, the descriptions on temperament and personality pretty much reflect well (myself included).