User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTx

More serious opinion, it's all garbage. Someone decided one day that the stars have something to do with how we behave, and bam, the idea stuck around. I mean, the stars were mysterious and all that, so they had to have a higher meaning right?

You may as well try to extract meaning from clouds, dice, tea leaves, rocks, the mood of your cat, whatever gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

MBTI
    ENTP

try astro.com. you can get a very basic computerised interpretation - it's rough I have to say but will give you a taste.. Otherwise you can get a professional to do it, I can recommend a fair few...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    More serious opinion, it's all garbage. Someone decided one day that the stars have something to do with how we behave, and bam, the idea stuck around. I mean, the stars were mysterious and all that, so they had to have a higher meaning right?

You may as well try to extract meaning from clouds, dice, tea leaves, rocks, the mood of your cat, whatever gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.
    again shit, astrology has been dated back are 2000 years BC ... was principally used then for farming purposes and for understanding the plights of kingdoms... Plato, Atristoltle etc etc all used it

maybe you need to learn a little before disparagment, and no I really can't be arsed trying to get you to open your mind, but really Jung did based some of his theories on stuff he learned from astrology...

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    again shit, astrology has been dated back are 2000 years BC ... was principally used then for farming purposes and for understanding the plights of kingdoms... Plato, Atristoltle etc etc all used it

maybe you need to learn a little before disparagment, and no I really can't be arsed trying to get you to open your mind, but really Jung did based some of his theories on stuff he learned from astrology...
    Why should I care what people 4000 years ago believed?

The positions of the stars did have some practical purposes. Seasons, navigation, they were useful! But how do giant spheres of nuclear fire in space dictate my behavior when I was born? There's no interaction whatsoever. The only correlations people see are the ones they make up because they're looking for it. (lucky 7s, deaths come in 3s, etc). That's like saying the local baker burnt his first batch that morning, so I must have a fiery, destructive personality.

MBTI
    ENTP

FYI - if you have Keirseys book read the section on historic view of temprament types...

Plato (c340Bc)
    Used the terms Artisan, Gardian, Idealist, Rationalist

Galen 190AD used the terms
    Sanguine, Merlancholic, Choleric, Phelgmatic (all of which are astrology terms, Air, Earth, Fire, and Water)

History re-abled and things come into and out of fashion but the principals remain....

MBTI
    ISTx

Not to discredit anything you've said tink, but a lot of religions and practices can be traced back very far; that doesn't necessarily suggest legitimacy.

MBTI
    ENTP

We haven't moved on very far in 4000 years - astrology remains, and has had some but not a lot of adaptation

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Not to discredit anything you've said tink, but a lot of religions and practices can be traced back very far; that doesn't necessarily suggest legitimacy.
    no problem, I'm not trying to convert you, simply pointing out that it's not based on wooliness, but on data interpretation and MBTI is actually applying astrological principals... LOL which cracks me up....

so I guess it comes down to - do you beleive in MBTI (its less of a streach for you)

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Jung did based some of his theories on stuff he learned from astrology...

"My evenings are taken up very largely with astrology.
    I make horoscopic calculations in order to find a clue to the psychological truth."
    - C.G. Jung (In a letter to Sigmund Freud)

"One can expect with considerable assurance,
    that a given well-defined psychological situation will be accompanied by an analogous astrological configuration."
    - C.G. Jung

MBTI
    ISTx

The horoscopes I believe are BS, however, it does seem that the few people whose zodiac signs I've know, the descriptions on temperament and personality pretty much reflect well (myself included).