User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    No, I understand. I'm talking Sun sign though. So you're saying someone on the cusp is either one or the other?

YES absolutely

It can be checked using a programme like astro.com or looking it up in an ephemeris..

There are two interesting phenomena.

One is that no astronomer in the entire world believes in astrology.

And the second is that at the back of every women's magazine is a section devoted to astrology.

What could this possibly mean?

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

And the second is that at the back of every women's magazine is a section devoted to astrology.

Girls just wanna have fun?

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Girls just wanna have fun?
    "Girls just wanna have fun?".

What about women? Do women just wanna have fun?

C'mon, women read women's magazines for diets that make you fat, for make-up and fashion that mimic arousal, for astrology that is a confidence trick, and all sold with a celebrity on the cover.

Hey, "girls just wanna have fun", 'cause they are emotionally and financially dependent.

You know, girls grow up into women. Girls grow up into independent women. Girls grow up to be emotionally and financially independent.

To refer to women as girls is to infantilize them. To refer to women as girls is to keep them as children - to keep them emotionally and financially dependent.

To refer to women as girls is confidence trick just like astrology, for women are not girls any more than men are boys.

We all know that to call a black man, "boy", is an insult. So to call a woman, "girl", is equally an insult.

But you have made it abundantly clear that you want to be seen as a girl, when in fact you are a woman. Why is that?

Surely you are not trying to pull a confidence trick.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    How is it that my birth month indicates what kind of personality I have?
    I've actually entertained the notion that perhaps we are subconsciously affected by what we're exposed to at very early stages (perhaps even prenatal) of development. (Seasons, Holidays[though this wouldn't really work because it varies with culture, the way people around you act[S.A.D.]) But I just kind of dismissed that when I sort of "dropped" astrology, now it's just something that I think is interesting.

I am a Virgo, but don't really relate to the characteristics... When I tried looking into my natal chart, and it was pretty much so open that it could have meant anything.

I used to be really into astrology, it was like how MBTI is for me today. It gave me a name for things. "This person is like a Pisces." is now "This person is an INFP." (Now I'm looking for something "better" than MBTI, but I don't know if I'll find it...)

MBTI
    ENTP

Actually it's not completely true that there is no astronomers who beleive astrology, but you'd be talking 1:1000 and lets face it there isn't that many astronomers.

As for womens magazines... yes they are in their, but they are also in popular press. People like it... they don't take it seriously perhaps. There is more words written about astrology ina given year than any other subject (because it had a regular slot in most papers/mag). It's like sayign why do you like cartoons.

As for calling women girls and men boys, it's the venacular - deal with it. It may be politically incorect but its a frame of reference that is used.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
    I've actually entertained the notion that perhaps we are subconsciously affected by what we're exposed to at very early stages (perhaps even prenatal) of development.
    Hi

I beleive there was a very old school of thought along those lines (plato or one of those), who beleive that when we are in the womb we know everything in life that we will ever know, and at the oment of birth we forget it all. We spend out life trying to relearn eveything we knew in the womb...

Not sure what good that does anyone but it is iteresting..

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Actually it's not completely true that there is no astronomers who beleive astrology, but you'd be talking 1:1000 and lets face it there isn't that many astronomers.

As for womens magazines... yes they are in their, but they are also in popular press. People like it... they don't take it seriously perhaps. There is more words written about astrology ina given year than any other subject (because it had a regular slot in most papers/mag). It's like sayign why do you like cartoons.

As for calling women girls and men boys, it's the venacular - deal with it. It may be politically incorect but its a frame of reference that is used.
    In fact there is not one qualified astronomer in the world that believes in astrology. If you think you know one, give me their name and I will ring them and ask them and relay their answer back to you.

Astrology preys upon the ignorant, the vulnerable and the gullible. Astrology is a confidence trick. It is a deception.

It is simply wrong to deceive the ignorant and the gullible.

The right thing to do is to tell the truth and say that astrology has no truth value at all. It is simply a deception and a self deception.

If we continue to deceive ourselves and others the price we pay is trust.

But that is what astrology does - it preys upon the gullibility of the trusting.

And once you do that, you abandon common decency, even in the very language you use.

MBTI
    ENTP

In fact there is not one qualified astronomer in the world that believes in astrology. If you think you know one, give me their name and I will ring them and ask them and relay their answer back to you.

Astrology preys upon the ignorant, the vulnerable and the gullible. Astrology is a confidence trick. It is a deception.

It is simply wrong to deceive the ignorant and the gullible.

The right thing to do is to tell the truth and say that astrology has no truth value at all. It is simply a deception and a self deception.

If we continue to deceive ourselves and others the price we pay is trust.

But that is what astrology does - it preys upon the gullibility of the trusting.

And once you do that, you abandon common decency, even in the very language you use.

Your mixing up astrology with less structured methods, which is a typical ignoran rank about astrology. Astrology is based on data anlytics... period...

In order to con people you've need to make stuff up and a good astrologer simply applies stock definitons of 5 variables to each chart. There is a scope that each of the 5 variables can be and that is the interpretation part... can that interpresation be wrong, yes, of course, but then all prediction techneques are prone to error. So long as the astrologer uses typical references and aknowledges where they have made any leaps - there is no deception in it. There are two universities in th UK that have had MA/PHD options which included studying astrology on their cariculum.

I am telling the truth and I'm 100% sure I know more about the subject than you do... now you tell the truth and admit you know very little about the subject?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Your mixing up astrology with less structured methods, which is a typical ignoran rank about astrology. Astrology is based on data anlytics... period...

In order to con people you've need to make stuff up and a good astrologer simply applies stock definitons of 5 variables to each chart. There is a scope that each of the 5 variables can be and that is the interpretation part... can that interpresation be wrong, yes, of course, but then all prediction techneques are prone to error. So long as the astrologer uses typical references and aknowledges where they have made any leaps - there is no deception in it. There are two universities in th UK that have had MA/PHD options which included studying astrology on their cariculum.

I am telling the truth and I'm 100% sure I know more about the subject than you do... now you tell the truth and admit you know very little about the subject?
    Astrology is simply a lie. You can confirm this for yourself by ringing the Astronomy Department of the Australian National University. And an astronomer will tell you exactly and precisely why it is is lie.

For heaven's sake, astronomers spend their lives studying the stars. Don't you think that if there was any truth in astrology, they would tell us?

But be warned, if you do ask an astronomer if there is any truth in astrology, they will simply laugh at you.