User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 27

  1. #1
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default Christianity and eating meat

    Eatting meat is one of the issues I have trouble figuring out how it's possible to be compatible. Just understanding a basic idea of compassion and love, it just doesn't really connect with the idea of harming something intentionally. Sometimes I hear some talk about how the 10 commandment only refers to "Thou shall not murder" but that doesn't really explain how killing/intentional harm is compatible with all of this.

    Considering that I have friends that are christians and am interested in hearing different religious perspectives. I'm honestly wondering how people especially christians usually deal with the problem?

    Any simple ideas/reasoning would be appreciated. It doesn't need to be a complicated answer.

  2. #2
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    You want a basic topical Bible study on eating meat? I can do that, but I'm too lazy to unless that's what you're looking for.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  3. #3
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Well since most people the world over, including many religions, don't consider eating meat murder it's not strange that there are religions that don't consider it murder.

  4. #4
    Senior Member TopherRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx
    Posts
    1,273

    Default

    Human beings have always been held in higher reguard in the Bible than animals have. We were created in God's image, the animals weren't.
    Love is the point.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    People were considered carnivores, and animals that we raise as food are thought of as food. I know it's hard to wrap your head around, but that's basically it. So there's no sin in killing your food before you eat it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    What is inconsistent about eating meat and having love? There is no requirement to love everything in sight.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post
    Human beings have always been held in higher reguard in the Bible than animals have. We were created in God's image, the animals weren't.
    So...
    Compassion and love doesn't extend to all living creatures? Even if humans have being held in higher regards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    What is inconsistent about eating meat and having love? There is no requirement to love everything in sight.
    If I intentionally harm somebody, am I engaging in a loving action? Considering a lot of people believe that God is about love, it seems odd to suggest that it's fine to intentional harm a life even if it's viewed in a lower regard than human life.

    But I suppose it'd make sense that one can eat meat if the bolded part is true. It doesn't really fit with my perception of christianity, that's all I can say.

  8. #8
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Hmm. I'm just interested in some basic reasoning on how people manage to make the two positions compatible.

    Harming animals can be compatible with being compassionate.
    From a Biblical perspective, after the flood, God gave certain animals to humanity as food. He admonishes people to be considerate in their care for their animals and the laws of slaughter were made to cause the animal as little pain as possible when they are killed and to be as clean as possible as food.

    As has already been mentioned, animals are not thought of as having souls in the same way people are, so it is not considered murder to kill them.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  9. #9
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Let me pull out Genesis for you.

    It says

    Genesis 1:29-30

    God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the Earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food. And to every beast of the Earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the Earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food. "

    But I know this only partially answers your question.

    Furthermore, this could be used to justify whether or not it is unholy to use Marijuana.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred
    People were considered carnivores, and animals that we raise as food are thought of as food. I know it's hard to wrap your head around, but that's basically it. So there's no sin in killing your food before you eat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    From a Biblical perspective, after the flood, God gave certain animals to humanity as food. He admonishes people to be considerate in their care for their animals and the laws of slaughter were made to cause the animal as little pain as possible when they are killed and to be as clean as possible as food.

    As has already been mentioned, animals are not thought of as having souls in the same way people are, so it is not considered murder to kill them.
    Hm. So in some ways animals would be seen in the same light as that of a plant, except it moves more. I can accept that line of reasoning.

    Still it seems odd that we deem animals as living creatures opposed to plants. What about the idea that animals can experience pain, what is the perception of this within public?

    The pain being induced would surely be associated with intentional harm, wouldn't it? It doesn't really seem to connect with the idea of being shepards of the world. Perhaps a distinction is being made between harming the soul, and harming a souless object like nature.

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Let me pull out Genesis for you.

    It says

    Genesis 1:29-30

    God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the Earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food. And to every beast of the Earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the Earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food. "

    But I know this only partially answers your question.

    Furthermore, this could be used to justify whether or not it is unholy to use Marijuana.
    Wait a second. Am I reading that wrong or is that a quote in favour of the idea of people eatting plants... I suppose that part before it was refering to animals though.

Similar Threads

  1. Daily prayers in Judaism, Christianity and Islam
    By Mustafa in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-02-2016, 10:30 PM
  2. Inside the cat and dog meat market in China
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-01-2015, 03:30 PM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 03:17 PM
  4. MBTI and eating disorders
    By Kaveri in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 09:32 AM
  5. Conservative Christians and Global Warming
    By Thalassa in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 09:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO