123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Default What's Wrong About Religion?

I'd like to know. Really. This is absolutely driving me insane.

So an ordinary person decides to believe that someone or something created the world greater than themself. They then proceed to worship said deity out of thankfulness, and hope in return that they will receive their creator's blessing. They hope to live a life that will best exemplify the good traits of the human being, and believe they can overcome the bad traits.

When they are hurt, they believe all isn't lost. When someone dies, they believe they are in a better place. When someone commits a wrong, they can be forgiven.

It's a healthy thing, when utilized correctly. It's something to fall back on when the rational mode of life can't help you.

Is that truly a terrible thing to have? I know it can promote ignorance, but that's the fault of the individual practicing the faith, not the faith itself. I just want an explanation. Thank you.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

Phantonym

I've always thought that people can believe in whatever they want to believe in as long as they don't hurt themselves or others around them and don't try to force their beliefs on others.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

it incentives disregarding reality and not thinking through moral stances. it's possible to be religious and good, but it's just as hard if not harder than being atheistic and good IMO.

morals should be tailored to situations; there's no greater moral code.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

There's nothing wrong with RELIGION, there's something seriously wrong with RELIGIONS.

The S makes all the difference; religion in general is fine. Belief is good and healthy, in one form or another.

When yeu turn it from being a concept into an organization though, problems begin to arise.

Having a belief in something that yeu feel to be true is fine, there's nothing wrong with it at all. When yeu have a large group of people who believe in something that is completely without any tangible proof, and yet they so strongly believe irrefutably that they are absolutely right, to the point that they feel it is their duty to insist on pressuring anyone else nearby to force their belief upon those "foolish enough to not realize the error of their ways", then yeu get stuck with a real mess.

The person's belief is fine. The organization which imposes its' belief upon others is not.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Is this in relation to all the critical amount of threads being posted by seeming rationalists here nowadays? sigh.

... i know for me, what you describe is positive. Unfortunately, in the current USA political climate, religion seems to be more about creating laws to impose on people's behavior than the attitudes you describe. This probably contributes to the negativity. Just saying, "It's not religion's fault, it's the followers," isn't going to buy any faith a free pass.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
    I'd like to know. Really. This is absolutely driving me insane.

So an ordinary person decides to believe that someone or something created the world greater than themself. They then proceed to worship said deity out of thankfulness, and hope in return that they will receive their creator's blessing. They hope to live a life that will best exemplify the good traits of the human being, and believe they can overcome the bad traits.

When they are hurt, they believe all isn't lost. When someone dies, they believe they are in a better place. When someone commits a wrong, they can be forgiven.

It's a healthy thing, when utilized correctly. It's something fall back on when the rational mode of life can't help you.

Is that truly a terrible thing to have? I know it can promote ignorance, but that's the fault of the individual practicing the faith, not the faith itself. I just want an explanation. Thank you.
    hat's a great definition of religion. But no religion works like that. No religion. For example; the religion you think you are defining the closest is Christianity, but Christianity is not at all the way you describe it, a better definition would be:

It isn't about the fact that God created the world. But that he created the rules that govern this world, and that in order to understand these rules which are beyond human understanding; faith and acceptance in God is required.

There is no blessing; just a closeness or nearness to God (his essence) and the natural abilities developing out of this closeness are good emotions, good intuition, a sense of peace, an ability to manoeuvre to live in ways that are not normally apparent, because God as creator is the path, by having created the essence of live.

Religion is not a particular there for it depends on the religion. Christianity being peaceful Islam being violent etc.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I had a post here and then I deleted it because I realized it was in the wrong thread. Oops.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Thanks for all the replies here so far, it's really helpful. And I do agree with the idea that a structure itself is always inherently flawed; for example I'm Catholic but I'm not naive enough to think our system is always peachy keen fantastic. Katsuni made a fabulous point on that.

Unfortunately, in the current USA political climate, religion seems to be more about creating laws to impose on people's behavior than the attitudes you describe.
    Mm...this is true, I guess. Good point, Jennifer. I think I was lucky enough to be raised differently...I didn't start noticing that until I began being around people of that mindset in high school. I was terribly naive about the political atmosphere spawned from religious zealots. ^^;

That's a great definition of religion. But no religion works like that. No religion. For example; the religion you think you are defining the closest is Christianity, but Christianity is not at all the way you describe it, a better definition would be:

It isn't about the fact that God created the world. But that he created the rules that govern this world, and that in order to understand these rules which are beyond human understanding; faith and acceptance in God is required.

There is no blessing; just a closeness or nearness to God (his essence) and the natural abilities developing out of this closeness are good emotions, good intuition, a sense of peace, an ability to manoeuvre to live in ways that are not normally apparent, because God as creator is the path, by having created the essence of live.
    That's awfully sad. But I can see the truth in that, too. Maybe that's what makes it sad. Then again...there were no real rules in the beginning (of the Old Testament), just blind faith. Well, unless you factor in Adam and Eve and apple, but that's mostly myth. The rules (from my understanding) came from people's insistence on going their own way regardless of the implications of their actions. And actually, at one point, people asked for guidance and God gave the Ten Commandments in answer. Leviticus is where God got snippy and was like, "Screw you gaiz for ignoring me, I'm going to give you crap rules as your punishment." Mm, I suppose that gives you some leverage as well, tho, since any creator bestowing rules does in fact suggest a following of them. I guess I figure it's alright because we owe it, really. Kind of a sign of respect, if you will.

I really do appreciate these replies, and I think it's clearing things up for me a bit. And sorry if the OP was a bit frustrated...I'm not good about disguising that stuff, my bad.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

It's fine to be concerned and confused, it happens, especially when it seems like the whole world is against yeu for some reason and yeu just don't know WHY.

All the "zomg religion sucks!" posts lately kind of give a bad impression to be honest. Those who forcefully believe that religion by default is ridiculous or insane, truly aren't understanding enough to know that they're no better themselves for completely outright rejecting such without any careful thought either.

Also, yeu might want to just ignore Lectivus in general, the whole chapter's pretty much total crap. It's a bunch of whiney pissy rules that look and sound an awful lot like they were forcefully added because of some priest's opinion at the time, not because it was really the word of god or anything. Seriously, it's the ONLY place in the whole bible that mentions anything about gays, shellfish, fungus and a bunch of other random crap which has absolutely no relevance on the rest of the book. Where'd the whole "peace and tollerance" thing go?

In any case, religion isn't bad as I've stated... yeur beliefs are fine, especially if yeu use a little common sense. The biggest problems are when yeu automatically assume that yeu are 100% correct despite having no proof of such, or much proof to the contrary, and then proceeding to insist on forcing yeur own beliefs on others. As soon as yeu step across that line, yeu've just dipped into the realm of 'evil', because honestly that's all 'wrong' is, is the act of forcing ones' beliefs upon others against their will. I'll go into more detail on that sometime, but not right now.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Fact: Leviticus is about as human as God gets--being pissed off and wanting to slap sense into people. I agree, from my view it's crap, and thank God the New Testament revokes it. Hahaha.

PS: Shellfish is divine.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI: