User Tag List

First 56789 Last

It's more foolish to believe you know the unknown than to know what cannot be known. That's from a poem by Cummings.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Since religion has played a huge part in the vast majority, if not all, of human cultures world-wide since written history began, from a scientific viewpoint it's highly unlikely that religion is "mental illness."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

... And the talk on religion is once again, how our friend (Eck) gets himself publicized.

religion isn't a mental illness but religious belief certainly can be. Religion will be with us until the species dies off (or destroys itself) if not in the form of worshiping God(s), than in the form of worshiping Science(a select few), Virtual Reality(already happening!), Rationalism(300 years and still going) or some other such Idea.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

A mental illness is a delusion not shared by those around you.

While a religious belief is a delusion shared by those around you.

Therefore a religious belief is not a mental illness.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    A mental illness is a delusion not shared by those around you.

While a religious belief is a delusion shared by those around you.

Therefore a religious belief is not a mental illness.
    +1

Loony bins are for a combination of both. People sharing their delusions everywhere!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    +1

Loony bins are for a combination of both. People sharing their delusions everywhere!
    Mental hospitals are to protect the suicidal from themselves, and society from the homicidal.

This thread is an exercise in irony: a bunch of ignorant opinions spouted by arrogant people who imagine that they're smarter than others.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Moreover, I don't see relevance with what religious belief has to do with the whole of things, such as mental illness. I remember a couple of years ago I (incidentally) surfed an anti-Islam forum called Faith Freedom, and I must say - one has to wonder what makes people go to that mediocre way of thinking...

(Using that forum as reference.)

MBTI
    IXFP

Brain Differences Found Between Believers In God And Non-believers
    Compared to non-believers, the religious participants showed significantly less activity in the anterior cingulate cortex (ACC), a portion of the brain that helps modify behavior by signaling when attention and control are needed, usually as a result of some anxiety-producing event like making a mistake. The stronger their religious zeal and the more they believed in God, the less their ACC fired in response to their own errors, and the fewer errors they made.

"You could think of this part of the brain like a cortical alarm bell that rings when an individual has just made a mistake or experiences uncertainty," says lead author Inzlicht, who teaches and conducts research at the University of Toronto Scarborough. "We found that religious people or even people who simply believe in the existence of God show significantly less brain activity in relation to their own errors. They're much less anxious and feel less stressed when they have made an error."
    I wish I could feel less stressed when I make a mistake.

Looking back in history almost all cultures had some sort of belief in god like beings controlling the world around them. I don't think it's a mental illness, but I think that it's possible that we are in the mid-process of evolving and shedding our need to believe in god due to the advancement of technology.

If I was a cave woman I think stress and anxiety would slow me down when it comes to hunting for food. Believing what is happening to me is what God wants will help me be less stressed because it is something that is not in my control. Less feelings of responsibilty.

Now in this modern world people who are more likely to feel anxiety are not dying from hunger as often. Their genes for this certain brain pattern will more likely to be passed down. If it's genetic of course.

Don't take the half assed theory above too seriously. I made it up in like a minute after reading the web article.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

1) Evolution doesn't happen that quickly. People have just formed different opinions and lifestyles based on modern society and scientific beliefs.

2) People are still extremely stressed, and it's affecting their lives. We have something called psychiatry now, and lovely medications to go along with it.

3) I don't see having less anxiety as a bad thing.