User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 36

  1. #1
    Senior Member run's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run
    Posts
    466

    Default When someone refuses logic?

    I have an INFJ friend who claims he's not under the bounds of logic,
    and that he can just believe whatever he wants

    He says some weird stuff, like "maybe the world just poofed into existence out of nowhere", which defies the principle of sufficient reason. And, "I am a moral skeptic, but right now I will pick a side and defend moral relativism" -- If you are a moral skeptic, defend skepticism. And the best of all

    Me: "Those two statements are incompatible."
    Greg: "I can say whatever I want!"

    He didn't argue that they weren't incompatible. He argued that it didn't matter that they were incompatible.

    Problem is, anything I say to show to him that he has to follow logic, also involves logic.

    The thing that worries me is, what if people like him end up with power of some kind?

  2. #2
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    The thing that worries me is, what if people like him end up with power of some kind?
    You think they don't already?!?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  3. #3
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    That's... an interesting take on it. I don't think I've seen anybody who actually admitted to such before.

    Alot of straw fundamentalists basically hold that viewpoint, but that's because they're generally supposed to, as they're being used as a strawman. But they don't outright SAY it.

    For someone to completely reject logic, either they're joking, just don't care anymore, or have completely given up on any desire to even try to make sense and are completely accepting of the fact that they are speaking total nonsense, and it doesn't bother them at all.

    I'm hoping they're joking. Since otherwise they really don't have any restrictions left, as continuity and cause/effect relationships would no longer apply, and in short, they'd have no reason to listen to anyone, or anything, be it reason, common sense, laws, traditions and so on, meaning more or less, they have no morals left and can just "do whotever they want". Which... is... well, dangerous. That would be hazardously insane, and quite easy to slide into criminally insane since they don't view their actions as having any logical reprocussions.

    I can't see that going over well in general if they aren't just being nonsensical for the sake of saying so.

    If they're just going "I'm right because I'm always right and therefore, by circular reasoning, I must be correct", then they're not likely taking themselves seriously. If they truly believe it though yeu may have a major problem on yeur hands.

  4. #4
    meat popsicle r.a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    STFU
    Posts
    496

    Default

    you just don't understand how his worldview works. in the end, nothing of anything matters except for the bigger picture.

    for me, playing both sides is more of a social experiment than a true belief or bias, because none of these details matter in the bigger picture. and that bigger picture has more logic than most people might comprehend, but is almost impossible for me to translate it into something coherent for others. so i believe whatever i want, play sides to get people outside of their comfort level and to learn from human interaction, and know deep down that alot of details that other people strain their brains about really don't mean anything in the end, because all that exists is movement. we are all moving together as one, regardless of many various individual details.

    that might not make sense to 99% of people.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

  5. #5
    Senior Member run's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    For someone to completely reject logic, either they're joking, just don't care anymore, or have completely given up on any desire to even try to make sense and are completely accepting of the fact that they are speaking total nonsense, and it doesn't bother them at all.

    I'm hoping they're joking. Since otherwise they really don't have any restrictions left, as continuity and cause/effect relationships would no longer apply, and in short, they'd have no reason to listen to anyone, or anything, be it reason, common sense, laws, traditions and so on, meaning more or less, they have no morals left and can just "do whotever they want". Which... is... well, dangerous. That would be hazardously insane, and quite easy to slide into criminally insane since they don't view their actions as having any logical reprocussions.

    I can't see that going over well in general if they aren't just being nonsensical for the sake of saying so.

    If they're just going "I'm right because I'm always right and therefore, by circular reasoning, I must be correct", then they're not likely taking themselves seriously. If they truly believe it though yeu may have a major problem on yeur hands.
    Oh he believes in things. He just has no reason. He doesn't see how logic should apply to philosophy, since it's not science and directly observable. All I know to say at this point is "Why shouldn't it?"

    He knows he could be wrong.

  6. #6
    meat popsicle r.a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    STFU
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    The thing that worries me is, what if people like him end up with power of some kind?
    muahahahhahahahhaha!!

    just you wait till i have the worlds armies at my command...
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

  7. #7
    Junior Member aphemix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    The thing that worries me is, what if people like him end up with power of some kind?
    what if the world just poofed into existence out of nowhere?

  8. #8
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    You think they don't already?!?
    no kidding, they already brainwashed supposedly "logical" thinkers into believing this very thing!

    What else is the BIG BANG THEORY? THE UNIVERSE CAME OUT OF NOTHING!

    So who is really illogical, the one saying he's not using logic and saying the universe came from nothing?
    OR the one who claims to be logical and also claims the universe came from nothing?

    Either way it's the same picture, the universe came out of nothing....supposedly.

  9. #9
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    I've got a rather complex solution to that big bang problem of "something from nothing".

    We already know that there's opposing force particles that occur from 'nothing' near the edge of the event horizon of a black hole, these obviously aren't popping into existance from nowheres, and it's unlikely they're being channeled through the black hole itself since they wouldn't be outside of the event horizon if that's the case.

    Therefore, we have to assume that something about the supermassive gravitational pull, or intense radiation, or something is at play there, possibly a number of factors, which's forcing them to occur.

    Since yeu can't affect 'nothing' with anything, that also means that these particles must therefore already exist as well. Just not in a visable or measurable state for some reason.

    My best guess so far is that they exist as a dormant perfectly neutral aspect of each other, for example if we went with string theory, then imagine a string that has absolutely 0 energy, and absolutely no vibration of any sort. It's a theoretical one dimensional object, so it literally would not exist for all intents and purposes unless it somehow gained an energy charge.

    Now if we have two of these next to each other, and yeu make one vibrate, there needs to be an equal and opposite force SOMEWHERES, which likely would be translated into affecting the one directly next to it, making it vibrate in an identical wave, but opposite in the waveform.

    Sooooo if we assume that the entire universe, before the big bang, was just an immense field of these flat strings or particles or whotever yeu want to use, it's not that the universe was 'bunched up into a tiny ball' at all... that density of matter and energy already exists around us at all times right now then, but instead SOMETHING just made a ripple, and that ripple effect bounced off all the others nearby, cascading now that there was finally movement, allowing the others to release pent up non-thermal non-kinetic energy, and it just meant that particular section of the universe all opened up at once.

    With that theory however, there could be a limitless, infinite range of this dormant matter and energy, with vast quantities of energy stored and not in use in any way though, this could very well mean that outside the edge of the universe where the expanding particles have reached, ANOTHER big bang could technically occur, sending waves against the ones that're already being sent out, and who knows wth would happen if those collided.

    In any case, yeu can't "really" make "something out of nothing" in our own understanding of things, but if yeu have enough guitar strings all next to each other, in a tight bundle, and pluck just one of them, it'll push all of them away from each other and cause them all to vibrate while doing it.

    Then we're just stuck with the question of how did a string even get plucked in the first place if time didn't exist, and there was no motion, no way for energy to be released? It couldn't've just happened on its' own >.>

  10. #10
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    well they look at black holes because they "theorize" that it is a mini version of the big bang(if and when it theoretically explodes), this in itself could be a totally wrong assumption, the simple fact is, the big bang theory is just a theory and is not proven with hard facts, hawking radiation is just a theory it's not proven yet either, everything is a huge assumption in big bang theory. Yet they try to tell you it as if it's a fact and you should believe it because it's logical, but no it's not logical it's actually a logical fallacy to assume anything.

    I'm not satisfied with your complex solution either it didn't solve anything for me.

    I mean just take a look at your post and look how many sentences you start with, "my best guess" "if we assume" "we have to assume". Is that logical?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-15-2016, 04:55 AM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 07:15 AM
  3. [SP] How do you react when someone pisses you off?
    By Dali in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 01:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO