ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    And besides, the word is "moot" not "mute."
    Yep, that was the joke...

If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

silence, food

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    I don't bother arguing with fundamentalists of any kind, Christian or otherwise.
    That's how they become fundamentalists, nobody bothers to challenge them
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ENFP

The problem you have here is that religion is not logical and neither does it pretend to be. Faith is a totally illogical concpet because to truely have faith you have to have it without any evidence and even inspite of opposing evidence to truely be able to say that you have it at all. You can discuss spiritual matters in such a way; different languages... one being of the spiritual(French say) and the other being intelectual( Italian for instance) That conversation will never work out!
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Wild horses View Post
    The problem you have here is that religion is not logical and neither does it pretend to be. Faith is a totally illogical concpet because to truely have faith you have to have it without any evidence and even inspite of opposing evidence to truely be able to say that you have it at all. You can discuss spiritual matters in such a way; different languages... one being of the spiritual(French say) and the other being intelectual( Italian for instance) That conversation will never work out!
    The issue is not physics nobel class maths and logics, it's internal congruence.

If somebody tells you 1+1 equals 2, then it's logic
    If a man tells you he loves you, then he's expressing feelings.

Now if somebody tells you he wants you to be happy, then slaps you, then tell its your fault when you didn't do or think anything to provok that. Then it's just not congruent, and that's the issue with religions I know of and cross pathes with in my everyday life.

It's fine not always to go for the logical explanation, but being self contradictory is another thing altogether.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

2 + 2 = 5. Know how?

Doublethink.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by therationaledge View Post
    EDIT: ALso, if a Christian would like to step forward to argue about how Christianity is logical, feel free.
    Firstly, Christianity requires one to believe in an omnipotent being, it requires one to believe in the resurrection of a man who was simultaneously God; here, you must note the word "believe." Jesus talks about faith. Hold this thought in tension while you proceed.

Secondly, Biblical texts and teachings are flooded with references to the importance of each of the realms of life: physical, spiritual, social, and intellectual. You're imposing one of the many types of epistemological criterion into the other realms of life beyond the intellectual, which is an illogical act. You're the one with explaining to do.

Christianity is not logical unless one also nurses their spiritual self, as well as the social and physical selves. Because though the religion holds internal logic it isn't logical unless one values and explores their selves beyond the intellectual. Christians that are Christians on their own volition, or healthy, will have nurtured all of these dimensions of self. Growing in this religion requires one to hold their confusion or disrespect for an aspect of the religion in suspension, until they develop along and understand more of the nuances (whether they understand spiritually, intellectually, socially or physically).

Many great thinkers were Christians; the religion does not exclude those with superior intelligence. It simply excludes those who lack the motive to delve into the faith sufficiently in mostly the spiritual and intellectual realms.

Interesting fact that might help colour your perception of Jesus' teachings on the "turn the other cheek" verses:
    Turning the other cheek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I heard a fucking brilliant argument about the Holy Trinity:

God, like water can exist in different forms to accomplish different purposes. For water, there's solid, liquid, gas - ice, water, and steam, and for God, there's God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

It was really surprising, and well-put. Still didn't make me believe in Christianity though.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Christianity is not logical unless one also nurses their spiritual self, as well as the social and physical selves. Because though the religion holds internal logic it isn't logical unless one values and explores their selves beyond the intellectual.
    See, i don't agree here. I never noticed christianity to have some identifiable internal logic. There's a very clear wall between the teachings and observed behavior and the teachings are often lacking congruence. There's also no clear way to identify which teachings will be used as they appear and which will be considered to be metaphorical.

And last but not least, there's no way to know what principles are used to judge which rule is to be applied and which rule is to be dismissed. Yet, the religion always uses for example, their holy books or some other reposits of the religious teachings AS the moral compass to be used to identify the principles to follow.

This is paradoxical. And absurd.

I just see no way anybody could honestly defend such a cyclic reasoning.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE