Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    I haven't heard of any other religions that made a deliberate point to convert foreigners to their native religion, which is often based on their ancestry. So their "Gods" are their ancestors, but they don't really worship them in the Christian sense most of us today are familiar with. I put it in question form because I wasn't sure if there were other religions outside the Abrahamicsphere that are explicit in converting and assimilating foreigners, they do seem pretty unique in this regard.

I thought the hunter-gatherer scenario was to kill the men and children and poach the women? Know of any good anthropology where I can learn more? Isn't Trivers famous for in/out group dynamics?

Come to think of it, do Jews even actively try to convert and assimilate people into Judaism and regard anyone who doesn't as going to a hell or suffering etc.? Maybe it's just Christianity/Islam.
    They don't go around to convert others, but they call themselves the Chosen people and there are Jewish people living in the United States who are strongly opposed to the current political activities of Jewish Israel upon their Islamic neighbors, so....

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    They don't go around to convert others, but they call themselves the Chosen people and there are Jewish people living in the United States who are strongly opposed to the current political activities of Jewish Israel upon their Islamic neighbors, so....
    Well, Israel is a nation-state so I wouldn't expect Jews to support Israeli policies anymore than my own family supporting say, the policy of the Federal Republic of Germany just because we are ethnic German. I know there have been cases of conversions to Judaism throughout history due to low populations. I just haven't seen or heard of Rabbi's on the street corner preaching the Tora like you do with those hardcore Baptist types.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I said, take charge, to have power over. Not convert.
    Your point is mute.
    Come on now--is it really fair to speak derisively of his point like that, when the point is clearly incapable of even speaking up to defend itself?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTP

I think I misread his post as saying all religions have a doctrine of imperial expansion. Leave me alone meanies, I am drinking beer, which is required of me by Wodan or else I won't get into Valhalla.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Well, Israel is a nation-state so I wouldn't expect Jews to support Israeli policies anymore than my own family supporting say, the policy of the Federal Republic of Germany just because we are ethnic German. I know there have been cases of conversions to Judaism throughout history due to low populations. I just haven't seen or heard of Rabbi's on the street corner preaching the Tora like you do with those hardcore Baptist types.
    My point was that Israel is a fundamentally Jewish country and they're doing things to persecute Arab-Muslim people. So, you see, my point is that intolerance apparently occurs in Judaism just like in Christianity and Islam, and I mentioned that Jews in other countries don't approve of it to illustrate that I'm not just being prejudiced against Israel or Judaism myself. Because I'm not.

Judaism isn't a religion with intense need to convert others, no, but it's got it's dark side, too, believe me.

I don't know if religion in general is ever the problem. The problem seems to come with the way certain individuals or sects practice that religion. For example, I am nothing like those fundamentalist Baptists, just like all Muslim people are not involved in the Taliban.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Come on now--is it really fair to speak derisively of his point like that, when the point is clearly incapable of even speaking up to defend itself?
    And besides, the word is "moot" not "mute."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

And besides, the word is "moot" not "mute."
    Let's hear your french shall we.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Let's hear your french shall we.
    Bonjour, monsieur. Comment-allez vous?

This thread has officially become silly.

MBTI
    INTP

My point was that Israel is a fundamentally Jewish country and they're doing things to persecute Arab-Muslim people. So, you see, my point is that intolerance apparently occurs in Judaism just like in Christianity and Islam, and I mentioned that Jews in other countries don't approve of it to illustrate that I'm not just being prejudiced against Israel or Judaism myself. Because I'm not.

Judaism isn't a religion with intense need to convert others, no, but it's got it's dark side, too, believe me.

I don't know if religion in general is ever the problem. The problem seems to come with the way certain individuals or sects practice that religion. For example, I am nothing like those fundamentalist Baptists, just like all Muslim people are not involved in the Taliban.
    Yes I see your point, my bad. I think it was Dawkins' book "The God Delusion" that mentioned some Christian group in the States that is trying to breed a red cow to bring to Israel or maybe it was in Israel but funded by this group because it justifies some prophecy in the Torah, and Jews find these people suspicious because they act like they really care about them but it's just a means to bring about the end of the world or some crap.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Bonjour, monsieur. Comment-allez vous?

This thread has officially become silly.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE