User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default Stupid Definition of "Open mind"

My christian fundementalist friend says he has an open mind.
    His definition is "He understands that there are different views than his own."
    But also says that no matter what (and keep in mind what that really means) he believes that the bible is 100% right....NO MATTER WHAT.
    Ever get the feeling that if God came down and was like "Yeah, you are all wrong." Some people would argue or just straight out say "YOUR THE DEVIL!"

Basically its accepted (by alot of people, by no means all) that open mindedness is good, and some people are deluding themselves into thinking they are actually being openminded.

Anyone else heard anything like this?
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

"You!"

"Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I think some people may mistake open-mindedness for what is actually just tolerance.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by therationaledge View Post
    Ever get the feeling that if God came down and was like "Yeah, you are all wrong." Some people would argue or just straight out say "YOUR THE DEVIL!"
    Funny, I seem to remember hearing that that actually happened...
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    Funny, I seem to remember hearing that that actually happened...
    Lol.

Its sad. If God did come down and was like "THE BIBLE HAS BEEN TAMPERED WITH!!!!"

Some crazy guy would shoot at him and then show people all the quotes in the bible that show that what he did was right. Then a new sect of abrahamiz religion would be born, and be as ridiculous as teh rest.
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

"You!"

"Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

So babe, clear things up: what's an open mind, pray tell? And is it ever possible for someone of a religious slant to have one?

EDIT: This piqued my interest, so I googled. Dictionaries on the intarwebs saaay:

Adj. 1. open-minded - ready to entertain new ideas; "an open-minded curiosity"; "open-minded impartiality" 2.
    broad-minded - inclined to respect views and beliefs that differ from your own; "a judge who is broad-minded but even-handed"

adj. Receptive to new and different ideas or the opinions of others.

–adjective 1. having or showing a mind receptive to new ideas or arguments.
    2. unprejudiced; unbigoted; impartial.
    From what I see, only the boldened disagrees with your friend being open-minded, as having your own judgment/religion/view makes it impossible to be unbiased. However, even an atheist or agnostic can have the same issue, so that's arguably irrelevant. I'm curious to hear your version of the definition.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Mm it is a bit odd, sadly I know an athiest friend who's the same way. They refuse to believe anything at all, and even if they were to have a great deal of evidence before them, like if they met jesus IN PERSON, they wouldn't accept it.

Personally, I do consider myself a "practicing agnostic", which's the closest that yeu'll see to a truly religious, yet open minded individual. I'll definately go over this in detail at some time, but the short form is:

Anything is possible, we don't know all the rules of physics and the universe, things we can't even dream of may be fully possible, the best we can attempt to do is gain as much information about everything as possible, and go with an educated guess from there, and hope it's right. Any god worth worshipping would understand we did our best, and not hold it against us if we were wrong. If it really comes down to "blind faith" and randomly choosing a religion, of which even say... christianity has thousands of sub-sections to it, and only ONE of those is right (or they may ALL be wrong), and we have NO way of knowing which is right? Then yeah, playing russian roulette with faith is not a way to earn respect, and if it is, then god's a total arse anyway and I'd refuse to worship him on principle.

I could go on but it would end up taking hours to fully explain. In short though, I currently believe a mix of christianity and hinduism's probably the most accurate, but I could be wrong, and as I gain new information, I'll change my mind accordingly. As I can't proove god exists, I can't love something with all my heart that I can't even proove, either god, whotever form he/it/she/whotever takes, or I'm screwed, in which case tough, I did my best, if yeu don't like it, then too bad, yeu didn't deserve any worship in the first place.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Mm it is a bit odd, sadly I know an athiest friend who's the same way. They refuse to believe anything at all, and even if they were to have a great deal of evidence before them, like if they met jesus IN PERSON, they wouldn't accept it.

Personally, I do consider myself a "practicing agnostic", which's the closest that yeu'll see to a truly religious, yet open minded individual. I'll definately go over this in detail at some time, but the short form is:

Anything is possible, we don't know all the rules of physics and the universe, things we can't even dream of may be fully possible, the best we can attempt to do is gain as much information about everything as possible, and go with an educated guess from there, and hope it's right. Any god worth worshipping would understand we did our best, and not hold it against us if we were wrong. If it really comes down to "blind faith" and randomly choosing a religion, of which even say... christianity has thousands of sub-sections to it, and only ONE of those is right (or they may ALL be wrong), and we have NO way of knowing which is right? Then yeah, playing russian roulette with faith is not a way to earn respect, and if it is, then god's a total arse anyway and I'd refuse to worship him on principle.

I could go on but it would end up taking hours to fully explain. In short though, I currently believe a mix of christianity and hinduism's probably the most accurate, but I could be wrong, and as I gain new information, I'll change my mind accordingly. As I can't proove god exists, I can't love something with all my heart that I can't even proove, either god, whotever form he/it/she/whotever takes, or I'm screwed, in which case tough, I did my best, if yeu don't like it, then too bad, yeu didn't deserve any worship in the first place.
    Hmm. Maybe my definition is more like thinking rationally or logically, basically taking in new information.

Like if jesus popped down and all that, id probably rethink a few things lol.

If an alien dropped down and said HE was jesus, id probably rethink a few things.

Id also try to find out if im going schizo

"You!"

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by therationaledge View Post
    Lol.

Its sad. If God did come down and was like "THE BIBLE HAS BEEN TAMPERED WITH!!!!"

Some crazy guy would shoot at him and then show people all the quotes in the bible that show that what he did was right. Then a new sect of abrahamiz religion would be born, and be as ridiculous as teh rest.
    this is all so depressingly true.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I think when you're truly openminded you can never be certain of anything as there will always be new/unknown information to consider, the problem with being completely openminded is you can never make a decision.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ISFP

I'm a Christian and I consider myself open minded. I always listen and process through other people's arguments against Christianity / for their religion. Because I don't want to believe in Christianity just for the sake of believing in Christianity, I want to believe in what's true.
    ~Erinn