User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I have a problem with people trying so hard to make the facts fit their beliefs, as oppossed to changing thier beliefs to fit facts.

For example, through research i dont believe that anyone can believe in the bible as 100% correct AND actually be trying to believe in the truth.
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

"You!"

"Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I think some people may mistake open-mindedness for what is actually just tolerance.
    Hit the nail on the head.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI"]Open Mindedness[/YOUTUBE]
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by therationaledge View Post
    I have a problem with people trying so hard to make the facts fit their beliefs, as oppossed to changing thier beliefs to fit facts.

For example, through research i dont believe that anyone can believe in the bible as 100% correct AND actually be trying to believe in the truth.
    You are right, but I'm tired of hearing people say crap like that and then behave in totally different manners when you present the facts. It's like they logically know that they shouldn't but they can't restrain their minds from functioning in their old ways.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    the problem with being completely openminded is you can never make a decision.
    I think being open-minded allows one the ability to change their decisions, or at least disagree with passed decisions, on the basis of new and improved information. I think decision making is largely inevitable, but being open minded allows people to be less arrogant about their decisions because they are aware that the decisions they make are largely influenced by a limitation in information at the moment in question.

A closed minded person believes: they already know enough
    An open minded person believes: there is always more to know

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    A closed minded person believes: they already know enough
    An open minded person believes: there is always more to know
    Wow, can I steal this? I love it.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI"]Open Mindedness[/YOUTUBE]
    What a great video.

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Can anyone ever be 100% open-minded?

I mean, if you're 100% open-minded, would you not also be open to the idea that being open-minded is a crap way to be, hence you should also be open to being close-minded?

Your friend is probably open-minded about other things. Like whether chocolate is the ultimate icecream flavour. If you put forward a strong argument for banana, he might change his mind. He might be just as open-minded as you are, but the things he's closed on, are the things you're still open on. So it looks as if he's more close-minded.

(PS: I may be assuming that your friend thinks he's generally open-minded, as opposed to open-minded when it comes to religions in particular.)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    Can anyone ever be 100% open-minded?

I mean, if you're 100% open-minded, would you not also be open to the idea that being open-minded is a crap way to be, hence you should also be open to being close-minded?

Your friend is probably open-minded about other things. Like whether chocolate is the ultimate icecream flavour. If you put forward a strong argument for banana, he might change his mind. He might be just as open-minded as you are, but the things he's closed on, are the things you're still open on. So it looks as if he's more close-minded.
    First, I highly recommend you watch the aforementioned video.

1) The goal is not to accept everything as plausible. This is discussed in the video. Accepting blindly without consideration for evidence is idiotic. Taking this into account, show some evidence that being open-mindedness is a crap way to be and perhaps there is reason to allow its plausibility. As perceivable social norms and philosophical speculations go, however, there seems to be a greater case for the positive virtues of open-mindedness weighing over its consequences.

2) Not everything needs to be completely assessed and critiqued for validity. This too is mentioned in the video. However, for the beliefs which are more at the core of one's reasoning and identity, one's philosophy and way of life, it seems very relevant to examine the credibility of statements. Ice cream flavors are like leaves on a giant tree of perspective, while the way we see the world and system of operations through which we make daily decisions is more like the trunk or roots.

One could argue that keeping their perspective is their right to do so, which is true, but when they overstep their personal boundaries into the realm of social reasoning and use words like Open-mindedness so sloppily to accuse those who actually understand and respect the rules of rationality, it is very much offensive. This is the big problem; people who actually play by the rules of reason are cheated on by those who don't, and can't retaliate with reason because it's not compatible with the offender's perspective.

I'll definitely agree that some people can be more open-minded about some things more than others, which is why we can form social groups of people agreeing on something, but don't encompass all humankind. I think the point though, is to have an open-minded approach to issues of all types, including personal ones. Again, this doesn't mean one has to validate others' perspectives, and again, I highly recommend watching the video.

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

I think I added my PS while you were typing.

My point was to show that therationaledge's friend might have been correct in his self-assessment in the general sense, but not when it came to his religious beliefs.

In other words, I was being annoying by nitpicking and being slightly off-topic.

I'm in agreement on points 1 and 2 in your post. It's good to be strategically open-minded.