• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Parenting Philosophies/The Role of Children In Society

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Through the magic of Similar Threads (at the bottom of the page) I found an old thread of mine that is sort of related to this one:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/relationships/5473-good-enough-parenting.html

Wow, you and I sound freakishly alike, and I can relate to your story almost entirely, even down to the age at which I had my first(23). We did the co-sleeping, I did the burnout, the realizing that maybe sole SAHMing wasn't for me afterall(after 3 years and never a babysitter/ or daycare), the extended nursing, the sling,etc....

I don't strive to be good enough, but I have learned that accepting my limits when I'm faced with them is best. Jan Hunt, a child developmental psych asks parents to always remember that their children "are always doing the best they can do" with the emotional resources they are working with in the circumstance that they are in. I have learned to apply this to myself, but always keeping in mind that I have the right and responsibility to continue learning and growing. There are some things that in my mind I have made entirely unacceptable, like hitting or punishment, and I give myself no leeway. Other things, I have let go of, like 100% organic food 100% of the time. <-----Total pain in the arse!

I've read through "Magical Parent-Magical Child", but haven't read any of Pearce's recent books. I'm not a huge fan of Byron Katie, but she really helped bring out my inner SP as far as accepting what is.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My parents are totally different than you! According to my father, the children will never be equals with parents. In a disagreement, there is no negotiation. I don't think I have enough age and experience to give a great opinion of my own here.

Children should be able to look up to parents for teaching and models. They should learn and better themselves and their surroundings.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's a complex network of relationships.

In the large sense, both parents and children are people. The only thing that truly separates my kids from me is the dimension of time. I am twenty years ahead of them in terms of life experience. So if you picked us off the timeline and overlaid us with each other, we'd be the same -- we'd just be people with similar life arcs.

However, with time added as a dimension, I am not the same as my children. They began as part of me, and the 20 or so years it takes them to leave home is a process of me nurturing, guiding, and protecting them so that they can slowly detach from being dependent on me and become independent human beings.... autonomous and self-sustaining. The structure and discipline and guidance I give them now will impact them for the rest of their lives, and I am in a very unique position with those three human beings that I am not with anyone else.

As far as spanking goes, we used it sparingly... mostly when they were too young to communicate intellectually, when no other methods would work, and the price of disobedience could be extremely detrimental to their health. As they aged, corporal punishment ceases to be as effective in terms of raising an autonomous and altruistic adult who can initiate good will towards others, so we promptly reduced and then stopped using it. Our kids are extremely considerate of others for their age -- they are empathetic -- and yet are still exhibiting the freedom and joy of being themselves (usually ineffective parenting destroys one of these potentials), and I think we did the right thing. we weren't perfect parents, no one is, but we stayed on task and had the right priorities, I think.

So kids really should be viewed as people, to sum this up (because they are), and yet the parents need to suck it up and be responsible for guiding/protecting/shaping them until they can finally be autonomous adults. Realistically, kids need encouragement and guidance that they can then pass on to their kids if and when they become parents.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Pretty much with Kyuuei on this one. Spanking doesn't bother me - what might bother me would be the reasons. For children who have difficulty controlling themselves or their emotions (by which I generally mean very young ones) I think spanking can be appropriate and effective in situations where they're putting themselves or others in danger. I would also spank a small child for extreme behaviour not related to personal danger (for example I'm thinking of the 2 year old having a 2 hour temper tantrum while mom tries to shop/do errands - the would definitely merit a smack on the ass). Depending on the child (and that's a BIG thing, for me, because all kids are different, and spanking will work better with some and not well at all with others) and the age, I think spanking can be a useful and good thing.

I just don't see spanking as incompatible with respect for a child.

I believe parents are capable of acting out of anger and would hope that I have the emotional balls to apologize and cop to wrongdoing on my own part when this happens. Whether it's spanking, yelling, or anything that was more about me being pissed off and emotional than about the kid acting out. No parent is going to live up to this ideal 100% of the time, but I intend to try. I think it's healthy for children to see that they're parents are fallible, capable of making mistakes, and then capable of taking responsibility and apologising.

As to the 'purpose' of children, I guess I think there are many. The main one is to grow into a competent and content adult, though. To that end, I believe in plenty of unscheduled time, esp. with siblings and other children, just to play those games little kids do, and I also believe in a set of clear boundaries. A safe space to grow up in - safe emotional/mental space. I also know I have an overprotective streak that borders on neurotic and forcing myself to allow my children to do things for themselves and by themselves is going to be something I'm going to need help and support doing. Possibly a husband holding me down on the couch and repeating something like "CALM DOWN IT IS VERY UNLIKELY A TREE IS GOING TO FALL ON JIMMY AND KILL HIM WHILE HE PLAYS IN THE WOODS". :D

One other thing I think I would like to do is have high expectations for my children. I want them to believe they *can* do it, that they can do the right thing, act responsibly. Of course I know they won't always, but the expectation is, imo, a good thing. Failing to meet the expectation would be met with talk rather than shaming, in most instances.

So, in short, strong, clear boundaries, real and consistent consequences if they're violated, high expectations, parental admission of fallibility and space for kids to be kids and not small, overscheduled adults.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I just don't see spanking as incompatible with respect for a child.

I believe parents are capable of acting out of anger and would hope that I have the emotional balls to apologize and cop to wrongdoing on my own part when this happens. Whether it's spanking, yelling, or anything that was more about me being pissed off and emotional than about the kid acting out. No parent is going to live up to this ideal 100% of the time, but I intend to try. I think it's healthy for children to see that they're parents are fallible, capable of making mistakes, and then capable of taking responsibility and apologising.

Apologizing for wrong doing, yes, and in all relationships we make mistakes. That is so true. But I fail to see how hitting another person, particularly a person smaller/weaker and with less understanding, falls into the realm of respect/teaching or even discipline.

Further, I think that sometimes people fail to recognize how vulnerable children are to abuse and mistreatment(even if they themselves were abused or mistreated in childhood).

Of all children murdered under the age of 5 between 1975 and 2005, 61% were killed by either their mothers or fathers, with homicide being one of the leading causes of death in preschoolers today. It's all very sad. When you add in the fact that 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 5 boys is molested in childhood(with 80%+ of the perps being blood relatives or "friends of the family") I see a rare benefit in teaching children to "respect adults" on principle. In fact, I think the whole concept is dangerous, and works to protect sick adults who use their age or status as a means of protection. Child molesters have a less than 5% chance of ever being caught, from what I understand, and it's often because "no one would have suspected a "great father" or "wonderful priest" or "grown adult" to act in such and such a way.

I have told ours that no one, and I mean no one, has a right to touch your body for any reason at all that you don't warrant or that we as parents aren't there to witness and approve. We've never allowed people to pat them on the butt in gest(it seems lots of people do this to kids), or "tickle" them all over. Another reason we never spanked was because we wanted them to realize that only they have certain rights to their bodies. Our culture has one of the highest rates of infanticide, and child abuse. I truly wish we were a "hands to ourselves" culture.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm not against spanking (smacking) entirely but I do think a lot of it is done for the benefit (release) of the parent than the child, and that reason is very wrong.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
But I fail to see how hitting another person, particularly a person smaller/weaker and with less understanding, falls into the realm of respect/teaching or even discipline.

I respect this opinion, but I don't share it. Children, to me, are not adults. They do not have the same rights or responsibilities. Also, spanking to me is about an instantaneous message, a snapping-out-of-it, as it were. It isn't something that would be (coming from me) intended to leave marks, I am not talking about beating a child with a wooden spoon or punching them etc. Generally, a well-placed, stinging smack on the ass is what I'm talking about.

It's also very important to me to emphasize, again, that I think spanking is not appropriate in situations where it's coming from the parent's anger. Spanking as well as yelling, screaming, any punishment of the kid, really. That *is*, imo, bullying. Again, all parents are going to make mistakes, but it is very important to me that I apologise in these instances. The kid, too, will be expected to apologize, once old enough to understand the concept, for losing their shit.

Another point that's important to me is the kid's individual temperament. I worked for 5+ years as a nanny, mostly in London, and it was an education to see how different small kids can be - just as different as adults. Certain children will never do anything to warrant a spanking. A stern word is enough to get the message across to these kids. And spanking could definitely have adverse affects on these sensitive souls. I want to respect that - to respect the child as an individual. There are, however, also children who basically don't get it if you try to use words, no matter how long or how many you try. If I'm ever in a situation with, for example, a 3 yr old who has been repeatedly asked to stop doing something potentially hurtful to themselves or someone else, and said kid is showing absolutely no signs of listening, I would spank. No time out, no pleading, no negotiating. I tend not to be someone who negotiates will small, out of control kids.

Mole

Permabanned
Violence against children translates in later life to violence against adults.

Mole

Permabanned
How long would you estimate that takes to kick in?

I don't think this is a quantitative question.

And of course many childhood victims of violence do not become perpetrators of violence as adults.

It does seem though that mob psychology does enable those predisposed to violence.

We can see that here on this site where mob psychology has led to threats of violence.

So it seems we learn the lineaments of violence as children which can be given an adult face by mob psychology.

"The Mass Psychology of Fascism", by Wilhelm Reich describes the relationship between the psychology of the mob and violence.

sculpting

Another point that's important to me is the kid's individual temperament. I worked for 5+ years as a nanny, mostly in London, and it was an education to see how different small kids can be - just as different as adults. Certain children will never do anything to warrant a spanking. A stern word is enough to get the message across to these kids. And spanking could definitely have adverse affects on these sensitive souls. I want to respect that - to respect the child as an individual. There are, however, also children who basically don't get it if you try to use words, no matter how long or how many you try. If I'm ever in a situation with, for example, a 3 yr old who has been repeatedly asked to stop doing something potentially hurtful to themselves or someone else, and said kid is showing absolutely no signs of listening, I would spank. No time out, no pleading, no negotiating. I tend not to be someone who negotiates will small, out of control kids.

i agree about temperment. With my older son-the 13 yo enfp, spanking was useless. He would actually throw horrific tantrums an dspanking made no difference. He was kicked out of three daycares as he could not handle emotional overload or structure well and would just break down. We were so happy to go to kindergarden as at least they could not kick him out for good. We saw child psychologists, conseleors and spent a lot of time trying to figure out what we fucked up. In first grade he was put on ritalin, and he could control the emo overload then. We took him off in sixth grade and now at 13, you can distinctly see the hyperactivity and emotional issues going away altogether. He is actually a really awesome, if scatter brained kid. In retrospect I would say he couldnt handle the Fi well and would resort to Te to lash out, however it was so poorly developed, it just resulted in meltdowns and eventual emo sobbing breakdowns.

Now the toddler is totally different. He is a little IXTJ. A smack on his little butt works wonders. He is a bull headed little obstinant creature and will look you straight in the eye and willfully disobey. 90% of the time he listens well and you can even rationalize with him, but that last ten percent-no way, he is on a mission to prove his point. A strategic pop her and there works very well.

Today we asked him to throw a peice of paper in the trash. NO he said. This lasted for five minutes. Then, being funny, I picked him up, put the paper in his hand and took him to the trash can. I used his hand to throw the paper into the trash. He went insane and started sobbing hysterically. He was SO upset by this. He ran to the trash, picked out the paper and thrw it onto the floor, sobbing the whole time, visibly shaken. The he sobbed in me and dads arms for five minutes. He is a very tough kid, so I felt terrible, as I didnt realize how this would mess with his world.

and yup, you guys will say they dont develop tert functions till the twenties. I disagree. They are there, just really not formed well-very subconscious perhaps? For the todd, you could see the Fi kick in at about 19 months.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Violence against children translates in later life to violence against adults.

I don't think that's always true. What if childhood violence made a kid depressed and hurtful towards himself?

Besides, childhood fragility is a myth.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Now the toddler is totally different. He is a little IXTJ. A smack on his little butt works wonders. He is a bull headed little obstinant creature and will look you straight in the eye and willfully disobey. 90% of the time he listens well and you can even rationalize with him, but that last ten percent-no way, he is on a mission to prove his point. A strategic pop her and there works very well.
Sounds so much like my oldest daughter.

When we had our younger daughter, I had to relearn everything because she's an IXSP. If I speak to my older daughter the way I speak to my younger daughter, she'd think I was incapable of getting to the point. If I speak to my younger daughter the way I speak to my older daughter, she would think I was being rude.

Now at 16 and 14, they are both respectful, but opinionated and still just as different as night and day. Except that they are both smart and love anime. I'm glad they have that much in common.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I respect this opinion, but I don't share it. Children, to me, are not adults. They do not have the same rights or responsibilities.

If I'm ever in a situation with, for example, a 3 yr old who has been repeatedly asked to stop doing something potentially hurtful to themselves or someone else, and said kid is showing absolutely no signs of listening, I would spank. No time out, no pleading, no negotiating. I tend not to be someone who negotiates will small, out of control kids.

I totally agree that children are not adults. They are more like newcomers to a strange and foreign land where the language, the people, the topography, and the customs are all new. What's the value in smacking a person around who doesn't understand you or your reasons?

When does a person earn the rights to their body? That is, to not have others inflict unnecessary pain or discomfort upon them against their will?

I don't think that's always true. What if childhood violence made a kid depressed and hurtful towards himself?

Besides, childhood fragility is a myth.

Many child psychologist do not agree that it is a myth, but simply that the damage goes underground(into the unconscious) only to later come out in the disturbed person that is the adult. Also, how is the presumed resiliency of the child a reason to intentionally cause them pain on account of their being smaller?

"The Mass Psychology of Fascism", by Wilhelm Reich describes the relationship between the psychology of the mob and violence.

+1 And Alice Miller has dug very deeply into the topics of mob violence and violence in general, and childhood shame, punishment, and spanking. Alice Miller: The Roots of Violence - The Natural Child Project

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I was spanked as a child. Got grounded for over a year once (sadly it was probably earned, I'd rather not go into details XD ), and so on.

To be brutally honest though, I know I wouldn't've been nearly as well adjusted as I became without it either. It sucked at the time, and instilled a great deal of pure fear... but it worked. I really don't think I had much in the way of true reasoning capacity until I was about 12-14 or so, when it seemed to start showing up, I could 'think' but not in nearly the same fashion I do now. The idea of thinking things out long term and anticipating how things would react was pretty much 100% beyond me, I lived in the moment with no thought for whot would happen until after the fact. Drop in a short attention span and poor memory, and I'd often make the same mistakes repeatedly.

Adding a sense of physical fear helped the memory latch onto things that were BAD, and slowly conditioned towards actually trying to avoid it in the first place, encouraging more actual forethought in the process.

This's eventually evolved over time into the fact that I now try to avoid ever repeating a mistake I've made, and attempt to learn from other's mistakes so I don't suffer the same fate of wasted time, energy, and possible other unfortunate complications as well.

This brings me to the problem I have with the "zomg don't spank kids >=O " the concept is great... in theory. But the theory relies heavily upon flawed assumptions, primarily that children process information in exactly the same way adults do. Very often they don't understand things the way we do in the slightest... and trying to explain that the stove is hot and dangerous can be painfully difficult to do, or to not play in the street. Having an element of fear that they RECOGNIZE can get the message across much faster. Saying yeu "might get hurt or killed" by playing in the road isn't something that all children will neccesarily believe or take to heart... saying "I'm going to spank yeu if I see yeu out there one more time >=O " and showing obvious anger over their action can instill enough DIRECT fear of doing so that they won't do it anymore. Indirect fear often just doesn't have nearly the same effect as they may not understand it in the same way. Sure, these days I may be horrified at the idea of disappointing someone I hold great respect for, but when I was say... 6? Pft if I got grounded to my room for a week it was far preferable to getting spanked, even if it was a much longer duration. Common sense NOW says that a short displeasure would be better than a long one, but I didn't think that way back then at all.

It depends on how the child thinks and reacts though, if they don't seem capable of grasping explaining things carefully, then fear may be the next best option, as it has an immediate and lasting effect, and can be far more readily understood even at an early age.

There's alot of parents who won't even attempt to discipline their children in any way... I think we've all seen the brat in the store screaming at one point or another, while the parent just stands by and asks them politely to stop, treating them as if they were an adult and thinking reason works just fine with them. It doesn't always work... some children it WILL work on, and for those situations it's great! The ones where it doesn't... well there's a simple quote that works quite well, being that only an idiot would keep performing the same action repeatedly, and expect a different reaction every time. If it doesn't work, yeu may be required to resort to force, as much as yeu may not want to. If it's the only way to get the message across, then it has to be done.

Obviously I'm not saying to jump right at the whole spanking first thing, but once yeu've exhausted other alternatives, then don't be scared to. It *CAN* be taken to abusive levels (practically whipping in some cases...) at times, but it doesn't mean that by default it's especially abusive. Of course, on adults it would be by default, since they can think for themselves, and beating them doesn't teach them anything that yeu couldn't teach with discussion.

The problem is that children are NOT adults, they are not just "little versions of ourselves". They think quite differently, and act differently. They don't have the same inhibitions, nor the same fears, or level of understanding. If I were to run down the middle of the street in the nude, the police would be after me in no time. (please don't imagine that XD ) but a little kid may often do so without even a second thought, especially on a hot summer day if there's sprinklers out in the yards. Obviously the mindset's different, and the capacity to understand social rules is not the same at all.

But once again, I stress not to jump to spanking as the first thing to do every time... it has its' uses as a tool, but it has alot of risks associated with it as well. It does work well as a last ditch effort for a child who won't see reason otherwise. They're not reasonable creatures for the most part, despite that they do have the capacity for a degree of reason, it's just not nearly on the same level until later in life. Brain development plays a major role.

Obviously, spanking a teenager really just doesn't work the same way as it does a 5 year old, as they view things significantly differently. The message would seriously not get across at all. So at some point, the need for it, even in exceptional cases, will be diminished to the point of disuse, in favour of other forms of 'behavioural encouragement'.

The best option is to provide both a positive and negative reinforcement at the same time; punish when something's done wrong, provide rewards for when things are done right. If it's one sided, it's not nearly as effective. ESPECIALLY if yeu ONLY punish when something's done wrong, and don't provide warning or explaination in advance... then yeu're just stuck with a child who doesn't know whot to expect, they can become withdrawn and scared to do much of anything as punishment appears to be random without consistant application. Of course just heaping on praise and rewards at every opportunity, even if one does something wrong then something right after, need to explain whot it's for and make sure they understand. If they don't know WHY they're in trouble, they'll never learn the lesson. I'd had more than one occasion where I was spanked/grounded/etc for "think about whot yeu've done!" and I honestly DIDN'T KNOW. That just breeds confusion and doesn't do anything useful at all. It has to be clear and obvious cause and effect to make sense, just 'assumming' they know because yeu do as the parent is silly, because yeu have a much better idea of how to process information, and yeu actually KNOW whot upset yeu, they may not, and if yeu leave it to them to guess, they may guess wrong, and still do the same error again without understanding, or they may just start to hate yeu because they have no clue why they keep getting in trouble seemingly at random.

In any case, tools are useful... if used right. Make sure to increase yeur toolset, leading by example, discussion before things become a problem, that kind of thing, are also highly useful. If yeu only have one tool (spanking), then everything will be treated in respect to it (if all yeu have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail).

Of course this topic's waaaay past the original message now, but I don't want to miss my chance to put my two cents in XD

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
I was spanked as a child. Got grounded for over a year once (sadly it was probably earned, I'd rather not go into details XD ), and so on.

To be brutally honest though, I know I wouldn't've been nearly as well adjusted as I became without it either.

I used to think the same, but now I realize that what I believed to be my assessment was largely based on my socialization(and was almost entirely the message that was being passed through my family for generations), and also upon hearing "This will hurt me more than you", and "I'm doing this for your own good" than anything else.

It sucked at the time, and instilled a great deal of pure fear... but it worked. I really don't think I had much in the way of true reasoning capacity until I was about 12-14 or so, when it seemed to start showing up, I could 'think' but not in nearly the same fashion I do now.

5 year olds have the same capacity for "reasoning" as do adults, but I do agree that the older you get, the greater your ability to draw on past experiences and make more holistic decisions. Many psychologist and educators believe that how well a person reasons is largely dependent on how often they are given the chance. From Daniel Greenberg,:

At around four, people have at their disposal a fully developed sense of how to go about solving problems and how to go about making decisions; they have a sense of what they know and what they don't know, what kind of information they need to solve problems, and when they are out of their depth. This is very hard for people in our culture to believe about children. For some reason, most people think that judgment is developed much later. They aren't able to pinpoint exactly when --some say 13, others 16, others 18, or 21. I do not see any significant change that takes place after age four or so. When I look at a four or five or six year old making decisions, I see all the components of the judgment process that I see in a person aged forty.

Adding a sense of physical fear helped the memory latch onto things that were BAD, and slowly conditioned towards actually trying to avoid it in the first place, encouraging more actual forethought in the process.

I understand parents who spank their children in fear, but I think the issue is more or less a lack of creativity on the parent, and lack of foresight and pre-planning. I have an active little boy. Keeping up with him is pure insanity sometimes. Nonetheless, the only time his has ever been in danger, is because some adult in his life dropped the ball. In this case, imo, someone owes him protection, not pain.

This's eventually evolved over time into the fact that I now try to avoid ever repeating a mistake I've made, and attempt to learn from other's mistakes so I don't suffer the same fate of wasted time, energy, and possible other unfortunate complications as well.

Common sense NOW says that a short displeasure would be better than a long one, but I didn't think that way back then at all.

I was never spanked for my own protection, but always as a means of behavioral modification. Had I only been spanked for protective reasons, assuming my parents weren't regularly allowing me to risk my life, then I may see things differently. Past the age of 5, most parents I've seen spank do so because they are offended that the child "talked back" or did something that made them feel bad. I've also seen kids get spanked for their grades at school. I think it's all wrong, and have found other ways to communicate danger and displeasure to mine(one of whom-not biological- was diagnosed with oppositional defiance disorder) until my husband and I began caring for him. I understand that everyone does the best the can at any given moment though.

It depends on how the child thinks and reacts though, if they don't seem capable of grasping explaining things carefully, then fear may be the next best option, as it has an immediate and lasting effect, and can be far more readily understood even at an early age.

Yes, hitting anyone of any age sends a clear and concise message. It is easier to get people to do things when they are afraid of you, indeed. I just don't think it can be called a healthy way to communicate with another person.

There's alot of parents who won't even attempt to discipline their children in any way... I think we've all seen the brat in the store screaming at one point or another, while the parent just stands by and asks them politely to stop, treating them as if they were an adult and thinking reason works just fine with them.

For every bratty child, I see a jerk/bully of an adult. I'd much rather hear the screeching of a young child who doesn't "get it", than the drama that many adults are capable of conjuring up. And considering that the youngest adults(age 21) were born in 1988, when virtually everyone was spanked, I msst say that I can't agree that spanking has "worked". Further, virtually every violent prisoner was spanked as a child. Where are all the crazy non-spanked criminals who grew up without any sense of self, limits, or control? I would reckon that the most emotionally healthy people in a society are the ones who felt the most loved, not the most disciplined.

Obviously I'm not saying to jump right at the whole spanking first thing, but once yeu've exhausted other alternatives, then don't be scared to. It *CAN* be taken to abusive levels (practically whipping in some cases...) at times, but it doesn't mean that by default it's especially abusive. Of course, on adults it would be by default, since they can think for themselves, and beating them doesn't teach them anything that yeu couldn't teach with discussion.

Wow, that just sent chills down my spine. What about adults who can't think for themselves? You know, the ones' who are mentally handicapped so severely that they depend on a kind adult for guidance? What of the elderly? Did you know that it's adults who can't "think for themselves", along with children, who are the most mistreated in our society? It is all abuse, and it all results from a desensitization to being mistreated. If someone else did it to us, why can't we do it to them?

If I were to run down the middle of the street in the nude, the police would be after me in no time. (please don't imagine that XD ) but a little kid may often do so without even a second thought, especially on a hot summer day if there's sprinklers out in the yards. Obviously the mindset's different, and the capacity to understand social rules is not the same at all.

Yes, I totally agree with you here. Children do not understand all of the implications for their actions, and most of the time, neither do adults at any stage in the game(18+). We are all on a learning continuum that never ends unless we die.

Make sure to increase yeur toolset, leading by example, discussion before things become a problem, that kind of thing, are also highly useful. If yeu only have one tool (spanking), then everything will be treated in respect to it (if all yeu have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail).

I do agree that a parent's tool set should be diverse. But I think a parent's connection to their child should be their biggest tool. No one can watch a kid 24/7, and sometimes our adult lack of foresight prevents us from protecting our children before hand. Nonetheless, there are ways of informing children about hot stoves and such without hitting them. Now, do I know all the ways? No, but I know in my mind what tools I don't have, and they're the same tools I lack in any healthy relationship. I am pleasantly forced to look for ways to connect and respond to my child that don't involve intentionally hurting him.

I appreciate your response!:yes:

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
hmm this might sound funny but I put my parents on check as a child, no sir was I ever gonna get spanked again. I had to educate my parents on how to raise me so to speak, very odd and dysfunctional in comparison to others.

I have a lot of faith in the upcoming generations, they will be the ones to show us the way, to live...

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think perhaps the theory that there are no significant changes in the brain after four years of age is based on obsolete data.