User Tag List

123 Last

Default How do we gain power over death?

How do we gain power over death?

Psychology informs me that it is the nature of humans to be influenced greatly by the recognition of the self and that the self must die. All of us have a great energy directed toward not dying. We dread the conscious thought of dying because our instincts reject death. When we consciously entertain the thought of death we are driven into anxiety and the task of the ego is to reject this anxiety and thus the ego represses such consciousness.

We have the narcissistic urge to reject death and to gain power over death. In gaining this power over death we do many things and one of these things we do is kill others to prove that “Our God is bigger than Their God”. Accumulation of power in all of its manifestations is a form of fighting death and gaining immortality in a sense. Of course we know we must die but our efforts are directed at repressing this awareness by fighting the evil of death and thereby killing others in this effort.

We create all kinds of artificial things to hide within in this process. Nationalism and religion are perhaps the most dangerous of our creations. I guess almost all killing in war is done under the banner of nationalism or religion.

Becker compares three great thinkers Otto Rank, Wilhelm Reich, and Carl Jung to conclude that the three provide us nothing with which to connect their conclusions except that they dissented from Freud. However, there is agreement on the answer to the fundamental question, “What causes evil in human affairs?”

This agreement is also the agreement in all of the human sciences; “man wants above all to endure and prosper, to achieve immortality in some way”.

Wo/man wants, above all, to reject the knowledge of mortality; s/he does so by seeking to assure immortality in some way. Mortality is connected to our animal nature and thereby wo/man reaches for some way of being transcendent of that nature. As our mental capacity increased we rejected other animals with a vengeance because these other animals “embodied what man feared most, a nameless and faceless death.

Our fears are buried deeply within our unconsciousness by repression, that great discovery of the science of psychoanalysis. This repression “is achieved by the symbolic engineering of culture, which everywhere serves men as an antidote to terror by giving them a new and durable life beyond that of the body”.

I have recently finished reading “The Art of War” an article in the March 12, 2007 edition of “Time” by Lev Grossman. The article is about a, largely computer generated, movie regarding a war in ancient Greece. The movie’s title is “The 300 Spartans” and Zack Snyder is the director. The movie is, except for the human actors, a virtual world created by digital movie techniques. The Art of War - TIME

“Snyder is one of a small, hypertechnical fringe of directors who are exploring a new way to make movies by discarding props, sets, extras and real-life locations and replacing them with their computer-generated equivalents.”

“With so much computer-generated make-believe going on, the actor’s physicality is the movie’s only link to the real world…every frame was manipulated and color-shifted to create an intense, thunderstorm palette…The result is a gorgeous, dreamlike movie that’s almost perfect. Every frame is neat and composed, like an oil painting, not a hair or a grain of sand out of place. All noise and dissonance have been digitally eliminated. Maybe that’s the only way to make a war movie right now, or at least, the only way to make a war movie that’s not an antiwar movie…That’s why it’s a piece of mythology. It’s what we would hope for. “300” is a vision of war as ennobling and morally unambiguous and spectacularly good-looking.”

That’s one hell of a special effect. And this movie is, I find, an insight into the meaning of “evil in human affairs”. We are all directors of our individual and our community’s virtual reality.

I suspect we have repressed such conscious thoughts about mortality that we are inclined to dispatch with a shrug any talk of such matters; do you ever consciously seek to “achieve immortality in some way”?

Quotes from Escape from Evil—Ernest Becker

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    What does this mean?

Psychology informs me that it is the nature of humans to be influenced greatly by the recognition of the self and that the self must die.
    What is it to "recognise the self", and, for that matter, what is meant by "the self"? I am also curious about the nature of this "psychology".

All of us have a great energy directed toward not dying.
    I am tempted to disagree, but I am unaware of what "great energy" might mean.

We dread the conscious thought of dying because our instincts reject death.
    Actually, I am quite relaxed about death.

When we consciously entertain the thought of death we are driven into anxiety and the task of the ego is to reject this anxiety and thus the ego represses such consciousness.
    Not at all.

We have the narcissistic urge to reject death and to gain power over death.
    Do we? I am unsure how such an urge would be "narcissistic", too.

In gaining this power over death we do many things and one of these things we do is kill others to prove that “Our God is bigger than Their God”. Accumulation of power in all of its manifestations is a form of fighting death and gaining immortality in a sense. Of course we know we must die but our efforts are directed at repressing this awareness by fighting the evil of death and thereby killing others in this effort.

We create all kinds of artificial things to hide within in this process. Nationalism and religion are perhaps the most dangerous of our creations. I guess almost all killing in war is done under the banner of nationalism or religion.
    Ah, yes. Nationalism and religion are products of this terrible fear of death. Since you have so convincingly argued the point, I am obliged to agree.

On an entirely irrelevant note, I find the creation of numerous, vapid, vacuous and pretentious threads to be rather irritating.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

"I know what I'm doing." - That's the term I coined for myself when I (admittedly) came face-to-face with the whole idea about death, at first hand.

MBTI
    I

Do not be afraid of death. Think of death as a pleasant destiny, a desirable place. Don't think of it as the end of your life, but the beginning of your afterlife. Think of death as a peaceful final frontier which you will eventually reach.

MBTI
    INTJ

By not dying.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

To conquer death you say? .....

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Tap 1 black, 1 other and cast:

Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    YaYa

We make up stories about jesus and magic after-life where we float up to heaven.

Some lucky guys get 40 virgins.

ThatGirl

I believe people fear death due to the physical actions that come before it. Basically no one really fears being dead. Logically speaking we would have no consciousness to know if it sucked or not. However, when you ask people what they fear about dying it is usually, "I want to go peacefully." Drowning or other horrific deaths come from the fear and panic one may experience before hand.

I am writting this on my phone, so forgive me if it is poorly organized.

Now if we take that panic as the fear of death itself, are we not more motivated, more afraid, of our will to live. The instinctual will to live is tricky because the definition of living can be loosely associated. This will to live is what causes us to seek power, as each has an individual need to be in a place of security. Whatever that means to them. For some it is money, others power etc etc.

Over coming death is not the answer, simply overcoming the will to live. But then, what's the point. If we deny life, we may as not have existed at all, and while our fear of death may be moot, our lives still need substance. Each person will seek whatever that means to them in an effort not against death but against the will to live. To have lived.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Tap 1 black, 1 other and cast:
    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    We make up stories about jesus and magic after-life where we float up to heaven.

Some lucky guys get 40 virgins.
    Ah, yes.