123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Open-mindedness: A Universal Virtue

It seems to me the greatest complaint heard about religious people is their lack of open-minded thinking. And I am sure we've all met the old woman muttering about how all the kids sexing up today are going to hell, or that youth group leader who was just a taaaaad overenthusiastic.

But these are not the "rule" of religious people. These are individuals who believe a faith, but are unwilling to let others believe their own beliefs.

Agnostics and atheists quite often pride themselves on not holding any such narrow-minded beliefs themselves. However, I'd like to comment that I have seen people of this belief share the same problem. "People of that one faith are always so judgmental" is, in fact, a judgment itself. It's the same thing as that God-fearing old lady saying "Those hedonistic atheists don't care about anyone but themselves!"

The fact is, people of all walks of life ought to--and often do--respect one another's beliefs. Jews, Muslims, Wiccans, Atheists, Agnostics, Buddhists: any of them can have an open mind, just as any of them can have a closed mind.

Religion, or lack of religion, has nothing to do with how open your mind is. And as I have faced that stereotype myself, I wish people would stop judging others based on that.

Thoughts?
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    istp

stupid is an equal opportunity employer

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Very good thoughts.

I've often thought this, but you've made the thoughts much more concise than I ever could have.

From my own personal experience. I've been known to be open minded, this is just what others think. It makes it hard to have an opinion on your own when you have to weigh the other side into the equation constantly. This is how I've been my whole life.

I'm always searching for something to have an opinion on, but I get stuck on how everything has a reason. Everything is the way it is. People don't find me interesting after a while because I don't have much to say on many topics and because of this I tend to fall out with people quickly.

There lies my bane. My open mindedness hasn't enabled me to have much social interaction. I'm a people needy person because of it (and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now). This is one way it is not a virtue but a curse.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
    It seems to me the greatest complaint heard about religious people is their lack of open-minded thinking. And I am sure we've all met the old woman muttering about how all the kids sexing up today are going to hell, or that youth group leader who was just a taaaaad overenthusiastic.

But these are not the "rule" of religious people. These are individuals who believe a faith, but are unwilling to let others believe their own beliefs.

Agnostics and atheists quite often pride themselves on not holding any such narrow-minded beliefs themselves. However, I'd like to comment that I have seen people of this belief share the same problem. "People of that one faith are always so judgmental" is, in fact, a judgment itself. It's the same thing as that God-fearing old lady saying "Those hedonistic atheists don't care about anyone but themselves!"

The fact is, people of all walks of life ought to--and often do--respect one another's beliefs. Jews, Muslims, Wiccans, Atheists, Agnostics, Buddhists: any of them can have an open mind, just as any of them can have a closed mind.

Religion, or lack of religion, has nothing to do with how open your mind is. And as I have faced that stereotype myself, I wish people would stop judging others based on that.

Thoughts?

You spoke the words right out of my mouth.

I am always hesitant to express the spiritual/religious side of my soul on these forums for this simple reason: the fear of being judged by the many agnostics/atheists here.

Furthermore, as I believe in everything you said perfectly, I find myself believing in everything. I am a Christian-Muslim-Jewish-Hindu-Buddhist-Pagan-Rastafarian (did I cover everything? ) I find that a lot of it preaches the same motifs and values, which I like. I overlook the concrete barriers, and assemble one large universal puzzle.

But I don't want to get too much into that.

I really like that you posted this thread. I constantly fear that Atheists and
    Agnostics are going to judge me and condemn me because of my religious views. Not to say you have to agree with those preaching their faiths, though.

Good thread.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    STFU

jiddu krishnamurti.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    Very good thoughts.

I've often thought this, but you've made the thoughts much more concise than I ever could have.

From my own personal experience. I've been known to be open minded, this is just what others think. It makes it hard to have an opinion on your own when you have to weigh the other side into the equation constantly. This is how I've been my whole life.

I'm always searching for something to have an opinion on, but I get stuck on how everything has a reason. Everything is the way it is. People don't find me interesting after a while because I don't have much to say on many topics and because of this I tend to fall out with people quickly.

There lies my bane. My open mindedness hasn't enabled me to have much social interaction. I'm a people needy person because of it (and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now). This is one way it is not a virtue but a curse.
    On the open-minded note,

I am the same way. I am not too good at arguments based around opinions because I often see both sides almost equally, and am hesitant to choose a side in the first place.

I sometimes wonder if it is a bad thing. I don't condemn anything unless I find it extremely immoral or wrong.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm always searching for something to have an opinion on, but I get stuck on how everything has a reason. Everything is the way it is. People don't find me interesting after a while because I don't have much to say on many topics and because of this I tend to fall out with people quickly.There lies my bane. My open mindedness hasn't enabled me to have much social interaction. I'm a people needy person because of it (and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now). This is one way it is not a virtue but a curse.
    Ah, quite quite true. :P I love getting in discussions with my close atheist friends, and sometimes when I agree with them on a point they ask me, "Well, then why are you Catholic?" and I say, "Oh, I mean I can see how someone can believe that, not that I myself believe it!" It confuses them to death sometimes, but really, it's just allowing yourself to walk in someone else's shoes. The trick is figuring out which ones best fit you, and sometimes none of them really do so you borrow a few and run with them.

You spoke the words right out of my mouth.

I am always hesitant to express the spiritual/religious side of my soul on these forums for this simple reason: the fear of being judged by the many agnostics/atheists here.

Furthermore, as I believe in everything you said perfectly, I find myself believing in everything. I am a Christian-Muslim-Jewish-Hindu-Buddhist-Pagan-Rastafarian (did I cover everything? ) I find that a lot of it preaches the same motifs and values, which I like. I overlook the concrete barriers, and assemble one large universal puzzle.

But I don't want to get too much into that.

I really like that you posted this thread. I constantly fear that Atheists and
    Agnostics are going to judge me and condemn me because of my religious views. Not to say you have to agree with those preaching their faiths, though.

Good thread.
    Aw, thank you. I do think many atheists and agnostics don't realize they have that effect on people! I myself am quite similar when around a group of 'em that I don't know well. I shut my mouth, listen, and wonder if I should say something or not, because I might get hit with criticism for stating a belief. The people unafraid of stating thier thoughts are, of course, the crazies. :P But at the same time, in high school my best friends were Hindu, Protestant, Atheist, and a gay Catholic. I myself am Catholic, and we got along wonderfully.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

All religious people are biased, closed-minded idiots and nothing you say can convince me otherwise.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
    Ah, quite quite true. :P I love getting in discussions with my close atheist friends, and sometimes when I agree with them on a point they ask me, "Well, then why are you Catholic?" and I say, "Oh, I mean I can see how someone can believe that, not that I myself believe it!" It confuses them to death sometimes, but really, it's just allowing yourself to walk in someone else's shoes. The trick is figuring out which ones best fit you, and sometimes none of them really do so you borrow a few and run with them.

Aw, thank you. I do think many atheists and agnostics don't realize they have that effect on people! I myself am quite similar when around a group of 'em that I don't know well. I shut my mouth, listen, and wonder if I should say something or not, because I might get hit with criticism for stating a belief. The people unafraid of stating thier thoughts are, of course, the crazies. :P But at the same time, in high school my best friends were Hindu, Protestant, Atheist, and a gay Catholic. I myself am Catholic, and we got along wonderfully.
    Ah, the essence of Fi. I think a broad spectrum of perspectives and veiw points is the beginning of an open mind. Or, having no perspectives or experiences. It could go either way. But somewhere in the middle lies Judgment. Having only one perspective or set of experiences. Not thinking outside of that. I think it is unwise, but it is understandable, especially because we have a bit of power to control it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    All religious people are biased, closed-minded idiots and nothing you say can convince me otherwise.
    We love you too, Costrin! GROUP HUG!!

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI: