User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    STFU

Default douchey youth group leaders

is it just me or do christian youth group leaders always come off as super douchey? its kinda like club owners. it takes a special breed of douchebag to be a club owner, just as it takes a special breed to be a youth group leader.

im at a cafe and outside there's this christian youth group teen summit going on outside and the leader is some young dude with an ed hardy t-shirt and a douchey fucking haircut. i can't hear what he's enthusiastically saying but im sure its suuuuuper douche.

i was in catholic youth group as a teen and our leader was d-baggy as well.

but at least he didnt wear an ed hardy t-shirt. im sure if jesus was around (or existed for that matter) he would hate those tacky fucking ed hardy shirts as well.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I've hung around with Christian Youth Groups before, and I found most of the leaders to be pretty bland. I didn't feel that much better about the kids in those groups, but I didn't really like the sort of self righteous club-mentality I saw there. I assume they're not all like that.

Also Ed Hardy merch is vile.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

They are trying too hard to make a dying effect on youths. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

They are doing it wrong. Kids look up to leaders who speak their language. Being all prissy and douchy when trying hard to influence a child is the wrong route. If you want a child to listen, speak their tongue.

I was in Youth Group for numerous years, but have since dropped out. I am a dropper.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    STFU

the thing is that alot of these leaders are only a little bit older than the kids, so they speak the language to an extent. they market on this ability to pull these malleable, soul/acceptance searching youngsters into their lame little club.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

i sometimes volunteer to work with children at a local church and i'm nothing like the youth group leaders you describe

...for the few that can grit their(/our) teeth and bear the bad associations some people have, the misnomers, et cetera, it can be a good thing.
    i don't have to push religion on anyone and i get to encourage kids to be exploratory, questioning, and open-minded. it's not as scary as it could be, for the kids or for us.

if no 'normal' people step up to do that stuff, half of those kids will just end up growing up to be the douchey ed hardy wearing youth group leaders. i certainly don't want to doom the little buggers! i know the other option is for the kids to become so disenchanted with the douchebags that they skip over spirituality/religion/philo-whatever altogether until they are much older, if at all, and that's just sad to me, almost worse than becoming the ed hardy d-bag (but not really)

i guess what i'm saying is these types shouldnt ruin everything for the rest of us. they're generally more afraid of us than we them, anyway! (we can take em! no more davey & goliath!)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    the thing is that alot of these leaders are only a little bit older than the kids, so they speak the language to an extent. they market on this ability to pull these malleable, soul/acceptance searching youngsters into their lame little club.
    But it doesn't always work, does it?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    But it doesn't always work, does it?
    nope. some people are smarter, more perceptive/intuitive than others.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    nope. some people are smarter, more perceptive/intuitive than others.
    Good point. Maybe some people just don't get kids. There is an art to communicating with them sometimes.

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    i sometimes volunteer to work with children at a local church and i'm nothing like the youth group leaders you describe

...for the few that can grit their(/our) teeth and bear the bad associations some people have, the misnomers, et cetera, it can be a good thing.
    i don't have to push religion on anyone and i get to encourage kids to be exploratory, questioning, and open-minded. it's not as scary as it could be, for the kids or for us.

if no 'normal' people step up to do that stuff, half of those kids will just end up growing up to be the douchey ed hardy wearing youth group leaders. i certainly don't want to doom the little buggers! i know the other option is for the kids to become so disenchanted with the douchebags that they skip over spirituality/religion/philo-whatever altogether until they are much older, if at all, and that's just sad to me, almost worse than becoming the ed hardy d-bag (but not really)

i guess what i'm saying is these types shouldnt ruin everything for the rest of us. they're generally more afraid of us than we them, anyway! (we can take em! no more davey & goliath!)
    i hope i am not conveying all are like that!

bless you for not being a douche
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    STFU

ok i did kinda convey all are like that. just swap the word 'always' with 'often' in the first sentence.

my bad, yo
    -
    J.Krishnamurti