• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Somatic Types and Personality Types

Mole

Permabanned
It is crystal clear that many, perhaps most, here associate somatic types and personality types, just as Carl Jung did.

I would be ashamed to make this association but here it is paraded before us without a hint of conscience.

I thought everyone knew somatic typing was immoral.

And I am surprised that the association of somatic typing and personality typing is also not seen as immoral.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It is crystal clear that many, perhaps most, here associate somatic types and personality types, just as Carl Jung did.

I would be ashamed to make this association but here it is paraded before us without a hint of conscience.

I thought everyone knew somatic typing was immoral.

And I am surprised that the association of somatic typing and personality typing is also not seen as immoral.

I looked up "somatic."

Somatics- n. pl. (constructed as singular)
"1. The art and science of the interrelational process between awareness, biological function and environment, all three factors being understood as a synergistic whole: The field of Somatics.
2. The study of the soma, soma being the biological body of functions by which and through which awareness and environment are mediated.
3. In common usage, somatics relates to somas of the human species, whose sensoria are relatively free from the determination of genetically fixed behavior patterns, thus allowing learning to determine the interrelational process between awareness, biological function and awareness.
[Greek, somatikos, soma, somat- body. French, Somatique.]"
--Thomas Hanna

I personally don't believe somatic typing is immoral. Thus, I'm not a hypocrite.

Why would we find somatic typing immoral? :huh:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I see what Victor is saying, and I kind of agree with it. I can't disagree with it because it is a good point.

In my opinion, he is saying that to put labels across our foreheads, like Typology, and then making judgments and actively using it to make decisions and inferences in a social setting is immoral. I have thought about it before, and I think that is what he is saying, but he could be wrong.

Perhaps we over estimate the MBTI? Should we not have drawn it out to much? Look at what it's turned into, we make it apart of our lives like the clothes we wear.

In my opinion, MBTI isn't as powerful as we (you and I) put it out to be. I think at times we can all make it larger than it is. I often fail to remember that it is all preference based, and that we are more like each other than we say we are.

But that could be a load of BS and nothing what Victor is trying to say. It's my honest opinion.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We have to put labels on other people, even in the absence of Typology. If you were to strip all the stereotypes away, you wouldn't even be able to comprehend another person except as a "new thing" that you would immediately start putting labels on, anyway (e.g. "harmless," "food," "potential threat"). That's how we make sense of things; without that impulse, everything would be a meaningless blur and we would be unable to function. The one thing that I would point out, though, is that (as I just got done saying in another thread) the map isn't the territory. People will come along who don't fit into your old framework for looking at humans, just as you'll discover things in your travels that don't appear on the map. The key is to keep your mind open and be willing to acknowledge that you'll never have a perfect, infallible framework for things. The problem with Typology, and maybe this is what Victor has in mind, is that it seems to resist that; Typology puts people into these neat little boxes, and you must fit perfectly, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
What is somatic typing, Victor?

Somatic typing is the basis of type by appearance/body type.

Like someone who is an endomorph will have X type of personality, someone with a square jaw will have Y type of personality, etc.

People make this kind of association anyway without typology (jolly fat man, mean skinny bitch, etc) but typology systemizes it and therefore makes it worse.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I see what Victor is saying, and I kind of agree with it. I can't disagree with it because it is a good point.

In my opinion, he is saying that to put labels across our foreheads, like Typology, and then making judgments and actively using it to make decisions and inferences in a social setting is immoral. I have thought about it before, and I think that is what he is saying, but he could be wrong.

Perhaps we over estimate the MBTI? Should we not have drawn it out to much? Look at what it's turned into, we make it apart of our lives like the clothes we wear.

In my opinion, MBTI isn't as powerful as we (you and I) put it out to be. I think at times we can all make it larger than it is. I often fail to remember that it is all preference based, and that we are more like each other than we say we are.

But that could be a load of BS and nothing what Victor is trying to say. It's my honest opinion.

+1. Good points.

Everyone is stereotyped and labeled one way or another in life. You'll never be able to get away from that.

I think though with MBTI we can make it into something bigger than it is. Although it can help you understand another individual, that person is still an individual who has gone through their life experiencing all sorts. People can say "well this type that i knew was like this and that type was like that" but you can not stick that kind of mud to everyone of that type.

I don't do the hostess and don't care about appearances, yet this is supposed to characteristic of me because someone said so.

From all this type stuff, i find it helps me better communicate with people. I know who i can use my Fe with and where it is probably best tucked away (although i am sure i am using it all the time to an extent).

I did find though on Vent that because i couldn't see their type, i just spoke to people and was myself. I treated people as people. Yet on the threads when i see the type, i am careful and even weary to talk to some incase i come across as stupid.

It can be seen as a help or a hinderance depending on how you look at it.

Mole

Permabanned
Why would we find somatic typing immoral?

You need to know history to know why a particular somatic typing is immoral.

In the 20s and 30s and 40s somatic typing was used to divide us into Aryans, Jews, Slavs, Asians and Blacks. And you know the immoral result of this particular somatic typing.

Unfortunately Carl Jung freely supported this form of somatic typing and added personality typing to it.

This particular somatic typing did not survive WW II but Jung's personality typing did in the form of MBTI.

And this particular somatic typing took us about as close to absolute evil as we have come. And in fact the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was written to remedy this evil.

And so we find this particular form of somatic typing so immoral that we rightly suspect anything or anyone associated with it.

And when I followed my suspicions up, I found that no Psychology Department in any University accepts MBTI. So I asked why.

And I have been trying to pass on this information ever since.

However I do understand that many naively identify with MBTI and defend it on that basis.

And I understand they feel personally affronted when MBTI is criticized - it is as though they themselves are being criticized.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Victor - you seem to be on a mission here.
I wouldn't take people on MBTItyping so seriously.
It's just a way to figure out the world and other people.
I'm sure people aren't so MBTIish in the real world.

wank

MBTI Type
free
Enneagram
nope
With regard to viewing the use of mbti as immoral-
I'm going to disagree. I see your points of view, however, I would think that it would be more a matter of ethics(consequential), than of morals(although it could be this as well, subjective though, if you will[I recognize this is flawed<simply it is that
I see ethics as semi-mathematical and morals subject to whim - this is where I bring up Hitler, lol>]).

Mole

Permabanned
Victor - you seem to be on a mission here.
I wouldn't take people on MBTItyping so seriously.
It's just a way to figure out the world and other people.
I'm sure people aren't so MBTIish in the real world.

I am on a mission. I love the intellectual life. And history lives for me.

Also I understand we perceive by making distinctions. So I first make very clear distinctions in order to see.

I do understand this arouses strong feeling in others, and all I ask is that they keep their good humour and forebear from insulting me personally.

The intellectual life is like riding a large wave. The largest wave I have ridden was at Cronulla beach in Sydney after a storm. It was very exciting and I was completely taken by the wave. And eventually the wave washed me up in the beach. Wow!

And naturally I have been catching intellectual waves ever since.

So Alcea Rosea you are right, I am a body surfer on a mission, riding the storm.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
So Alcea Rosea you are right, I am a body surfer on a mission, riding the storm.

You're so good, Victor. :) I kind of envy people who have missions and who are on missions. Althought it is easier not to have one. ;)

Mole

Permabanned
You're so good, Victor. :) I kind of envy people who have missions and who are on missions. Althought it is easier not to have one. ;)

My secret mission is to be happy. And I find I am quite happy here.

I do recognise that some are not happy here, and I do know that misery loves company.

It's just that I have found misery to be unnecessary and garden variety happiness to be common.

At first I would join the dance of misery and reply to an insult with an insult. But very soon I learnt this was a never ending loop whose sole purpose was to share the misery.

And I do recognise that there are some who intensely want to share the misery and will tell you that you are bad if you don't want to share.

I like to be good as well as happy so at first I fell for that. Unfortunately even sharing misery is a never ending loop. So I simply stepped off the merry-go-round. It still keeps going round and round, it seems almost by itself. But here I am in the sunshine and crisp air listening to them telling me they can't get off.

I am happy in the noosphere. It does seem to be a loop as well. But whereas misery is a vicious cycle, the noosphere is a virtuous circle.