User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Ghost stories

Default Ghost stories

Last night I was with a pretty diverse group of people when somehow the subject of ghosts was brought up. I was in the skeptical minority last evening, but it made me realize that lots of people (everyone that was there sans myself and 2 other people) have had what they consider to be genuine encounters with something they cannot explain away with logic.

I was curious if any people here had, for lack of a better word, a ‘personal ghost story’? This kind of thing has always fascinated me and I love hearing, talking, and reading about it so I have an open mind. It just something I’ve never experienced something first hand.

My apologies if this has been done before.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

There is a place near me that has a ghost haunting legend. A couple of friends of mine went there once a swear they saw a ghost. A lady in old-styled clothing is what they say it appeared as. At a later date I went with them to the place, as a skeptic. Alas, nothing happened when I was there! I consider these things to be rubbish.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I haven't had any ghostly experiences but the closest thing was when I was 8, I had recurring dreams of being abducted by aliens for about 2 weeks.

Alas, nothing happened when I was there! I consider these things to be rubbish.
    I tend to lean toward that but so many people seem so sure. Granted people are so sure they've seen Elvis working at the Burger King in Kalamazoo. It makes me wonder if it's because they believe in the phenomenon that they see it and people who don't fail to see it? Maybe some people would be more sensitive to that kind of thing. Thoughts?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I tend to lean toward that but so many people seem so sure. Granted people are so sure they've seen Elvis working at the Burger King in Kalamazoo. It makes me wonder if it's because they believe in the phenomenon that they see it and people who don't fail to see it? Maybe some people would be more sensitive to that kind of thing. Thoughts?
    People can look at the same painting and come up with different sentiments. A person's attitude toward the subject can influence how the person interprets sensory data.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

I can agree to that, especially if the experience in question was, "Someone was breathing down my neck and when I turned around no one was there." One person may chalk up their experience to a ghost, while another thinks it was only the wind. On the other hand how to explain when people actually see a ghost, or even speak to them?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I can agree to that, especially if the experience in question was, "Someone was breathing down my neck and when I turned around no one was there." One person may chalk up their experience to a ghost, while another thinks it was only the wind. On the other hand how to explain when people actually see a ghost, or even speak to them?
    Some people BS for one reason or another. Others are psychotic. People can be stranger than even ghosts themselves.
    Johari Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I haven't personally had something happen that couldn't be explained away. There was one time when I was younger that what appeared to be an electric blue firefly came down the path to my tent, but it could have just been some kind of weird bug- blue is a common color for bioluminescence.

As such, I remain a skeptic, although I still sleep with a night light just in case. n_n
    Wait, what did you say again?

It's interesting to me that in all the people on this board (and I consider them to intelligent because they are at least trying to understand themselves or others ) that I can't find one person who had something unexplainable happen. That says a lot.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Well, most things that happen CAN be explained away... whether or not the explanation is correct is a different story. Still, I haven't seen any proof of ghosts, as of yet, despite all the shows about haunted houses and ghost finders and the like.
    Wait, what did you say again?