User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default How do you Judge Intelligence?

In my opinion, intelligence is multi-dimensional. There are many ways to display intelligence, whether it be in writing, art, mathematics, or some other method. As such, I'm sure different people use different markers to determine the intelligence of others.

Personally, I judge by a person's ability to communicate (I would not recommend this method. It's very flawed and frequently makes for confusion in forums such as this, where I instinctually judge intelligence on grammar and sentence structure). I'm working towards judging by quality of ideas, instead of how they are presented.

What about you? How do you judge a person's intelligence? Does it even matter to you at all? SHOULD it matter?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I agree with you: multi-dimensional. How do I gauge someone's intelligence? I can just "tell," as if they have a neon brain floating above their head. Presumably, it has something to do with their creativity, depth, sense of humor, and overall level of articulation.

I am driven insane by how much certain IQ tests are overrated. I know a brilliant musician who cannot give directions to her house. I know amazing mathematicians who struggle with creative writing. I know poor students who have excellent "street-smarts." I am also driven insane by how much grades are overrated. They are more displays of work-ethic than intelligence, in my opinion.

I don't think that the level of IQ is as important as using whatever you have. Lack of intelligence is only bad when you posess a lack of judgement. Most people don't need quantum physics in everyday life, but making good decisions is very important.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I try to think of things in practical terms. To me competence is what matters. Intelligence is subjective. I trust a person's ability as far as they are able to show competence.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP

Someone who asks a lot of questions.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I agree with you on judging intelligence based on communication. My first instinct is usually to write off people for poor grammar/spelling/using words completely incorrectly. I do know many people who do all of those but are just as intelligent as I am. My ISFP friend is very observant and good at pretty much anything in the real world but is always assigning words random meanings, and I know an ENFJ who can solve puzzles faster than me but can barely spell. It's always interesting when I find myself struggling to do something (like learn to drive manual transmission) and one of my friends gets it in a snap. Clearly there must be different forms of intelligence many of which are overlooked, as shown in the "Stupid NTs" thread.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I think intelligence is a gift from God.

Personally, I won't judge a person from his intelligence. It's like judging someone from his physical appearance. It's not fair.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

no wait nvm
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post