123 Last

Thread: torture

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Default torture

What are your thoughts on torture? Do you think it is ever morally acceptable? If so, when? How do you respond to new coverage dealing with people being tortured? In your opinion, what counts as torture--mental, physical, psychological? Are certain types of torture acceptable, but others not?
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Torture is proven to cause deep feelings of hatred and a need for revenge.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is an excerpt from a paper I just turned in about Al Qaeda's formation, financial history, why they hate the U.S., etc. The main reference was a book titled "The Looming Tower"

"III.Why is the U.S. a Target of Al Qaeda?
    Two early schools of thought that fueled AQ’s desire to target America for terrorist attacks are discussed below.

A.Crimes Against Muslims and Islam
    One theory that America was targeted by Al Qaeda on 9/11 begins with the torture of Islamists in the prisons of Egypt (Wright, 61). Sayyid Qutb and his acolytes, including Ayman al-Zawahiri, purportedly acquired a deep desire for revenge after their torture (Wright, 60). Although the primary targets of Islamists wrath was Egypt’s secular government, some of the anger was channeled toward the West as it was seen as an enabler of the regime that committed the torture (Wright, 60). Torture of the Islamists in Egyptian prisons was thus transmogrified into the humiliation of all Islamic society, especially to young radicals (Wright, 60). Revenge against the West was no longer retribution, it was justice (Wright, 60)."

REFERENCE:
    Wright, Lawrence. (2006). The Looming Tower - Al Qaeda and the Road to 9/11. New York: Vintage Books – A Division of Random House, Inc.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I think it's depraved and I don't see what good it does.

Phantonym

Torture is what it is - inflicting pain. I wouldn't want anybody to feel pain, so I don't think it is morally acceptable, ever, no matter what kind it is. Whether it is mental, physical or psychological, pain is pain.

You might think that getting even with somebody who has caused you pain by making them feel even more pain is helpful to you. It's not. Pain creates anger which in turn creates even more pain and anger. It turns into a cycle that can be very difficult to break.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

What do you mean? Are you talking about this from a political perspective? If so than physical torture = Not morally acceptable at all. Emotional/psychological torture, I could see how that could be debatable.

But if it's someone in my life... I wouldn't want anyone to really feel pain ever. Even though I think things sometimes, like beating the shit out of people who make fun of others and don't do any good for themselves nor society, I really couldn't bring myself to doing it. Forcing an INFx to torture anything (whether it's psychological, physical or emotional) is like forcing yourself to beat a kitten, you just couldn't do it.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

There is nothing I wouldn't do to another person, if it meant the safety of my family or loved ones. If that includes torture, then so be it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    ...is like forcing yourself to beat a kitten, you just couldn't do it.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Oooh, Halla, this is torture by laughter!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    DOUBLE PUN.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

So does the fact that I believe there are circumstances which would morally permit torture make me evil?
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli