• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Everything Is Science

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
What I mean by Science is the truth. I know there is science that is theoretical and they cannot prove, thats not what I mean.

Maybe someone can think of a better word? Anyway.

EVERYTHING is science.

Ever think that the reason that miracles have declined are because people are using science to figure them out? That maybe they WERENT miracles, in the supernatural sense.

This is why I'm a diest/agnostic. I believe that if there is some super-powerful being that they would not need to deviate from natural law to do things.

Think of a super complex clockmaker.

But pretty much, if they find proof of the "supernatural" which i Don't believe they will, it will be science.

People often say that I am "closed" minded, but the fact is I am not, I want to believe in a happy super candy land in the sky after death, I want to believe in a father figure that loves me no matter what, and in magic.
But i can't, because I have not had on experience in my life that says I should.

Everything is science

locus8

MBTI Type
INTP
I wouldn't say everything is science. I'd like to say that everything is either philosophy, or it is science. Actually, I would be inclined to think that everything is philosophy, considering the fact that science relies on paradigms which are for the most part philosophical in nature. But that's disgressing. Let's say that everything is worthy of scientific investigation, although not everything can be.

Just another ISTJ

MBTI Type
IsTj
Enneagram
1w9
I take it you're claiming that everything can be rationally explained.

I agree with you to an extent, but everyone's reality is subjective. So when someone is having a near death experience featuring visions of God, the afterlife, and so forth, one could explain that said visions were due to a series of chemical reactions, which triggered some area of one's brain. To the person who had the experience however, there could be much more meaning attached to it. Whether it was what could be deemed as a truly spiritual moment is unknown to all of us as observers.

In short, while there appears to be definite rules in this universe, I'm not so certain that everything can be rationally explained.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
Rethink your definition of science. Engineers and scientists are painfully aware of the fact that just about all of science is just theory. It is the best estimation we can create to model the natural world we live in.

Lets take for example, Newton and the laws he derived. Newtons second law states that the force applied to a body within an inertial reference frame is equal to the mass of the object times the acceleration. This is taken to be absolutely true by many people but is in fact only an estimation that becomes more and more inaccurate as the speed of the object approaches a significant fraction of the speed of light.

Netwon was a genius and has become a pillar of science and yet was a very religious man. He understood that developing a flawed understand of the natural world can only provide incomplete answers as to how things happen. I see no inherent conflict with the idea of a God as a creator and science and rational thought. Quite a few other giants don't either. I've been meaning to get my hands on a few writings such as Pascals Wager to expand my ideas on the topic.

I feel as if you may be missing the point of faith in a god. The whole point is to develop an irrational faith not based on empirical evidence or reasoning. I really see no conflict here, even for a rational person like an INTP.

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Rethink your definition of science. Engineers and scientists are painfully aware of the fact that just about all of science is just theory. It is the best estimation we can create to model the natural world we live in.

Lets take for example, Newton and the laws he derived. Newtons second law states that the force applied to a body within an inertial reference frame is equal to the mass of the object times the acceleration. This is taken to be absolutely true but is in fact only an estimation that becomes more and more inaccurate as the speed of the object approaches a significant fraction of the speed of light.

Netwon was a genius and has become a pillar of science and yet was a very religious man. He understood that developing a flawed understand of the natural world can only provide incomplete answers as to how things happen. I see no inherent conflict with the idea of a God as a creator and science and rational thought.

I feel as if you may be missing the point of faith in a god. The whole point is to develop an irrational faith not based on empirical evidence or reasoning. I really see no conflict here, even for a rational person like an INTP.

Like I said a bunch of times, science is my word for truth, or something like that. Not science as defined officially.

Like I also said, if someone can think of a better word, I might adopt it.

Basically what I mean is, I think of science as the truth, my definition of science is basically, non-supernatural truths. I haven't vocalized it before, so its hard to explain.
I think that miracles/supernatural things are basically thigns we just dont understand yet. Not outside of natural law.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Moved to Philosophy and Spirituality. Not that I think this thread merits either title.

locus8

MBTI Type
INTP

Indeed. Although I do not myself believe in a god, and am agnostic, I do not see any conflict between being a scientist and believing in god. Scientists already need to believe in certain things to engage in scientific activity. If scientists were to restrict themselves from having any kind of belief, and choose an agnostic stance by default for anything they could not demonstrate, then they would not be able to pursue scientific activity. The paradigms that they use are based on assumptions and require some degree of faith.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
Like I said a bunch of times, science is my word for truth, or something like that. Not science as defined officially.

Like I also said, if someone can think of a better word, I might adopt it.

Basically what I mean is, I think of science as the truth, my definition of science is basically, non-supernatural truths. I haven't vocalized it before, so its hard to explain.
I think that miracles/supernatural things are basically thigns we just dont understand yet. Not outside of natural law.

Ok so the label is just semantics. That's fine.

If you are using science to address physical truths, how can you expect it to address the metaphysical?

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I suppose one could put this forward as "Science is belief in understanding".

It does not need to conflict with spiritual values... though it will conflict if those spiritual values are not open to change. This is the common point of contention, as it is commonly perceived that to adjust ones values is to admit to being wrong. Or perhaps to question one's values might be seen as a lack of dedication. I find this a curious stance as opposed to one where one seeks to continually improve oneself. A keystone of Science is the ability to doubt, question, revisit old theories, examine new evidence. It invites a humble aspect.

deepthought

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Think of it more like this as explained before, everything as you know it has a science behind it, even if it isn't perfect logic it's still logical. This is in the sense that everything has a theory behind it not yet completed because we don't know enough yet to complete this theory. That as I believe it applies to everything in life.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Ok so the label is just semantics. That's fine.

If you are using science to address physical truths, how can you expect it to address the metaphysical?

The supposed metaphysical is a manifestation of psychological patterns that came about as an evolutionary byproduct of other cognitive developments, and have no actual correspondence with things as they exist?

It's very difficult to learn about anything from a metaphysical perspective, since solipsism is the natural logical progression of those perspectives. Solipsism is completely useless as a way of understanding things.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
The supposed metaphysical is a manifestation of psychological patterns that came about as an evolutionary byproduct of other cognitive developments, and have no actual correspondence with things as they exist?
Are you asking me or telling me? It sounds like you have reached a conclusion on this already and are just telling me what you feel. But I'd just like to make sure.

It's very difficult to learn about anything from a metaphysical perspective, since solipsism is the natural logical progression of those perspectives. Solipsism is completely useless as a way of understanding things.
I do not agree with this, at all. I think solipsism to be a useless crock of shit (and it seems like you do too?).

I'm not sure what you are saying or asking me here.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Are you asking me or telling me? It sounds like you have reached a conclusion on this already and are just telling me what you feel. But I'd just like to make sure.

That would be a scientific explanation for the metaphysical, if true.

I do not agree with this, at all. I think solipsism to be a useless crock of shit (and it seems like you do too?).

I'm not sure what you are saying or asking me here.

There are few metaphysical concepts that wouldn't be better explained by solipsism, which we agree, is useless.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Everything is quantifiable would be better than saying everything is science.

Science relates to knowledge we have obtained. Not all knowledge in the universe.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I suppose one could put this forward as "Science is belief in understanding".

It does not need to conflict with spiritual values... though it will conflict if those spiritual values are not open to change. This is the common point of contention, as it is commonly perceived that to adjust ones values is to admit to being wrong. Or perhaps to question one's values might be seen as a lack of dedication. I find this a curious stance as opposed to one where one seeks to continually improve oneself. A keystone of Science is the ability to doubt, question, revisit old theories, examine new evidence. It invites a humble aspect.

Ironically humility is a fundamental teaching of a lot of religions. Perhaps the problem lies not in the teachings of the religions but how they are practiced.

Everything is quantifiable would be better than saying everything is science.

The problem with this is that it is clearly a false statement. For example when you classify an organism by kingdom, phylum, class, etc... you are making a qualitative judgement rather than a quantitative one. Quantitative judgements are more important in Physics and Chemistry than they are in the other sciences.

Son of the Damned

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Actually, Everything isn't Science. Science is a method. A method for gathering information about that natural world. We use this information to make theories about how the natural world works. Sometimes this leads to some crazy-ass ideas, but its an ongoing process.