ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by TSDesigner View Post
    BOTH
    I like the way you think.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.

Randomness in a determined sort of sense. Actually screw it, I believe in free will so determined but by me!!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Seems pretty random. (Falls off my chair.)

MBTI
    INTJ

I mean there's things that are random and things that are determined. Your personality determines a lot of what is going to happen throughout your life, but your personality was randomly created when you were conceived. Then there are nonrandom inherent rules of existance, such as 2+2=4, the law of gravity, and survival of the fittest. Twins separated as babies can have the same career, the same habits, and kids with the same names, but one of them can be randomly killed by a car.

MBTI
    INTJ

This forum fails at philosophy.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

this thread = harold and kumar existentialism

MBTI
    INTJ

I knew I'd taken off my pants for some reason.
    wails from the crypt.

Phantonym

Hehe. *Wannabe-philosopher enters the thread* Hmmm. I might agree with that "Both" answer. I tend to think that life is determined in a way that you're supposed to make choices but the outcome is both random and also dependent on the choices. Life is not a straight line from A to B. It's in a way that whenever you make a choice, you change the course which leads you to another choice which also changes the course and keeps doing that until... you don't anymore.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Define the terms.

They are vague, and by their usual meanings, not mutually exclusive.

I'd assume you mean predictable vs unpredictable, but people's definitions vary a lot on these terms.

Again, if my assumption is true, I'd assume you mean from a human point of view. I can't imagine unpredictability as an actual property of an object, merely a property of the would be "predictor".

The Universe is unpredictable, to a certain degree, and from a human POV, for the following reasons:-

Classical Physics: Where all particles inact a force on all other particles. Humans are part of the entire universe at any given moment. In order to predict the universe, they need to predict themselves, as they are part of the universe. They in turn would be affected by the prediction they make, so in order to predict themselves, in order to predict the universe, they would need to predict the prediction. Ad Infinitum. Perfect predictions are the product of guesswork.

Quantum Mechanics: The behaviour of Sub-Atomic "entities", appears unpredictable in nature. Bell's Theorem is a decent mathematical proof that some of this behaviour will always remain unpredictable to us.

But, with unpredictability comes predictability. As multiple objects behaving randomly start to become more predictable the more objects there are. Same as how one dice roll (if a dice roll were actually random) is unpredictable, but one million dice rolls has a much larger degree of certainty to it. (1d6 is 1 in 6 odds for each number, for 2d6, 7 becomes more likely than the other numbers, because more roll combinations produce it)

The behaviour of googel's of particles, becomes as predictable as the universe around us is.

There's a lot of complexity revolving around Epistemology, if I guessed your meanings correctly. Even Philosphy of Mind steps into the ring (it always does, to be fair).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Our consciences 'may' be random, but the action/outcome/consequence is determined, I would think.

... God knows Best.