• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Meditating with Wind in the Willows

Mole

Permabanned
My parents read, "Wind in the Willows" to me as a child. But now in my second childhood I want to read it again.

The first time, "Wind in the Willows", was read aloud to me, I was interested in 'what' - in what comes next.

But the second time I am interested in 'how', how i read, "Wind in the Willows", how I sound and how you sound.

For I want to reread, "Wind in the Willows", aloud on Skype, turn and turn about.

So rather than discovering the characters for the first time and following the story line for the first time, I am interested in the very act of reading aloud, turn and turn about.

Turn and turn about is important as we alternate from paragraph to paragraph, from being the listener to being the reader.

And it is this alternation of reading aloud that sets up a rhythm between the two.

Also to read all of, "The Wind in the Willows", at the rate of one chapter per week requires a commitment. And also to read the whole book aloud over Skype is an achievement.

And the purpose is to change the readers. It is not an entertainment or relief from boredom, it is a simple transformation.

In other words you won't be the same person at the beginning of, "Wind in the Willows", as you will be at the end.

But most of all, rather than reading the book, we are reading ourselves. We are watching ourselves change as we read, "Wind in the Willows", aloud to one another.

This is not to be entered into lightly or without commitment. Rather it is to entered into in a spirit of adventure and self discovery.

To share the rereading of, "Wind in the Willows", is a meditation for grown ups.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I enjoyed our turn. You were as much a delightful listener as a reader and that's a rarity. The conversation that followed was even better. :nice:

I hope you find more participants. :hug:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I would like to participate as well. Any chance of getting several of us together at an agreed-upon time?

Mole

Permabanned
I would like to participate as well. Any chance of getting several of us together at an agreed-upon time?

Yes, and an agreed upon time and an agreed upon experience.

So that as we are reading and listening to Wind in the Willows, we are reading and listening to ourselves and one another.

And we apply a simple reality test. So we ask at the end of each reading, am I relaxed and refreshed? And if the answer is yes, we continue. And if the answer is no, we discontinue.

And we might find four readers and listeners who might choose a character to read just themselves. And indeed you might choose your character by type. I choose Mole 'cause I think I am like Mole. But you might prefer Ratty or Toad or Badger or Otter or even little Portly.

And after dipping our toe in chapter one, we might decide to read the whole book, one chapter at a time.

And tentatively we might decide on a set time on Sunday morning or any other suitable time.

And we always keep in mind we are moving out of the literate culture into the spoken culture.

Mole

Permabanned
Speaking Meditation

It is difficult for Westerners to sit still for an hour and a half and meditate.

In fact we Westerners do better with moving meditation like walking meditation or dancing meditation or, interestingly, speaking meditation.

And that is precisely what reading Wind in the Willows aloud is - speaking meditation.

Reading aloud to one another formally encourages equality as we each take turns reading and listening - turn and turn about.

And reading aloud to one another encourages enjoyable interaction and it nourishes the spirit.

But most of all we can watch ourselves moving from print to the spoken word - just as our culture is moving from literacy to the noosphere around us.

And who better to accompany us on our adventure than Mole and Ratty and Badger and of course the incorrigible Mr Toad.