User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 73

Thread: Meditation?

  1. #11
    Senior Member SuperServal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Last summer I meditated quite often. My significant other had a plethora of books on meditation techniques, Buddhism, Taoism, and other Eastern philosophies. Needless to say, I devoured some of these books and I started to put meditation into practice.

    One memorable time I woke up feeling pissed off and rather ill. I did not want to go to work AT ALL. So I decided to meditate...this time with music in the background. I sat down and went into that floating place in my brain, focusing on my breaths while also focusing on the music (it was Fleet Foxes BTW). Suddenly I was swept up in glorious greens and golds. I found the part of my soul that likes adventure and exploration. Giddily I jumped up, went to work, and I was in one of the best moods ever.

    I need to get back into doing it regularly.
    9 wing 1

  2. #12
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    ^ You're very right. But for those who can't meditate or don't see the merit in meditation, weed could be for them. I mean who knows? Others might feel on a profound level equivalent to meditation when they smoke weed.
    I can't argue with you there. Hey, I used it to meditate myself, It'd be hypocritical for me to tell you not to do it.

    But it is my views that it should not be attached to. Nothing should be attached to, everything comes and goes with the tides of life. Meditate with an open and free mind and soul, and nothing more.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  3. #13
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperServal View Post
    Last summer I meditated quite often. My significant other had a plethora of books on meditation techniques, Buddhism, Taoism, and other Eastern philosophies. Needless to say, I devoured some of these books and I started to put meditation into practice.

    One memorable time I woke up feeling pissed off and rather ill. I did not want to go to work AT ALL. So I decided to meditate...this time with music in the background. I sat down and went into that floating place in my brain, focusing on my breaths while also focusing on the music (it was Fleet Foxes BTW). Suddenly I was swept up in glorious greens and golds. I found the part of my soul that likes adventure and exploration. Giddily I jumped up, went to work, and I was in one of the best moods ever.

    I need to get back into doing it regularly.
    You have it, man, you have it.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  4. #14
    cast shadows metaphours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Last summer I meditated quite often. My significant other had a plethora of books on meditation techniques, Buddhism, Taoism, and other Eastern philosophies. Needless to say, I devoured some of these books and I started to put meditation into practice.

    One memorable time I woke up feeling pissed off and rather ill. I did not want to go to work AT ALL. So I decided to meditate...this time with music in the background. I sat down and went into that floating place in my brain, focusing on my breaths while also focusing on the music (it was Fleet Foxes BTW). Suddenly I was swept up in glorious greens and golds. I found the part of my soul that likes adventure and exploration. Giddily I jumped up, went to work, and I was in one of the best moods ever.

    I need to get back into doing it regularly.
    Wow, that's a great story. Maybe I should meditate before I go to school. That way I'd be less pissed off when I'm there...

  5. #15
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    As I normally do a lot of things, I have meditated. I need my mind clear.

    The problem with me is, I can't stop thinking. Ever. Period. So the only way I can possibly stop thinking is to consciously stop. Normally the contents of my brain are (from the most conscious to the most unconscious):

    1. I should stop procrastinating. Nah, I will just talk my way out of it.
    2. Plotting how I will be successful in life and get ahead comes next. Lots of plans
    3. Some random song is always playing in my head
    4. Random events run through my head, or I am thinking about something irrelevant

    The first time I ever cleared my mind was the first time I realized how much I think of at once. It is taxing.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  6. #16
    cast shadows metaphours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    But it is my views that it should not be attached to. Nothing should be attached to, everything comes and goes with the tides of life. Meditate with an open and free mind and soul, and nothing more.
    Can't argue with you there.

  7. #17
    cast shadows metaphours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    As I normally do a lot of things, I have meditated. I need my mind clear.

    The problem with me is, I can't stop thinking. Ever. Period. So the only way I can possibly stop thinking is to consciously stop. Normally the contents of my brain are (from the most conscious to the most unconscious):

    1. I should stop procrastinating. Nah, I will just talk my way out of it.
    2. Plotting how I will be successful in life and get ahead comes next. Lots of plans
    3. Some random song is always playing in my head
    4. Random events run through my head, or I am thinking about something irrelevant

    The first time I ever cleared my mind was the first time I realized how much I think of at once. It is taxing.
    Yeah, that's the way I felt when I first started meditating. You eventually get better at clearing your mind of things. What I do sometimes when I have trouble clearing my mind is, I put on some like real low key ambient music. It gets you in the perfect mood.

  8. #18
    You're fired. Lol. Antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    Yeah, that's the way I felt when I first started meditating. You eventually get better at clearing your mind of things. What I do sometimes when I have trouble clearing my mind is, I put on some like real low key ambient music. It gets you in the perfect mood.
    I do that. I really like piano music and stuff too in the background.

    Actually, I will probably clear my mind tonight. I have to make decisions, and I suck at that. I find that when I empty my mind I make even better rational decisions than I already do.

    I only have problems with decisions when it comes to emotional ones, and that is what I am faced with. I hate it.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

    Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

  9. #19
    cast shadows metaphours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I do that. I really like piano music and stuff too in the background.

    Actually, I will probably clear my mind tonight. I have to make decisions, and I suck at that. I find that when I empty my mind I make even better rational decisions than I already do.

    I only have problems with decisions when it comes to emotional ones, and that is what I am faced with. I hate it.
    Eh, I'm bad at making any kind of decisions. Especially when it's between two really good things, then I just go fucking nuts.
    But meditation definitely does help in that sort of stitatuion.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Scott N Denver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    ^ You're very right. But for those who can't meditate or don't see the merit in meditation, weed could be for them. I mean who knows? Others might feel on a profound level equivalent to meditation when they smoke weed.
    At best you'll be thrown into experiences that you have no control over. If your lucky those will be good experiences, but often they are not. Do you wanna see ghosts and demons coming to rip your soul apart knowing that your on a trip and can't do squat about it, furthermore knowing that said ghosts and demons probably aren't even "real" anyways bit your still pissing your pants and clawing your face anyways? That might be more LSD level than marijuana, but still the point remains.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] ENTP and meditation
    By professor goodstain in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-25-2009, 06:04 AM
  2. Meditation
    By Snow Turtle in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 02:36 AM
  3. Meditation
    By SuperServal in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 01:20 AM
  4. Meditation
    By ring the bell in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 07:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO