User Tag List

Sniffles

Default Clarence Darrow v G.K. Chesterton on evolution, science, and religion

Here Ivy, in case you missed it last night.

[youtube="FI4rpNrkfps"]Evolution debate[/youtube]

Sniffles

Then here's another one concerning Chesterton's debate with Robert Blachford on miracles.

[youtube="nBHGPMC-XKw"]On Miracles[/youtube]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Thank you!

The theatrics were a little distracting, especially since the Clarence Darrow guy reminded me of Tom Smothers and I could never shake that.

I especially enjoyed "I'm not sure if my opponent is arguing with me, or some fundamentalist, perhaps an aunt of mine"
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

These remind me of various debates I've seen on this forum. I suppose the two viewpoints haven't changed all that much.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yes exactly! That's what I was getting at with the "are you confusing me with a fundamentalist?" thing. I feel like I say that ALL THE TIME if I take the side of defending religion in a debate.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Yes exactly! That's what I was getting at with the "are you confusing me with a fundamentalist?" thing. I feel like I say that ALL THE TIME if I take the side of defending religion in a debate.
    Same here, and I'm not even a believer. Though to be fair, I've found myself assuming that regular atheists were militantly inclined during these debates, as well.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I had about a 15 second moment where I "realized" that Chesterton was not, in fact, dead like I presumed him to be, and berated myself for my lack of basic understanding about some of the notable authors in my faith's recent history. Then I clicked the movie and had a deep feeling of relief about my knowledge base standing where I thought it did (which is not that much, but you don't want it to be less!).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    XNXP

This was entertaining and thought provoking. Chesterton was given 90 percent of the good lines, however. I wondered ( upon noticing that ) whether these dramatic re-creations were based on an exact ( or reasonably close ) transcription of the debates or not.

When Darrow brought up Catholicism as being traditionally against science, for example, Chesterton accurately cited monks and other people having preserved much of what we know about history etc. in their archives. It's hard to believe that Darrow wouldn't have countered by conceding this point, and then mentioning Galileo, for example.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.