User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 34

  1. #21
    Branded with Satan murkrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think people who need moral absolutes lack a certain kind of intelligence. Really. CHILDREN need moral absolutes. AUTISTIC PEOPLE need moral absolutes. Supposedly "normal" adults who need moral absolutes apparently have a hard time thinking for themselves.

    I'm not saying that these people can't be intelligent in some form, but they're missing something in their frontal lobe.
    Immanuel Kant needed moral absolutes
    Plato needed moral absolutes
    Even scepticism is a form of absolutism

    I don't think it's a symptom of stupidity.
    wails from the crypt.

  2. #22
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    Immanuel Kant needed moral absolutes
    Plato needed moral absolutes
    Even scepticism is a form of absolutism

    I don't think it's a symptom of stupidity.
    I said it's a symptom of a lack of a certain kind of intelligence. Perhaps people who lack emotional intelligence versus IQ?

  3. #23
    Branded with Satan murkrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    sometimes its bc applying a judgement to different situations is too hard for them.
    Tell me how you could make a judgment if you did not have an absolute to judge it by.
    wails from the crypt.

  4. #24
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    Tell me how you could make a judgment if you did not have an absolute to judge it by.
    Contextual assessment. Circumstance. Mitigating factors. Sure, the absolute might be that killing another man is wrong, but *why* did that person do it makes all the difference in the world.

    When I think "moral absolutes" I think of a parent who commands their child to do something "because I said so." I think of Roman Catholics who won't allow congregants to take communion because they've divorced, even if the divorce was because of serious physical and mental abuse.

    Perhaps you and I are speaking of two different things, and if we are, I apologize for my error.

  5. #25
    Branded with Satan murkrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I said it's a symptom of a lack of a certain kind of intelligence. Perhaps people who lack emotional intelligence versus IQ?
    I agree that the development of a system to judge actions by could be a result of an unwillingness to rely on clearly inconstant and compromising sensations.
    wails from the crypt.

  6. #26
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    Tell me how you could make a judgment if you did not have an absolute to judge it by.
    For instance...

    I think your comment shows that people do need absolutes to find gray areas. I don't even know what the heck it is I said. was that a judgement?

    wat is a judgement anyways? haha

    i think the bad part of "moral absolutism" is that its not good for dialogue. but if two people with extremely polar opposite views can carry a constructive dialogue, then whats the big deal?

  7. #27
    Branded with Satan murkrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Contextual assessment. Circumstance. Mitigating factors. Sure, the absolute might be that killing another man is wrong, but *why* did that person do it makes all the difference in the world.

    When I think "moral absolutes" I think of a parent who commands their child to do something "because I said so." I think of Roman Catholics who won't allow congregants to take communion because they've divorced, even if the divorce was because of serious physical and mental abuse.

    Perhaps you and I are speaking of two different things, and if we are, I apologize for my error.
    Why would a Catholic allow someone who has broken the sanctity of the church's sacraments to partake in the body of Christ?

    The function of annulment is present in order for the church to forgive, if that function has not be used then clearly they do not forgive the transgression.

    However I think we are talking about different things.

    I am talking about moral absolutes which form the basis for moral judgments, the systems which define a person for example.

    You are (I assume) talking about moral absolutes as in the judgments which follow (at times mistakenly) from what I am talking about, such as "Abortion isn't murder".
    wails from the crypt.

  8. #28
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    I agree that the development of a system to judge actions by could be a result of an unwillingness to rely on clearly inconstant and compromising sensations.
    Please. That's oversimplifying emotional intelligence in an attempt to reduce it to something unnecessary, when in fact it a crucial part of our humanity and continued survival.

    I'm not fooled by your hug smiley.

  9. #29
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    Why would a Catholic allow someone who has broken the sanctity of the church's sacraments to partake in the body of Christ?

    The function of annulment is present in order for the church to forgive, if that function has not be used then clearly they do not forgive the transgression.
    Divorcing an abusive spouse isn't "breaking the body of Christ, " and I find the very notion of excommunicating people decidedly UN-Christian, but that isn't the point here.

    I'm not going to argue with someone with Catholic views, or anyone else who follows a strict schedule of seemingly arbitrary yet inflexible moral absolutes.

  10. #30
    Branded with Satan murkrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    I'm not Catholic and I don't follow a strict schedule of inflexible moral absolutes.

    My motivation is to challenge the weak reasoning of others and invite the same challenge onto myself.
    wails from the crypt.

Similar Threads

  1. Why do we do the things we do?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 12:28 PM
  2. Why do we die?
    By JocktheMotie in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 03:14 PM
  3. Why do we not want those we care about to do drugs?
    By KarenParker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 02:29 PM
  4. how do we learn morals
    By passingby in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-26-2008, 10:15 PM
  5. Why Do We Find Violence/Misfortune Funny?
    By RansomedbyFire in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO