• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are some things ugly and others beautiful?

coberst

Why are some things ugly and others beautiful?

The distinguishing characteristic between organic and inorganic motif is movement. Movement can manifest itself simply through growth or volitional locomotion. The basic characteristic of inorganic crystallinity is not, however, entirely missing in organic bodies. Trees have their annual rings, leaves display systematic structure, these characteristics are however often veiled and hidden from the observers eye or partially obscured by principles such as the law of motion.

The basic characteristics of inorganic crystallinity are “(a) delimitation by regular surfaces conjoined at angles and (b) absolute stereometric and planimetric symmetry.” Art deals with inorganic substances; primitive wo/man unavoidably, and most likely unconsciously, asked the question how would nature do it?

What prevents the formal law of inorganic things, i.e. crystallization, from dominating all attempts to depict organic things? The laws of motion characteristic of inorganic things “compel the continuous rearrangement of molecules, which permits them to coalesce into a symmetrical structure only during pauses in the process of motion”.

In addition to motion a second characteristic of organic matter is curvature. Inorganic matter often appears in a shapeless state while organic matter generally appears in a state of curvature.

“Thus man found himself faced with the task of reproducing an organic natural being in dead matter. We must keep firmly in mind that this called not for imitation or lateral portrayal but for competition. If conceptual requirements demanded a depiction of a four-legged creature, the primitive artist was not compelled to portray a specific individual or, even less, an accidental attitude of that individual. He needed instead to depict a representative of the given species with no intent to individualize.”

In the attempt to adopt the principles of inorganic matter while simultaneously attempting to place the human species as being above that of nature required that the artist “depict a representative of a given species with no intent to individualize.” When portraying organic matter the artist must record it paused in mid motion.

Once it was deemed acceptable to depict organic matter in motion, stopped motion but nevertheless motion, “transitory and accidental qualities entered art”. This was a moment of great consequence for art; perhaps even more important than was the introduction of organic motifs.

An object in motion is an object that tends to lose its symmetry and proportionality, vital characteristics of crystalline structure. “Even this limited movement meant the loss of absolute symmetry; thus asymmetry came to accompany curvature.”

The artist must attempt to make this absence of absolute symmetry minimally apparent. Symmetry determines the relationship between the left and right sides of a figure. Proportion determines the relationship between the upper and lower parts of the figure.

When a thing of nature fails to conform to instinctive views of minimal acceptability of symmetry and/or proportionality “we describe it as ugly. A person’s face might exhibit the most punctilious symmetry, but if the forehead is too low, the cheeks too broad, or the nose too long, we call the whole thing unattractive without there being the slightest possibility of disagreement.”

Quotes from Historical Grammar of the Visual Arts by Alois Riegl

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Beauty is something of universal appreciation. Ugliness is something we try to avoid with all our hearts. I think beauty is best used for things that aren't up for debate, like the love of a mother of a child at its birth, that's beautiful. In the same way, war is ugly.

I think I mean to say, if it's subjective, it's not a perfect embodiment of either. :D

lane777

nevermore
Look into Phi 1.618 a.k.a. The Golden Number.

It doesn't really answer your question, but it may be of interest.

shimsham

MBTI Type
infj
I think that people generally find simplicity, order, symmetry, and pattern to be beautiful more easily than they find disorder, complexity, and stochasticity to be. Thus, asymmetry and disorder may be thought of as "components" of ugliness.

But, that doesn't mean that something that originally strikes a person as unpleasant can't eventually become beautiful to them through familiarity. I think dissonance in music is a really good example of this (Consonance and dissonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The more you listen to music that integrates dissonant sounds into it, the more you grow to love it, and the more beautiful it seems. In fact, it's often the music that challenges me in this way that I grow to love and find beautiful beyond the music that I like from the get-go.

I think the same phenomenon can apply to visual perceptions of beauty and ugliness, but perhaps not as readily (abstract expressionist works might be a good example).

Taizic

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
EII
I suppose it's the fact of balance. Without one, where is the other, and etc. How would we know what's beautiful if we didn't know what is (so to say) ugly. Of course some find ugly things to be beautiful, and some find beautiful things to be not as artistic or original.

I suppose it's something like that ^_^

wank

MBTI Type
free
Enneagram
nope
I pose that there is neither and it becomes a matter of that which conforms to our ego's repetition and perspective one way or another. They are equally subjective words that needn't necessarily pose polarities but singular instances unto themselves. Parts of a greater whole(not itself outside the bounds of such words[although along this line the division in those words becomes verbose]).

Also,...
...an object in motion...

I come to wonder if that there would be an object without motion. lol,... in context a matter of entropy.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Beauty is a level of perfection and vice versa for ugly.